Here we go again..... 53 Skylark Resto

Only Buicks

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just read through your thread and what a great job your doing. I am going to agree with the others as to the powder coating. The cost is penny's in comparison to paint and the durability and finish is far superior. Great job. I will be watching this build with enthusiasm of the next progress...

Here are some recent pictures. I have had my share of do-overs recently. I spent a good part of Thanksgiving weekend bleeding brakes and tearing the system apart only to find out that the Booster rebuild was botched. That's been sent back out to see what can be done. This past weekend I got the engine fired up for the first time to find a major leak from the rear main, so this has now been removed and sent back to the rebuilder. Better this all happens now than when the project is complete but why can't things be done correctly the first time?

Some pictures follow of the paint. Believe it or not it is Blue.

post-49801-143139284349_thumb.jpg

post-49801-143139284355_thumb.jpg

post-49801-143139284361_thumb.jpeg

post-49801-143139284367_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliment and enthusiasm Dan. Maybe powder coating on the next one, way to far into this one to turn back that far.

Glenn,

That is exactly what my point was, next time around. It is obvious your way to far down the road to revisit that issue. Your work is first class all the way. Really like what your doing. Your car is just one more example of first class craftsmanship. Can't wait to see the final product. Keep the progress pics coming.

No wonder my ears were ringing. No, we do not use the BCA website. We use Go Daddy.

About the paint, Did the entire car get painted already? If not, how do you match the metallic when painting piece by piece?

No wonder my ears were ringing. No, we do not use the BCA website. We use Go Daddy.

About the paint, Did the entire car get painted already? If not, how do you match the metallic when painting piece by piece?

John,

Why aren't you using the BCA site for posting?

As far as painting goes, the tub and trunk lid where done together, the really isn't much paint on the tub and the only big piece that actually buts up against it it the trunk lid. All of the other panels and hood will be painted at the same time. The average size paint booth does not have enough room to do the tub and all panels at the same time. THis is how all of my cars have been painted and so far I have not run into a problem with any mis-match.

We did not use that because we did not know about it before signing up for the Go Daddy site. Also it seemed we'd need someone with more expertise to program a site for use with the BCA host. The Go Daddy host has programing software attached to it. We were told the BCA site required us to have our own programing software. And we did not have any.

The paint looks really nice Glenn. I'm lovin that color.

• 5 weeks later...
Got the Doors on today and finally was able to push it out doors to see the color in the sun light.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]173525[/ATTACH]

Tony V is gonna be pissed when you start winning his awards at the local shows.

Multiple causes for not driving it much Glenn. When I was having all those issues with the Wheels Vintiques Wire Wheels I acquired the GS. And at that point it seems any time I went anywhere it was in the GS. So I began to distrust the 56 and I began to just use it locally, causing some additional issues for several years, one of which is I had the tubes I used with the wire wheels installed on my steel rims, and now I need to get those tubes out of there, but $$$ are still tight for me so far this year. Anyway towards the end of last summer I began to drive the 56 a lot more and I plan to use it even more this summer as it really is very reliable. But the GS is going to the Nationals because it is air conditioned and my wife needs that for her health issues.

I'll lie to Tony and tell him your Skylark can never measure up to his. LOL...

Now that's a REAL Buick!...dynaflow already drooling on the driveway.:D

LOL Willie. For any new Dynaflow owners, if yours is leaking less than this, don't worry about it...LOL...

Sorry Glenn...but it does look like what Willie said...

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2010 at 6:59 PM, ewing said:

what a great car.

Is it originally a maroon car with a blue interior?

Or since it looks repainted blue, was the interior colour changed.?

I really like the red exterior and blue interior colour combination, but I suspect that it wasn't an offered combination in the 53 Skylark.

When it is done , I can offer my garage space for storage, but for no more than 10 years.

Just going over this thread today...also wondering if the "Only Buicks" '53 Skylark was completed. Hope we hear from Glenn again soon.

In the meantime, wanted to reply to Ewing's 2010 comment, to assure him that at least one 1953 Skylark left the factory in Mandarin Red with a Blue and White interior...in 1978, we pulled it out of the  original owners garage, where it had sat with 30,000 miles on the odometer since 1960. Although the factory Mandarin Red lacquer looked maroon in the shade, it had a copper orange blush to it that became visible in the sunlight...and that actually went pretty good with the somewhat silvery blue leather, we thought. The Skylark had been obtained new from the area Buick Zone folks by the selling dealer in Newton Kansas...how or by whom it was ordered in that color scheme was unknown to him. We owned the Skylark for two years, and then sold it to a fellow who remembered it as a child...his parents lived across the street from the original owner. Last we knew, he still has it.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 5.13.43 PM.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Only Buicks said:

Hi All,

Its been quite awhile since I've posted anything about the progress on this 53. She was neglected, put into storage twice and moved to a new home in Maine, but the restoration has been back underway for a few months now.

IMG_2522-2.JPG.0b5a8c892d80360e9ae5fa14a1e3ce79.JPG

IMG_2523-2.JPG.44a411963b4f631037f851f1b2addd29.JPG

IMG_2524-2.JPG.8461ed946b323734677a7648e5f3048a.JPG

Welcome back Glenn. Looks like another stunning restoration. Looking forward to further details and pictures.

• Like 1