1930 Oldsmobile Convertible Roadster Project

Guest hfxtoolman

Guest hfxtoolman

Greetings to all from Herring Cove, Nova Scotia

I am finally getting started on the restoration of my 1930 Olds Convertible Roadster.

I bought this car as an abandoned project in Mississauga, Ontario in 2006.

The car has been in some stage or other of restoration since about 1964(so I've been told), under the direction of at least 3 previous owners, and I understand it's been moved at least 7 times in its dismantled state.

In the course of all this activity, at least one or two boxes of parts have gone missing.

Missing parts include the golf door, along with all its hardware, hinges for the drivers door, rumble seat steps, headlight stanchions, etc.

In addition, an assortment of parts including the top and bottom of the windshield frame, and the headlight and throttle levers, were lost by a chrome plating shop in 1982.

This all adds to the challenge, of course.

I will try to post a picture I took in Sept this year.(the date stamp says August, but it's wrong.

I am going to make the bottom of the windshield frame of aluminum. I will keep posting progress reports as progress is made

Errol Pierce

Edited by hfxtoolman (see edit history)

That will be beautiful when done. I will keep my eyes peeled for parts. You might scroll down to the Oldsmobile forum in case you have not already done so, and ask there for your parts, too.

post-37352-143138370968_thumb.jpg

Guest hfxtoolman

Thanks for the encouraging words, Keiser31.

BTW, where is that yellow car? A friend gave me a copy of that picture from a calendar.

I have a thread going in the Olds Buy/sell forum for three weeks now. Lots of visitors, but no replies as yet.

Rgds

Errol

Edited by hfxtoolman
misspelling (see edit history)

Thanks for the encouraging words, Keiser31.

BTW, where is that yellow car? A friend gave me a copy of that picture from a calendar.

I have a thread going in the Olds Buy/sell forum for three weeks now. Lots of visitors, but no replies as yet.

Rgds

Errol

That's a California license plate on the yellow car, but not sure what area.

Good luck Errol...................So many cars have met this one's fate both great and small, where they were torn apart and never touched again. To this day cars are dismantled and never touched again. I took my Chrysler down some 35 years ago; however I have tried to remain loyal to it and do it justice.

Edited by Harry J. (see edit history)

Guest hfxtoolman

Greetings.

When I first bought my car, one of the missing pats was the oil filter, along with the adapter which goes on the block.

I was able to scale a drawing in the "Details of Construction" brochure,

and then it's off to the auto parts store to measure spin on filers,

I found that the filter used on the Cummins diesel in a Dodge pickup was very close to the right diameter and length needed.

I made up an adapter from aluminum and when I put the filter on with its white paint, I thought it looked very out of place. I took the filter off and painted it black, and it's not so bad.

In the meantime, another member gave me an original filter adapter, so now I'd like to find an original filter and modify it to hide a modern element inside.

So long for now.

Errol Pierce

post-71336-143138372633_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest hfxtoolman

Greetings to all

Long time no post!

I'm on vacation in a sunnier climate, back in Herring Cove on Mar 1st.

In the last 3 weeks I've been to two swap meets(West Springfield, MA and

Moultrie, Georgia). Not a 1930 Olds part to be seen!

Also two car shows(Venice and Sarasota, FL).

I picked up a few parts from forum member OLCROW in Macclenny, FL last weekend. Great guy!!

So far, I've had no luck whatsoever in finding the Fascia/Windshield frame

bottom member. It looks like I'm going to make a wooden pattern and have it cast in bronze, then chrome plated.

When I bought the car, the wooden body frame had been replaced, but when the panels are put on, some problems become evident. I've started installing and aligning the panels. More to come, with pictures.

Rgds

Errol Pierce

• 3 months later...
Guest stephen48

Hi Errol.

I came across the picture of your 1930 Oldsmobile while doing an image search on Google.

I have a 1930 Oldsmobile converible roadster which I bought in 1983 and did a full ground up restoration.

If you need any information please ask and hopefully I may be able to assist. Mine is the same as yours but is right hand drive being in New Zealand where it was sold new in 1930.

