Do you have any information on the Delahaye in this photo?

db34

Body by Figoni et Falaschi. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the photo was taken in Holland. The car looks like the 1937 model that Jacque & Betty Harguindeguy bought, restored, then won Best of Show at Pebble Beach. It sure looks better in the single dark color, in my opinion.

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/tools/local/imageupload/content/MainImage/size2/1c75a1907418b79931168f575f6d33ea.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Malcom Pray in Connecticut has an identical car. There are only two known to exist. Malcom's is #7 and Jacques's is #6. The #1 car was purchased by Prince Ali Khan in 1936 at the Paris Auto Show for $27,000! He had the car re painted black before delivery. That car no longer exists, but there are a lot of photos remaining.

Guest Silverghost

West sure knows all these Classic Autos~

He and the CCCA boys have tracked them all for decades !

The wonderful flowing body on that Delahaye is one of the finest examples ever of the French designer's & coachbuilder's art .

Some of these car designs had real steering issues with tight turning because of the enclosed front pontoon fenders~~

Changing a flat must have been a real trick too?

But who really cared ?~~

The designs were fantastic !

Don Williams had a similar auto at his Blackhawk Collection museum some years ago.

Elton John, of all people, owned a very similar Delahaye but sold it some years back~

He owned several similar way-out European designs~ All of them were stunning autos~

I bet most of you never thought of Elton as a Classic car guy ! ?

Peter Mullin has many similar designs in his super French auto museum collection; now housed at the old Otis Chandler museum building in Oxnard Calif ;and at Peter's home !

He also collects Bugatti autos, among others, and bought the now Famous Under Lake Bugatti that was discovered , and fished-out of that Swiss lake a few years ago !

Peter is a Great fellow also !

Check-out the Peter Mullin Museum Foundation website !

www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

West sure knows all these Classic Autos~

He and the CCCA boys have tracked them all for decades !

My grandfather was in Portugal in 1965 with one of my older brothers. They visited a car dealership there, and while snooping around behind closed curtains my brother spotted a 1939 Delahaye 135MS (MS, for those who don't know, is the triple-carbureted high-performance model with the same engine they used for racing). Long story short, my grandfather bought the car on the spot. I think he paid $1,200 for it. Shipping probably tacked on another $700 or so.

My father bought it from my grandfather, and it looked nice parked next to his 1934 Bugatti T-57 Stelvio cabriolet (bought in Paris in 1956 for $300). Both those cars were sold around 1974, replaced with the 1930 Packard boattail speedster that he still owns today (Brad, you may remember the Packard, as it was owned by George Jepson).

post-33613-14313836532_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143138365328_thumb.jpg

post-33613-14313836533_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest JR Cars

Ansancle, the V12 car (Type 165) is the all-red Mullin car. It did not win Best of Show at Pebble, but did win its class (we took second) that year. The red/white Harguindeguy 135MS car did win Best of Show a few years earlier.

Ansancle, the V12 car (Type 165) is the all-red Mullin car. It did not win Best of Show at Pebble, but did win its class (we took second) that year. The red/white Harguindeguy 135MS car did win Best of Show a few years earlier.

I recall the car was shipped to the NY show without the engine and then the two were reunited many years later?