Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Moved to Class 04B

Harrisburg, Pa. 6 miles NE of Hershey as the crow flies. Longer by road.

Re: Moved to Class 04B

Intersetting comment about driving a VW on the highway. The only time I evr got, or get nervous is when pulling out with my 40hp Karmann Ghia, and my '67 microbus. Most 'NEWer' drivers do not know that we move slower on take off then they do.
    My microbus has a license plate frame that states '0 to 60 in a day or so'. Sort of makes the point that this is not a rocket.
    Think about this. Most mirocars are 2 seaters. All VW's seat at least 4 just like a BIG domestic car! Of course the rear seat may be a bit cramped for normal sized adults.
    I still support the possible move back to production classes for VW's.
    Jim Siegfried
    Nbr: 802500

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Moskowitz View Post
    There will be a second and more comprehensive survey out soon. The results of the last survey were overwhelming in one direction but the committee wants to be 100% sure it understands the wishes of the majority of the VW owners and accepts that the last survey was flawed in design which could have led to that result. A high percentage of VW owners responded and we greatly appreciate it.
    Steve, Now that the Annual Meeting and the National Winter Meet at Lakeland, FL are over and done with for 2013, any thoughts on when the second survey may be completed and mailed out to VW Owners? Given that the 2013 AACA event season is fast approaching, I would think that now might be an opportune time to get this second survey out and returned before AACA National and the VW Owners start getting busy with the many AACA events that are scheduled.
    Charlie

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

Going out next week...just approved today.
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

[QUOTE=Siegfried;1139032] The only time I evr got, or get nervous is when pulling out with my 40hp Karmann Ghia, and my '67 microbus. Most 'NEWer' drivers do not know that we move slower on take off then they do.
    My microbus has a license plate frame that states '0 to 60 in a day or so'. Sort of makes the point that this is not a rocket.

I learned most of what I know about "merging" into traffic driving that squareback on local highways. Sitting still on the ramp waiting for a hole in traffic like you see so often today was NOT an option.
    51 Crosley Hotshot
    51 Crosley Supersports
    50 Crosley Farm O Road
    41 Crosley Convertable coupe
    48 Crosley Panel Delivery
    48 Crosley Convertable
    52 Crosley Wagon
    49 Crosley Wagon
    47 Crosley Pickup
    ?? 3/4 Midget Crosley Powered
    48 Crosley Wagon
    52 Crosley Farm O Road
    50 Crosley Super Hotshot

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Moskowitz View Post
    Going out next week...just approved today.
    Thank You Very Much for the Update!
    Charlie

Totally off topic but this thread brought back wonderful memories of 5 American college kids driving a rented 1968 Bug from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea and getting lost in the desert in the middle of the night. Would have made a great commercial for the air cooled engine. 5 passengers in a VW Bug hightailing it out of the Dead Sea area at 10 in the morning as temps aproached 110 degrees. Those were the days my friends.
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

As seen from the results of the SE Spring Meet in Charlotte, NC April 6th 2013:

Class 27M
    Second Junior
    1979 Volkswagen........................................ .................................................. Roger Tetrault, Charlotte, NC

Have things changed?? Please say yes....

Ron Mann
    Historian and Archivist for The Pennsylvania Hill Climb Association (read about it in Oct. 2011 issue of Hemmings)
    1965 SCCA/PHA prepared Notchback, 1966 Kombi, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Kombi, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo", 1973 Thing, 1976 Puch Newport, 1977 Puch Maxi, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

Ron, unofficial but both surveys was overwhelmingly in favor of going to Class 4C. However, the move needs to be approved by the national board at the next board meeting. In the meantime, I believe people have been put in the original production classes (including yours for Carlisle) until a final decsion has been made. The committee went the extra mile but VW owners spoke loudly in this case. Sorry! PS, we have saved all the surveys and documents in case anyone wishes to question the results!
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

Well…it does not come much of a surprise to me. What did we learn?
    1. That VW owners did NOT want to be in a class with "small cars".
    2. The idea of having a specific class for VW was appealing…but who wouldn't want a more specific class for their make of car?
    3. The majority of folks that wanted to go back to production are those folks that probably show at Hershey…where location to the septic plant plays a role (and now will probably be worse since a third "sub" class has been added to 04 (A, B & now C).
    4. AACA likes to add more work load to themselves…and may have potentially opened a can of worms for themselves as other marque may request their own classes?? (judges, awards, field space for a new class, etc…etc)

Again, I appreciate the work that went into this. I can't say I'm uber excited about the class as it still seems pointless to me. But…whatever…

I just hope…now that there is going to be a class, 04C VOLKSWAGEN…that it truly covers and takes in ALL Volkswagens! Do not take the Type 2's out…don't let the Ghias show in sports cars…etc, etc. If the VW owners voted for the class…put'em all together!