I will try to post a photograph when I learn how.This is my first attempt at this forum.

Regards, Stephen.

Hi Errol.

I came across the picture of your 1930 Oldsmobile while doing an image search on Google.

I have a 1930 Oldsmobile converible roadster which I bought in 1983 and did a full ground up restoration.

If you need any information please ask and hopefully I may be able to assist. Mine is the same as yours but is right hand drive being in New Zealand where it was sold new in 1930.

I will try to post a photograph when I learn how.This is my first attempt at this forum.

Regards, Stephen.

I can help you post a photo if you want to send it to me.

keiser31@charter.net

Guest stephen48

Thank you for your advice.Hopefully I have now worked out how to do it so here goes.If not I will try again !:confused:

post-76051-143138558335_thumb.jpg

Guest T.H.Bear

Stephen48

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

I saw the great photo of your 1930 Olds and would like to ask you a question about it.

<o:p> </o:p>

I write novels and at present I am into one in which, one of the characters drives just such a vehicle.

I would like to have your permission to use your picture in this book.

If you would like to know more about me before you decide, you may click on http://www.thbear.us and view my web site.

My email address is thbear@embarqmail.com

Thank you for your time.

Bear

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hfxtoolman

Greetings Stephen48

Thanks for posting the beautiful pics of your car.

As regards the windshield piece I need, I have

taken a large number of measurements from 2

cars I have been fortunate enough to visit.

I am going to make this piece from a piece of

solid aluminum.

To this end, a few days ago I purchased a piece

of aluminum plate 2 3/4" X 9" X 42".

I also acquired a pantograph milling machine.

Once I have this installed in my shop, I plan to

mock the piece up as an assemblage of aluminum

and plexiglas pieces. Once I get something that

fits, I will "copy" it onto my piece of plate.

By the time I finish, much of it will be 1/4 - 1/2"

thick! A lot of chips will have been swept up by then!!

Rgds

Errol

Edited by hfxtoolman
errors (see edit history)

Guest stephen48

Hi Errol. It is good to hear that things are underway and hope to see updates on your progress in the forum. Incidentally I was able to obtain the correct rubber that fits into this piece between the windscreen glass, from one of the known suppliers in USA.That rubber would give you the correct dimensions for the channel if you do not already have this.(The original casting is in two halves with overlaping tabs in the centre.)

Regards, Stephen

Guest hfxtoolman

Hello Stephen

I would be very interested in the details of the rubber.

Both of the cars I visited had rubber in the groove, so it was difficult to impossible to get a good look at the groove itself.

I knew the originals were made in two pieces. I have assumed this is because it would be easier to cast that way. I am making it in one piece because it's easier for me to visualize and machine that way. I do intend to make the little bosses inside and out where the pieces meet.

Thanks again.

Errol

Guest stephen48

The lower and upper windscreen rubbers were obtained from Metro Moulded Parts as well as various other rubber items. I also obtained some rubber parts from Lynn Steele Rubber.The side window frame channel rubbers were from Karr Rubber Manufacturing California.

I note you are missing rumble seat steps.I aquired reproduction copies of these from Pro Antique.They were the same as the originals.No one had the rubber mounts that go between the bumber irons and bars but then I discovered they were exactly the same as Bedford Truck cab mounting rubbers so that is what I used.

Hope this helps. Regards, Stephen.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest hfxtoolman

Hello to all. It's been a while.

In Aug 2011, we had a serious basement flood here. 23" f water all through the basement, rec room, machine shop, etc.

We are now just about back to normal, whatever that means, and my attention is turning back to the olds. Finally!!

I have started building a rotisserie for the body shell(100% made from reclaimed junk) and hope to have the body on it

in the next week or so.

I have reversed direction on the missing windshield frame/fascia and decided to make a pattern and have the piece cast.

I'm soon going to have to decide whether to make it out of polished aluminum or chrome-plated brass.

After the flood the box with most of my door hinges disappeared. They're not lost, I just don't know where they are!!

Pictures coming soon.

Rgds

Errol