Is there a Carburetor Doctor in the House?

idrjoe_sandiego

I'll settle for a carburetor nurse....Looking for a second opinion before I jump off the deep end.

Has anyone seen one of these Recast Detroit Lubricators Model 51 that are being sold on eBay? There are two versions: one for a Standard 8 and one for the Super 8.

Here is the Std 8>> PACKARD - 29, 30, 31, 32 - STD 8 - MODEL 51 CARB - NEW - eBay (item 250718868486 end time Dec-28-10 12:51:19 PST)

One thing that bothers me (besides the $$) is I recall seeing a carb restorer website listing a different rebuild kit # for each of the different year models (Std 8) from 1929-32. The ebay seller apparently sells the same carb for all years.

Any comments or opinions? Thanks, Joe

There are different models for each year (but same rebuilding kit). The carb pictured appears to be a 1929. Very few know the differences from year to year. Price is DIRT CHEAP!

Incidentally, I recognize the sellers username, and have had many conversations with him over the years. While I have not seen this reproduction in person, I am very impressed with the seller's approach to reproduction. I am very surprised at the low, low price.

Jon.

Jon- Thanks for your input, I always enjoy reading your comments and drinking from your fountain of knowledge. Two more questions for you: 1) If this is, in fact, a 1929 version, how well do you think it might work on a on a 1932 Packard and 2) what is it about the carb that indicates 1929- are we talking linkage issues or ?? Thx, Joe

The '32 version would be shaped to fit the '32 air cleaner. The '29-'31 version used just a flame arrestor. Price is incredibly low considering the same carbs were reproduced in the 1970's and the price then was $1850 or so as I recall. I have sold unrestored ratty looking Detroit Lubricators for almost 50% of the asking price of these. If they perform as well as they look they are a bargain.

First, Detroit made running changes, there are several DIFFERENT versions EACH YEAR. Take a look at our website; I THINK we have identified them all:

THE CARBURETOR SHOP / Packard applications and kits

The two really key points which identify this unit as a 1929 are the gear driven accelerator pump and the lack of the bowl vent.

David - if you read these threads, consider adding the bowl vent to your units. Detroit and Packard retrofitted the vent on the 1929's after it became standard in 1930. The newer castings had a "bump" on the side for more "meat" where the vacuum hole was drilled. The 1929 castings were smooth.

As to whether the 1929 would work on a 1932? It should, but I would want to add the bowl vent. Of course, the air cleaner is not going to fit the front of the intake without some adaptation.

Jon.

There are different models for each year (but same rebuilding kit).

Jon.

Jon, your Packard Carb Rebuilding site is the one I was referring to in my first post. Maybe I am misreading your website information, but it appears that different year models (1929-32 STD 8) use different kits. There are three columns of numbers at the end of each row-- are these the kit numbers or?? Sorry for the confusion.

My original DL 51 has the vent; has anyone seen any service letter re: adding the vent?

Restorer-any chance you have a picture of your air cleaner? I am not sure if I have the original.

Thanksamillion guys--I probably will be ordering one of these recast carbs as you never can tell about that old pot metal. One minute it's ok, the next, it crumbles. Joe

Joe - you are correct, however;

When we first assigned kit numbers, we intended to include the bowl cover in the kit, and there are several different. When we went to our dataplate supplier, we were surprised to learn that, due to the design, these required male/female steel dies, at a large expense (if done in the USA). We absolutely refuse to reproduce anything outside of the USA, so the dataplates were dropped from the kit bill-of-material. Thus all Standard 8 Detroit carbs take the same kit (if different numbered) and the Super 8 Detroit carbs take a kit that fits all the Super 8 carbs.

Other parts not in the kit (ie jets, diffusers, pump housings, etc.) differ not only from year to year, but sometimes in the same year.

Jon.

I do not actually have a '32 Standard air cleaner here now. The ones I have are for the 900 and while similar differ a bit I believe.

Jon, your Packard Carb Rebuilding site is the one I was referring to in my first post. Maybe I am misreading your website information, but it appears that different year models (1929-32 STD 8) use different kits. There are three columns of numbers at the end of each row-- are these the kit numbers or?? Sorry for the confusion.

My original DL 51 has the vent; has anyone seen any service letter re: adding the vent?

Restorer-any chance you have a picture of your air cleaner? I am not sure if I have the original.

Thanksamillion guys--I probably will be ordering one of these recast carbs as you never can tell about that old pot metal. One minute it's ok, the next, it crumbles. Joe

Guys, Thank you for all the great information. I'm considering buying one as well as opposed to having my original rebuilt. If anyone buys one I would be curious how it works for you and if it performs as well as it looks.

Thanks again!

Positive comment per David Frear as a gentleman, as well as the quality of his work !

When I first had carb problems with the Detroit Lubricator on my 1930 Standard Eight, the aluminum float (furnished at a prior time to a prior owner by another vendor) was allowing fuel to leak into the float, and it would sink, causing flooding.

David made a new float, as well as a new needle and seat for my original Type-51, which I installed - it still works beautifully! I bought a junk Type-51 on Ebay (didn't know it was junk until it was delivered).

Jeff, the Old Carburator Doctor, in Nebo, NC rebuilt and restored it for me, and did a beautiful job. I'm pretty sure we used David's parts in doing this one too.

Two gentlemen whom I found to be thorough and reliable.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Packardcarbs

Good evening, to ressurect an old post you are invited to visit our current website, packardcarbs.com , for updated information, Best regards, David.

• 1 month later...
Guest miketayl

Hi, All. Yes, David did have huge delays & trouble getting it all together. Two of us in New Zealand got almost as frustrated as I'm sure he did when it took forever to get our order.

We did get them. I think our two 1930 supers were actually the first he delivered. Haven't started the car yet, tho! Not yet ready.

I also sent him an old one to check it's needs.

Well, He did come up trumps! In view of all my frustrations & delays he sent me a whole new carb at no cost, as in the intervening period my carb was not easy to fin. It arrived in ten days from may last contact with him (I hadn't been in touch for most of a year 0- also because my car is not quite ready to fire up).

Looks like David has got it all under control, including variations for each model year. The quality is impressive. As is the immediate recent service.

Well Done, David, i wish you all successs. Michael Taylor