Ok what is i called

mastertech

Yesterday at work i ws working on a jeep grand cherokee for the keyless entry fobs not working, now to progran the fobs you need to do it thry the passenger door switch,that one is the masterswitch all things work thru this switch, any way it ends up that the swtch is bad it wouldnt program the reciever was bad so i get the price of a new one 309.00. tell the service advisor, he also said that it was hight priced that the guy just put a motor in it....since the power window also didnt work i asked what motor he then said the one under the hood why he asked i said then that is not a motor that is an engine the one in the door is a motor. I was always told that an engine runs on gas a motor is electric so what is it? a motor under your hood or an engine that is the question going around at work. what is you opion? Also id gearoil in pounds or quarts? i was taught by some old mech. that it was measured in lbs.

Guest bofusmosby

Both are correct.

mo·tor<SCRIPT>play_w2("M0442400")</SCRIPT><OBJECT style="MARGIN: 1px" codeBase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000 width=13 height=21>

<embed src="http://img.tfd.com/m/sound.swf" FlashVars="sound_src=http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/M0442400.mp3" menu="false" width="13" height="21" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></OBJECT> (momacr.gifprime.giftschwa.gifr) </P>n. 1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.

2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

3. A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: "It was a night of lovers. All along the highway ... motors were parked and dim figures were clasped in revery" (Sinclair Lewis).

I was taught , motors ran on electricity, engines ran on gasoline or diesel. I believe gear lube was sold by the pound. If I remember correctly, the old pumps to fill transmissions and rear ends have about three revolutions of the crank stop to stop. I think they were supposed to pump a quarter pound of gear lube in those three revolutions.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL:)

It is interesting that a conventional car can have either and engine or a motor, but a an airplane can only have the former and a boat can only have the latter, when in every case the words are used to refer exactly the same device (often coming off assembly lines side-by-side). It's almost an historical crap shoot as to which is considered proper, and by whom.

This link is to a very good (one page) discussion by a linguist on the historical origin of these words, which prior to automobiles were not synonyms at all: World Wide Words: Engine and Motor. The change in use uniting the once very different terms "motor" and "engine" which occurred 110 years ago was then driven by new technology (cars). New technology today may be driving them apart again.

Now with hybrid cars you have both an electric motor and a gas engine. It is simply VERY confusing to use either term to refer to the other device. If an Insight or Prius's motor is broken, but it's engine still works, it can get around fine. If the reverse is true the driver better be looking for an off-ramp real quick! It may be that, in a short time, the use of the term "motor" to refer to an internal combustion device will no longer be considered proper. For now, as long as you're not talking about a hybrid car, they remain synonyms.