Here we go again..... 53 Skylark Resto

Only Buicks

Guest Rob McDonald

Hey John, careful with the snow tire cracks. Some of us only get two seasons - Winter and Poor Skating (from Edmonton, Alberta).

Glenn, nice looking lark to start with. I have a question that you may be able to answer, I am doing a resto on a 53 lark also . On the floor pans do you know if the complete floor pan should be red oxide or should it be painted white from the rear axle area back, under the fuel tank and trunk area? Thanks, ray.

what a great car.

Is it originally a maroon car with a blue interior?

Or since it looks repainted blue, was the interior colour changed.?

I really like the red exterior and blue interior colour combination, but I suspect that it wasn't an offered combination in the 53 Skylark.

When it is done , I can offer my garage space for storage, but for no more than 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
Glenn, nice looking lark to start with. I have a question that you may be able to answer, I am doing a resto on a 53 lark also . On the floor pans do you know if the complete floor pan should be red oxide or should it be painted white from the rear axle area back, under the fuel tank and trunk area? Thanks, ray.

Ray,

My belief is that the wheel well color (white or red) was sprayed on after the body was assembled, notice in my pictures that the white paint did not extend beyond the gravel guards, which means they were in place when the wheel wells were sprayed. My last Skylark was the same way.

Would love to see some pictures of your project.

Glenn

what a great car.

Is it originally a maroon car with a blue interior?

Or since it looks repainted blue, was the interior colour changed.?

I really like the red exterior and blue interior colour combination, but I suspect that it wasn't an offered combination in the 53 Skylark.

When it is done , I can offer my garage space for storage, but for no more than 10 years.

John, this car was originally Mandarin Red with Red/White interior. I think I will do this one Imperial Blue with blue/white interior & white top.

I'll keep your offer for storage in mind. thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

Guest Silverghost

I love these cars !

How many 1953 & 1954 Skylark convertibles were ever built ?

How many would you suspect are known to still exist today ?

I love these cars !

How many 1953 & 1954 Skylark convertibles were ever built ?

How many would you suspect are known to still exist today ?

About 1690 were built for 1953, only about half that many in 1954. I suspect the survival rate is pretty high as these were special cars when they came out of the factory.

Glenn

• 3 months later...

It has been several months since I posted any pictures, progress has been slow to say the least. Finally have the body completely stripped and removed from the chassis. Next will be to completely strip the chassis. Will post more pictures when there's something worth seeing.

post-49801-14313853391_thumb.jpg

post-49801-143138533916_thumb.jpg

post-49801-143138533921_thumb.jpg

post-49801-143138533925_thumb.jpg

post-49801-143138533929_thumb.jpg

It has been several months since I posted any pictures, progress has been slow to say the least. Finally have the body completely stripped and removed from the chassis. Next will be to completely strip the chassis. Will post more pictures when there's something worth seeing.

Something worth seeing???? Wonderful job! Another job on a convertible that is helping me along with mine. I hope to see more as you advance!

Ray,

My belief is that the wheel well color (white or red) was sprayed on after the body was assembled, notice in my pictures that the white paint did not extend beyond the gravel guards, which means they were in place when the wheel wells were sprayed. My last Skylark was the same way.

Would love to see some pictures of your project.

Glenn

I have noticed on my '47 56C that under the rear wheel wells are also this "mud red" color. Is this normal? I want to make sure that when I get to that point putting my car back on and together that I do this correctly.

• 2 months later...

Glenn, enjoyed meeting you in Danvers. And I must say that while there, and while sitting under the tent housing the Landau, the '54 Slylark and that gorgeous '53 Skylark, I gained a new appreciation and respect for the '53 Skylark. I have seen them around for years but only upon sitting in front of and about eye to eye with that one and looking at it for a couple of hours straigt did I come to fully appreciate the low belt line and graceful upswing of the rear fender and the sporty rear wheel cut out. They are indeed a beautiful and classic example of some of Buicks finest design.

Glad to see you motivated and jumping back on it. Any chance of making Charlotte? :)

Hello Mr. Earl,

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. The 54 Skylark under the tent is what has given me the motivation to get it in gear. What a gorgeous car. Not sure if you spoke with the owner but that was a 16 year restoration, that kind of time I don't have so I better get my backside in gear!

