New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

Guest patmelendy

Guest patmelendy

Folks,

Chris@TurbosUnleashed has already done the research and is ready to pull the trigger on having them reproduced. These will be made of the higher quality silicon like the originals, not cheap rubber. It will take a considerable investment on his part to get these made so his major concern is will there be enough demand for them. I know I am in for at least 2 (always good to have a spare). How many others would be interested? From my understanding the price will be somewhere around $150. each or 2 for $250.

Who is in?

Pat

Guest MB91560

Pat, how many gasket sets do you think you have to make before the price will go down ? I have no idea what all it takes to make this gasket set . Can you let use know all the info. it takes to make up this set ? Thinks Bob

Guest chris@turbosunleashed.com
holy crap, that much for a valve cover gasket and you have to buy 2?
Pat, how many gasket sets do you think you have to make before the price will go down ? I have no idea what all it takes to make this gasket set . Can you let use know all the info. it takes to make up this set ? Thinks Bob

Since there is a mold involved any product made in limited quantities is going to be very costly. When the mold price is close to $10k dividing that by 100 potential sales = $100. each. Add the cost of manufacturing each silicon gasket, shipping, other ancillary costs along with a standard vendor profit margin and you can see how the price can add up quickly.

In order for us to move forward with this project we need to get commitments for about 40 gaskets @ $150. each (or 2 for $250. as an incentive to get to that magic number sooner). That leaves about 29 more with the responses we have received so far. We will stock the remaining 60 gaskets, but, the price might be higher.

We will need an unused or very good condition sample of a tube seal gasket in order to reproduce them as well. If it's nothing more then an O-Ring gasket that is readily available we will try to absorb those costs in with the price of the VC gaskets.

Please respond in this thread if you are interested in these gaskets. That way we can get a public count of how many more are needed.

Thank You!

Chris-TU

Guest patmelendy

Bob, Here's the deal. It's a huge investment to have the mold made for the gaskets and o-rings. It's over $10,000 dollors to have the mold made. He needs to see how many people will buy gaskets so he will know whether he is going to have enough orders to offset the investment. The same thing happend to Rick in florida when he had the valves made for the cylinder heads. There was a huge cost upfront, and thats why he wanted to know how many people would be interested in the gaskets for that price. I hope i answered your question. Pat

Guest MB91560

Pat yes I understand, But the gasket that is on my car looks like new . I got this car not running and I need to get it running to see the overall condition of this engine before I obligate my self to buy new gaskets. For all I no this engine may be bad. I may get the time to try and start it in a week are so.I have to work out side and it is cold here now . I have a full time job so I do not have much time to play with my cars. Pat I will say this if this TC starts and runs right I will in on this deal for 1 sets . Bob

Hey Bob, you sent me a related PM, but at the very least, I'd change the oil, pull the plugs, squirt a little lube down in the Cyls and crank it till there is good oil pressure. Then do a quickie compression check on each cyl so you know the genral shape of the motor. Remember throttle open and 6-7 'hits' on each cylinder. Report back whatcha find.

Alan

I would buy two if they come with the spark plug tube seals Alan mentioned.

Of course I'd love to have a valve cover for this cylinder head too but I haven't even found that yet. Maybe then I will buy some 16v wires from TU too...

Hey Alan, yeah it's about time I guess. Ever since Shelgame posted this thread over on turbo-mopar.com

Turbo Mopar Forums

I think I hit the buy it now button a couple minutes after the thread was first posted! The long block turned out to be pretty rough and extremely dirty from storage, but the core parts all look OK. I haven't wanted to say anything about it publicly since it's still a few light years from actually running again. But, if I never tell anybody I have it then I'll probably never find the parts to finish it either!

So far, Todd (4 L-bodies) has been helping me with Masi education and I've torn down the motor completely. The cylinder head looks OK and a friend is running it through the parts washer at work. It was so filthy I couldn't ascertain the condition. The camshafts look really good compared to used Lotus TIII cams! The bores are rusted so it needs an overbore big time, but the crank and rods look good, especially the (monster) crank. Surprisingly even the rod bearings look like they are in great shape!

I'd love to make a complete running motor out of this someday but I know it's probably going to take a long time. If I can find a valve cover and an intake I'll be pretty close though. Know anybody willing to sell those?:D:o

Jeremy how much did you pay off ebay for the 16v short or long block. as I've ben looking for a 16v block as will. you also said everey thing in the motor look heavy duty thats nice to know

cliffv

Jeremy how much did you pay off ebay for the 16v short or long block. as I've ben looking for a 16v block as will. you also said everey thing in the motor look heavy duty thats nice to know

cliffv

The Buy-It-Now was $500 and I think shipping was $125. I got it from Yamato Engine or something like that and they are up in the NW by Vancouver or something. The person that listed the auction incorrectly assumed it was the other factory 2.2L DOHC motor, the 'Turbo III' which used a Lotus head. They are sorta rare but nothing like the Masi TC DOHC stuff, not even close.

