New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

Guest patmelendy

I, too, need a gasket. Brian Slowe finally has my car and will be transplanting the rebuilt 16v into The Maz in the next couple of weeks. The one part that is missing is the gasket.

So if you have them, let me know so we can arrange to one shipped pronto to Philly.

Guest cliffv

Just talked with Chris@TurbosUnleashed. He stated he bought a 16v to test another sample gasket on, and to have a TC to review what parts they can Reman.. the gaskets are still a go but pushed out to the first of the yr. 2013. So it's stay tuned for now. as we 16v owner hope to see replacment gaskets and back ups

• 1 month later...
Just talked with Chris@TurbosUnleashed. He stated he bought a 16v to test another sample gasket on, and to have a TC to review what parts they can Reman.. the gaskets are still a go but pushed out to the first of the yr. 2013. So it's stay tuned for now. as we 16v owner hope to see replacment gaskets and back ups

Just great! I managed to blow out the temp gasket Brian installed in my engine on the ride home today. Lousy traffic and worse drivers made me lose my temper. Like any intelligent person, I took out my frustrations by mashing the gas pedal. Now I have a nice big puddle of oil under the car. :-(

Ssooo, any chance those gaskets will be ready before the 1st of the year?

Guest TC42-MRP

Great news thanks for keeping us all in the loop of this most needed part for 16v owners. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
add my name to the list for one cover gasket---John Wallauch in Sacramento CA

Hey John, I thought you were selling your 16v TC. So now you are buying a valve cover gasket for it? Why, is it leaking?

Just great! I managed to blow out the temp gasket Brian installed in my engine on the ride home today. Lousy traffic and worse drivers made me lose my temper. Like any intelligent person, I took out my frustrations by mashing the gas pedal. Now I have a nice big puddle of oil under the car. :-(

Ssooo, any chance those gaskets will be ready before the 1st of the year?

And you think that mashing the gas pedal will blow out the valve cover gasket??? REALLY?

I have a question Hemi. Does anyone make sheets of the material used? I worked in a cardboard box factory in college. The have huge presses with razor sharp patterns for stamping out the box patterns. It seems to me that an air powered press with a fast speed could be used to cut the gaskets out. I'm guessing that's the way that the composite gaskets are cut. Kchunk, Kchunk, and so on. The only real cost is in making the pattern accurately.

I have to make some composite gaskets for my 29 year old Green Machine trimmer. I still have the material from 50 years ago along with the hole punches from my player piano days.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to throw a question out there and see what people think. When I got my engine rebuilt, a temporary seal was put in that was supposed to last until someone came out with real gaskets. The only other option was to use some kind of sealer (silicon?) instead. I was told this wasn't pursued as it would "glue" the valve cover into its seat. Given our circumstances, is this a viable alternative or will it cause more problems than it solves.

I have a question Hemi. Does anyone make sheets of the material used? I worked in a cardboard box factory in college. The have huge presses with razor sharp patterns for stamping out the box patterns. It seems to me that an air powered press with a fast speed could be used to cut the gaskets out. I'm guessing that's the way that the composite gaskets are cut. Kchunk, Kchunk, and so on. The only real cost is in making the pattern accurately.

I have to make some composite gaskets for my 29 year old Green Machine trimmer. I still have the material from 50 years ago along with the hole punches from my player piano days.

Here's a hare brained thought. Is there a gasket from another car that is close enough to alter to fit ours? Was just trolling on ebay and found a valve cover gasket for the Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC DOHC. Looks similar in layout to ours. Does anyone have the dimensions of our gasket to see how close the two might be?

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to the valve cover gaskets that Chris@TurbosUnleashed was going to make? I ordered two sets- one I need and one to help get to the minimum order.

The last posting about this said the prototype was in testing in a car. What happened?

Howie

1989 16 valve (original owner)

• 5 months later...
Guest joelzip

Sent out payment for the mold, should be 2-3 weeks for the first prototype to return. Once it's verified to work I have another 2 weeks before the mother load comes in. This will include a full gasket with correct height matching spark plug gaskets. I'm going to try and work something out with the vendors to include this product as well. I will keep everyone posted.

Sent out payment for the mold, should be 2-3 weeks for the first prototype to return. Once it's verified to work I have another 2 weeks before the mother load comes in. This will include a full gasket with correct height matching spark plug gaskets. I'm going to try and work something out with the vendors to include this product as well. I will keep everyone posted.

Kudos on you for taking on this project. I have a V6, but if I had a 16-V, I would be tickled silly and thanking profusely.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest joelzip

Good news, center spark plug gaskets are done! Still waiting for the 1st prototype valve cover gasket that should be done the 26th. Here are pictures of the new spark plug hole gaskets that will work in conjunction with the full valve cover gasket.

post-94844-143142434183_thumb.jpg

post-94844-143142434214_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest joelzip

Second round of samples came and there are errors. I didn't have the NOS gasket when we started so we were adding onto an old junky compressed gasket for the new ones and it wasn't working out too well. So long story short the first tooling is going in the trash and we are starting over by duplicating the OEM NOS gasket that we now have in hand. I know its for the best. Here's a teaser pic of the samples, probably the most gaskets you will ever see in one pic until the real ones are done. These are off to the trash!

post-94844-143142487146_thumb.jpg

post-94844-143142487148_thumb.jpg

post-94844-143142487151_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I just installed one of these and the job was relatively easy, even for someone with my limited mechanical skills.  I followed his instructions to the letter.  My old gasket was the original one and it was intact, but rock hard.  I used Q tips to clean out the groove.  The toughest part of the job was removing the old spark plug rings.  I finally got a small pick and just dug them out.   I could not find torque specs anywhere.  Since the 8v engine calls for 105 inch pounds I figured that might work, but as I was tightening the new gasket it just seemed "right" at 80 in. lbs.  My major leak is now gone.  I'm very happy with this part and hope he sells enough to make a profit.  Now, if someone will just repro the plug wire looms!

• Like 2

Thank you. The part is off to the mechanic, then once installed, if the car runs with no issues, it will be awesome! Looks like I found a mechanic in Playa and one in Ventura who works on the TC. I'll keep looking for someone in the Thousand Oaks area (where I live) Or the Van Nuys/Encino area where I work, but very happy to have found the other two! This forum has been immensely helpful for a new TC guy. Thank you all!

• 10 months later...