Craigs List ad Peerless 6-80

Guest BJM

Peerless 6-80's were new for 1926, the company's best year for sales. They had a 116" w.b., a Continental 230.2 cu. in. engine with 63 h.p., and were sold alongside models 6-72 and 8-69. List price was $1,595. Not a lot of money today...but for the same amount you could have easily bought three 4-cylinder Fords or Chevrolets and taken your whole family to California and back on the train to visit Aunt Edna in 1926!

Don't know the true performance, but I have about 30 pages of a sales manual and a complete owners manual for the Six-80...and one of them says "once you get it into speed gear you can travel at any speed between 1 and 75 without shifting again."

Stats: Peerless 6-80s were pretty good sellers -- with 14,525 built 1926-1928. Serial #s for the first series (1926-July 1927) were 350 501- 361 910, with this car being ser.# 357 247.

The 6-80s have longer running boards and shorter front fenders than the 6-81s that came out in August, 1928. They all had rear spares. The engine has the exhaust manifold on the L.S., with the exhaust flowing forward and down instead of the usual backward and down, making it look a little like a Pierce-Arrow Model 80 motor (ca 1925-1927). Came equipped an oil filter and an air filter, and a carb by Stromberg. 6x20 tires with demountable rims. I'd guess 70% came with wood wheels, 20% disc wheels, and 10% wire wheels. Lockheed 4-wheel hydraulic brakes.

I still have the 10-page illustrated ad from when this car was for sale on ebay in 2006 (it came from Redmond, Oregon).

And best of all, if you are a fan of GM and it's history, Louis Chevrolet drove a 6-80 Sedan!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Thanks Jeff. I thought this was a car that had previously been offered.

Please note this was on the Site mash. Previously there was not a Peerless option. Somebody must have requested it.