But yeah it was a long block so it included the block with fully counterweighted and forged crank shaft, massive Casar rods, forged Mahle pistons with the biggest dish I have ever seen, and the cylinder head still attached with camshafts. Didn't come with valve cover, oil pan, rear main seal housing, manifolds, turbo, accessories or anything. Thankfully at least all the timing sprockets are still attached because I'd really be up **** creek without those.

Here are some pics I have of it so far. It is fully disassembled and a lot cleaner now though. In one picture you can see the car I would like to have this motor in someday.

Index of /masi

[EDIT] sorry didn't realize you have to be logged in to view the thread I posted on the other forum.

Edited by iTurbo (see edit history)

Chris,

Since I supplied the original factory valve cover gasket for this project I suppose I could donate a spark plug tube gasket also. Let me know when you are on my side of town.

Larry

Thanks Larry! Expect a phone call from us.

Chris-TU

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gang,

I shipped a new 16v valve cover gasket to the company that makes my 16v spark plug tube seals about 7 years ago to get a price on having them remade. The price (at that time) was $10k: a one time set-up (tooling) charge to have the mold made. For that price I'd have to sell each gasket for around $100 a piece and have a commitment similar to what Chris is describing here in this thread.

For those of you who know me, I've done this before many times (e.g. spark plug tube seals, thermostat housing gaskets, plug wires, MLS head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, all new valves - both intake and exhaust, new valve springs, valve guides, custom made lightweight lifter buckets, titanium valve spring retainers, turbo to exhaust manifold gaskets, the list goes on and on.

What you see listed above cost me (tens) of thousands to reproduce. The problem is: getting enough people to sign up (and preferrably pre-pay) for their parts. Often times, once you actually shell out your own money to have the parts made and you email back the people who previously "committed" to one or more sets.....you find they either sold the car or can no longer afford to purchase for one reason or another.

I'd like to see them remade too. I'm just not in a position to shell out that kind of $$ right now to have the mold created.

For those who need new spark plug tube seals for the 16v DOHC engine right now feel free to drop me a line as I have plenty in stock - all brand new.

I also have the rod bearings for this engine now as well. For a complete list of the products I keep in stock for the 16v engine - just drop me a line.

All the best,

Rick

www.rdiperformance.com

Your Chrysler TC 16v and Turbo II performance headquarters

i want to know when if ever main bearings are gonna become available again in any size even stock would be nice. i have some nice cometic intake and exhaust mani gaskets, cometic head gasket, and modified t-belt tensioner that rdi was selling for the 16V and also the magnecore wire set made to fit like a stocker. Very nice pieces, quality untouchable

Pat and Chris,

Put me down for two. Definitely need the tube gaskets though. Doesn't work if you have a sealed valve cover only to have the plug wells fill up and pour onto the exhaust manifold. You wind up with the same problem.:(

Larry, thanks for loaning out a NOS gasket for the project! If Christofferson is gonna keep his motor, I'm sure we can twist his arm for 1 or 2.

BTW Larry, not knowing what a NOS gasket looks like, are the 2) half moon gaskets for the cams on the drivers side of the head part of the gasket? Or are these separate pieces too? If separate, I need those too!

Todd

BTW if you want to get aggressive about this you might want to start putting together a group email listing for 16V Masi owners to contact them. I did this with the Fidanza 16v pulley group buy a couple years ago. Not all 16V owners are on this forum.

This really makes me wonder what else I have missed out on since I am sorta new to this motor. I remember a while back when Todd had the group buy going for the adjustable cam sprockets and at the time I never thought I'd even see one of these motors let alone be building one.

• 2 months later...

The gasket manufacturer has contacted us 3 times over the last few months asking where we are at with this project. Unfortunately, we just don't have enough people interested to make this happen. If someone with access to TC club newsletters, other TC message boards, etc. is interested in spreading the word we may reach 40 serious enthusiasts. For now we are at 24 and holding.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

Guest cliffv

Chris-TU

Cliffv Here put me down for 4 and may be a few of us out here will get an extra one or two. hell we can reach the 44 you need to order. As we can always sell them to someone who needs it later. What is the cost per gasket and I'll get it in to the TC club new letter

cv

Since there is a mold involved any product made in limited quantities is going to be very costly. When the mold price is close to $10k dividing that by 100 potential sales = $100. each. Add the cost of manufacturing each silicon gasket, shipping, other ancillary costs along with a standard vendor profit margin and you can see how the price can add up quickly.

In order for us to move forward with this project we need to get commitments for about 40 gaskets @ $150. each (or 2 for $250. as an incentive to get to that magic number sooner). We will stock the remaining 60 gaskets, but, the price might be higher.

Chris-TU

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...