Nebraska 'junk'car law!

Guest Classic50s

Guest Classic50s

Dear Folks,

I have lived in Nebraska my whole 21 years and have owned 13 classic cars. Some pulled out of peoples driveways some out of fields that sat for 35 years. As of 2007 or 2008 Nebraska passed a 'junk' car law stating that if a car sits without current plates and is unoperable that car is considered abandoned even if it sits for 6 YES SIX hours of not being worked on:eek:. Most people pass Nebraska for having little in good pickings for classic cars but its our way of life to save stuff. Packards, Buicks, Chryslers, Desotos, Studebakers, Dodges fill junkyards from border to border. Nebraskas climate is moderate to car bodies. so they tend to usually be in decent shape especially in the sand hills out west. I live about 2 blocks from a salvage yard (owner is a friend of mine). Has had it goin for 35 years now and has cars back to the late 30's in there. 2 door Plymouths, 2 door Buicks, Fords, Studebakers, Desotos, Chevys, Fords in various states of repair but I used to know of 2 other salvage yards and they are gone. If you want to know what I mean take the Old Lincoln Highway from Columbus to North Platte or Highway 34 from York to Grand Island. Almost every City specified in that route has 'old cars'. You see Model Ts in Gibbon plus some other neat 20's-50's rides in various states of repair, Silver Creek with 58 and 59 chevys everywhere and some Olds and Several Pontiacs, a Kaiser, 26-28 Stude 2 door, 46 Chrysler, etc, etc even some salvage yards in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cornfields. I heard of a auction in 07 in Minden where 350 classic cars were being auctioned off from the 30s to 60's and if they didnt bring scrap price they would be scrapped. From a fellow car guy in my hometown who went only about 70 were bid on and of those about 20 were just bid on to get some parts then scrap the rest of the car! There were 50's cadillacs, and buicks in there. some of the last 'untouched' salvage yards for our babys sit still under threat in Nebraska. I have seen well over 25 places to buy old cars. Muscle is around in them but most are older then that! If you want to go on a classic car 'diamond in the rough' trip Nebraska is the place to go before its to late. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. I know of many cars and places with stuff so if you are looking for a specific car let me know and ille let you know if I have seen or heard of anything. yes I even know where there is a 53 Hudson and even heard rumors about a DEUSENBURG rumored to be sitting by a barn about 25 miles from here with a story to the car as to why its sitting outside for 30 years but havent seen it so cant tell ya if its true. If you want a one stop shop for a project try the sand hills (eastern wyoming western nebraska, hardly ever rains there) theres a big salvage yard in wyoming with a website called wyomingclassiccars.com if you want to check them out.

If the definition of "abandoned" is that restrictive, that's why you need to keep a keen eye on what lawmakers are doing. Their intentions may be the best, but it's pretty obvious a lot of them don't think past lunchtime as to what the long-term effects of their well-intentioned but misguided legislation will be.

You're 21, hoss. VOTE!! and let them know you're not afraid to work to unseat them. Fear of losing their legislative seat drives a great majority of entrenched politicians.

Guest Silverghost

It would not surprise me one bit to hear that the lawmaker who wrote this law had a brother-in-law or big campaign donor in the scrap metal business !

Guest Tarheel

I would suggest that the real motive behind these laws, which are occurring in many towns, are not that of "abandonment" concerns or about community appearance, but a motive to raise property taxes. They see these as unlicensed (untaxed) vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rsteere

You need to read the law closely. In the Omaha area you are allowed up to 2 cars sitting. 1 can be used for parts and the other being worked on. The key is to keep them covered up. Fitted covers are required but many times they will over look the cheap blue tarps. The law inforcement is basically using the rule if it is covered it doesn't exsist. Terheel is correct they are looking to collect taxes and keep people from dragging home "field queens" and filling up there yards. Many of the farmers are being hit by the EPA. If you remember a few years back they were flying over fields and making people clean up. I know of 3 illegal salvage yards they discovered.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldschoolauto

I was at that Minden Car Auction back in 07...most of those cars went to the crusher...it only took a few hours for that auction to sell all those cars...there were three rings going at the same time...anyway I bought a few old chevy parts cars...:D