Moved to Class 04B

Bill Clark

I didnt take my beetle this year because I didnt like where they were parking us in 04B last year.
This quote was in reference to 2011 Hershey.

I had a Met at Hershey again this year, but did not register it for the show. I missed seeing the show due to a family emergency, (all's OK), but I noticed in the program that the Class 04 cars were once again parked in with the daily drivers. As I stated in my first post, I don't mind the idea of class 04, but after spending the time I did making two Grand National Seniors I don't feel appreciated, being told to park my Mets in the rough.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Siegfried
This quote was in reference to 2011 Hershey.

I had a Met at Hershey again this year, but did not register it for the show. I missed seeing the show due to a family emergency, (all's OK), but I noticed in the program that the Class 04 cars were once again parked in with the daily drivers. As I stated in my first post, I don't mind the idea of class 04, but after spending the time I did making two Grand National Seniors I don't feel appreciated, being told to park my Mets in the rough.

Bill

Bill, You'll have to take this up with Hershey Region. They set up the show field, and from what I know as a former Hershey Region member (and have been told by national officers) AACA National has nothing to do with the show field set up however; national 'COULD', and 'SHOULD' ask Hershey Region to place the 4's classes where they belong which in my opinion is after the 3's and before the 5's, and if that is not possible then they should at least place these classes up on the show field with other vehicles that are in the judging arena.

Once again my opinion as follows: 'I feel it is disrespect of the owners, and their vehicles to shove the small car classes out in the boonies at Hershey'.

• 2 months later...
I am very disappointed too. I would just like to know why this newer 04 Class was ever started in the first place. I saw nothing wrong with all these cars being in the Production Class with other cars of the same years. It just opens a can of worms.

I am also disappointed , just stop picking and choosing and set standard rules for classes and follow them. I prefer to see cars of the same era together. It also builds knowledge between brands (who you are parked next to). This topic waffles all around based upon personal preference instead of simple rules to follow. Why bother going to Hershey if it is just a Mopar show or VW show. But if you set it up that way all mfg should be separate and park them alphabetically. Good luck in the brass era , everyone would have their own class. The AACA needs general rules and not make and mark specific rules, seems very biased from lots of angles when done this way.

I can't help but wonder if someone with some influence didn't like the "lowly" VWs parked next to their "fine and much more expensive" automobile and pushed to have a new class created so that they wouldn't have to "socialize" with the VW crowd? I say this half sarcastically but then again there is a part of me that really would not be surprised by the actions of some folks. I have been in the car hobby a long time and in life a long time and nothing people do surprises me any more.

If I were a VW owner showing at the AACA National, I would certainly feel "less appreciated" by this move.

Bob

I can't help but wonder if someone with some influence didn't like the "lowly" VWs parked next to their "fine and much more expensive" automobile and pushed to have a new class created so that they wouldn't have to "socialize" with the VW crowd? I say this half sarcastically but then again there is a part of me that really would not be surprised by the actions of some folks. I have been in the car hobby a long time and in life a long time and nothing people do surprises me any more.

If I were a VW owner showing at the AACA National, I would certainly feel "less appreciated" by this move.

Bob

I believe I might feel more appreciated. A class exclusively for my make car!

Dave A,

Have you looked at the showfield layout? The small car classes are a little off to the side due to the way the showfield property is shaped. I don't have a dog in this fight at all but I would suggest you give it a try instead of making a decision based on what you have read from some people who are unhappy about the creation of separate small car classes.

Hershey is a victim of its own success. They have to make use of the entire showfield due to the number of cars there. If you look at last year's map of the showfield, it looks like the showfield is laid out in a fairly logical manner. If the number of cars in different classes change a bit over the years, the small car class will likely get moved to a slightly different spot, which will probably be considered a more "prime" location.

I used to show a Model A Ford. Model A Fords are classed separately from production cars in a similar manner as the small car classes. I no longer have a Model A, but every year, I stop by the Model A Classes and visit with old friends. Being in a different class is not really the end of the world. I now am personally focused on HPOF cars. If any group has a right to complain about the showfield layout it is the HPOF guys. They are all the way at the back of the showfield. Many people don't even bother to walk all the way to the back of the showfield and as such have never seen the HPOF cars. I don't normally take a car to Hershey since I now drive a SUV filled with stuff for my vendor space. After a week at Hershey, and being ready to make the 8 hour drive home as soon as I am finished judging, I might not even take the time to walk all the way back to see the HPOF cars.

Guest Stonefish
I'm thinking I might be more comfortable showing in an all VW class than in a production class which also contains, say, a '59 Cadillac Convertible. How likely is it to get a judge who knows both Cadillacs and VWs?

How likely will it be to find judges that know everything about all types of VW's? I know several VW owners that are judges and I'm sure they'll agree; there is a big difference between a 87 Jetta and a 55 Bug, and for someone to know all the ins and outs of all the VW models is hard to believe. Let's dump, let's say...all the Fords into one class....would you expect a judge to know them all??

So those folks that are AACA/VW folks and judge...are they going to be judging their own class??

From what my friends tell me...when they request to judge a certain class, that they feel comfortable judging, they rarely get them. True??

it is what it is now...

• 8 months later...