Hello Mr. Earl,

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. The 54 Skylark under the tent is what has given me the motivation to get it in gear. What a gorgeous car. Not sure if you spoke with the owner but that was a 16 year restoration, that kind of time I don't have so I better get my backside in gear!

Oh, I figured it was the 53 Skylark that set your seat on fire again. I know Steve aka Stevali aka Mario very well. I furnished a few parts over the last few months and we on the 54B forum pushed him to get 'er done. He only finished the car a couple of days before the start of the meet. In fact I brought a couple of vent cranks that were the finishing touches.

Yep, time slips up on you that's for sure. I don't how I got to be 39 so fast. :D

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Lamar,

The 53 under the tent I am very intimate with as I restored the car in 2000 - 2002, drove it for 2 years and then sold it to Tony who keeps it in tip top shape. 54 Skylarks really fluff my skirt (almost as much as 53's) someday I will own one of each.

Guest martylum

Hi Glenn-I sent you an e-mail and here's that photo of the stencil I mentioned. It's on the LH outer frame rail under the door.

Martin Lum

53 Skylark restoration

post-54166-143138605431_thumb.jpg

Glenn and Lamar - you two blokes really have to stop talking dirty, under tents and fluffing skirts!!!, what next!!!

So Glenn, what's the list of cars you have already restored?

Hi Stuart,

Let's see......

41 Ford Convertible (lost interest and sold to do the next)

41 Super Convertible

53 Skylark

38 Special 4-door convertible

55 Century Convertible

40 Ford Convertible

53 Skylark (under restoration)

That's it so far, got hooked on this crazy hobby in 2000

How about yourself, you have some real lookers, love that fastback!

I think I sent you some parts last winter, just can't remember what it was that you bought from me on ebay, something for your 36????

• 4 weeks later...

:) Way to go Glenn. Nice to see another 53 Skylark being restored. My 53 Skylark was the same blue exterior and black top. I went with the Victorian Maroon and White top for my restoration. Look forward to your progress and eventual completion!

Cheers,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Before and after pics of bottom of car. Removed about 30 lbs of undercoating. Just about ready to send off to the sandblaster. Now it's on to removing the undercoating from the fenders. What a pain in the A==.

Someone had asked a question wondering how much of the rear wheel wells got painted white, looks like just about the complete rear is painted white.

post-49801-143138663249_thumb.jpg

post-49801-143138663255_thumb.jpg

Glenn,

Send that frame out and have it Powder Coated!!! You might be REALLY sorry with paint, I know I am!! Attached is the stencil that I found on my frame. I had a company make me one to apply for my restoration. Just a really nice touch! Your 53 looks Fantastic. Good luck to a quick finish. 16 years is a mighty long time!!!

steve apter

54 Skylark under the tent at Danvers that now has 67 "Smiling" miles on the odometer.

post-72136-143138666264_thumb.jpg

post-72136-143138666291_thumb.jpg

Glenn,

Send that frame out and have it Powder Coated!!! You might be REALLY sorry with paint, I know I am!! Attached is the stencil that I found on my frame. I had a company make me one to apply for my restoration. Just a really nice touch! Your 53 looks Fantastic. Good luck to a quick finish. 16 years is a mighty long time!!!

steve apter

54 Skylark under the tent at Danvers that now has 67 "Smiling" miles on the odometer.

Steve,

To late on the frame paint vs powder coating as it is already done and I am not going backwards on it. Although, I do remember how striking your powder coating was in your engine bay.

Who did that stencil for you?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn,

When you figure out how much it costs to prep and paint the frame(Including your time) versus powder coating, you will be amazed at how much cheaper it is to powder coat. If the shop is quality, they will do all of the clean up and blasting along with the powder coating. Not to mention the durability factor. Don't be foolish!!!!!! You are early enough that you can STILL do the frame. DON"T make the same mistake I did!!!!!!!

As to the stencil, I believe it was Quantas in Md. They do it for the Corvette vendors. If you can't find them let me know, and I'll dig out the bill. Remember it is upside down when applied!!

best........

steve apter

• 5 months later...
Guest Julian

(I just sent you some pictures. I have never seen a stencling like this. It's amazing that this survived for over 50 years!)

When I pulled the body off my 42 Olds a couple of years ago, you could still the stenciling on it. The frame was dated 12-5-41. Two days before Pearl Harbor. Like you, I cut a new stencil and painted it back on the frame in the same location.