That is all…see everyone in Carlisle, with my proudly built (but not headquarted) in PA VW Rabbit!
    Ron Mann
    Historian and Archivist for The Pennsylvania Hill Climb Association (read about it in Oct. 2011 issue of Hemmings)
    1965 SCCA/PHA prepared Notchback, 1966 Kombi, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Kombi, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo", 1973 Thing, 1976 Puch Newport, 1977 Puch Maxi, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf

Images

Thanks to all at the AACA who put much time into this. I would have preferred to have been back in production class but will make the best of it. >>
    I guess we will see where I am in a couple weeks at Auburn, looks like back to 27B, '56 beetle, if anyone else is going stop and say hi.

greg

Images

Boy am I disappointed.
    Stock Steve
    Antique VW Driver/Antique Auto Enthusiast
    AACA Member No. 596580J
    Late-model Buick driver too! BCA Member No. 47004
    -----
    Shoreline Antique Auto Connection -
    http://home.comcast.net/~shorelinesteve/SAACMainPage.html
    -----
    Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
    -----
    "Vintage Details" - Old School metal tire valve stem caps for sale:
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1416217
    -----
    Thanks Veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by stock_steve View Post
    Boy am I disappointed.
    I am very disappointed too. I would just like to know why this newer 04 Class was ever started in the first place. I saw nothing wrong with all these cars being in the Production Class with other cars of the same years. It just opens a can of worms.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I too am disappointed. I see no reason to pull VWs out of a regular production class and into a special microcar class. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Bob
    1929 Ford Model A Sport Coupe - AACA Senior
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza - AACA Senior
    1966 Chevrolet Corvair Monza
    1981 Corvette
    1982 Jaguar XJ6
    1987 Jaguar XJ6
    1971 Kawasaki 90 G3SS
    1977 Honda CB750F Super Sport
    1978 Honda CB750F Super Sport
    1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
    1985 Honda Sabre V65

Hey You All. Mustangs, Corvettes, and muscle cars have their own classes so why not Volkswagens? Think it over. As for me it really does not matter any longer. I'm just about done so I guess my opinion really does not matter to most of you. Hang 'Um High. I'm outta here...........
    Jim Siegfried

Images

Oh well,I guess it is what it is...air,water,beetle,bus,ghia,rabbit,cabriolet and so on are the same I guess,as long as it has a VW placed on it I guess that means there's no difference from any make to another...just sayin' ( o \ ! / o )
    The love we all share for old cars,may they be popular or may they be the morphidite of the hobby..no matter what they are and who we are,we all share the same interest..we love old cars and the wonderful hobby that needs to be carried on for future generations to enjoy.. ( o \ ! / o )
    Rob Coach
    1965 vw Beetle
    1967 vw Beetle
    1973 vw Thing
    1982 Porsche 911 SC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuhner View Post
    I didnt take my beetle this year because I didnt like where they were parking us in 04B last year.
    This quote was in reference to 2011 Hershey.

I had a Met at Hershey again this year, but did not register it for the show. I missed seeing the show due to a family emergency, (all's OK), but I noticed in the program that the Class 04 cars were once again parked in with the daily drivers. As I stated in my first post, I don't mind the idea of class 04, but after spending the time I did making two Grand National Seniors I don't feel appreciated, being told to park my Mets in the rough.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
    This quote was in reference to 2011 Hershey.

I had a Met at Hershey again this year, but did not register it for the show. I missed seeing the show due to a family emergency, (all's OK), but I noticed in the program that the Class 04 cars were once again parked in with the daily drivers. As I stated in my first post, I don't mind the idea of class 04, but after spending the time I did making two Grand National Seniors I don't feel appreciated, being told to park my Mets in the rough.
    Bill
    Bill, You'll have to take this up with Hershey Region. They set up the show field, and from what I know as a former Hershey Region member (and have been told by national officers) AACA National has nothing to do with the show field set up however; national 'COULD', and 'SHOULD' ask Hershey Region to place the 4's classes where they belong which in my opinion is after the 3's and before the 5's, and if that is not possible then they should at least place these classes up on the show field with other vehicles that are in the judging arena.
    Once again my opinion as follows: 'I feel it is disrespect of the owners, and their vehicles to shove the small car classes out in the boonies at Hershey'.
    Jim Siegfried

Quote Originally Posted by Rreisch View Post
    I am very disappointed too. I would just like to know why this newer 04 Class was ever started in the first place. I saw nothing wrong with all these cars being in the Production Class with other cars of the same years. It just opens a can of worms.
    I am also disappointed , just stop picking and choosing and set standard rules for classes and follow them. I prefer to see cars of the same era together. It also builds knowledge between brands (who you are parked next to). This topic waffles all around based upon personal preference instead of simple rules to follow. Why bother going to Hershey if it is just a Mopar show or VW show. But if you set it up that way all mfg should be separate and park them alphabetically. Good luck in the brass era , everyone would have their own class. The AACA needs general rules and not make and mark specific rules, seems very biased from lots of angles when done this way.

I can't help but wonder if someone with some influence didn't like the "lowly" VWs parked next to their "fine and much more expensive" automobile and pushed to have a new class created so that they wouldn't have to "socialize" with the VW crowd? I say this half sarcastically but then again there is a part of me that really would not be surprised by the actions of some folks. I have been in the car hobby a long time and in life a long time and nothing people do surprises me any more.

If I were a VW owner showing at the AACA National, I would certainly feel "less appreciated" by this move.

Bob
    1929 Ford Model A Sport Coupe - AACA Senior
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza - AACA Senior
    1966 Chevrolet Corvair Monza
    1981 Corvette
    1982 Jaguar XJ6
    1987 Jaguar XJ6
    1971 Kawasaki 90 G3SS
    1977 Honda CB750F Super Sport
    1978 Honda CB750F Super Sport
    1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
    1985 Honda Sabre V65

Having never shown at Hershey, I was considering showing there this year and had already written it in my plans. If, as it seems here, Hershey does not give the proper consideration to the little cars, i guess I'll change my plans!!
    51 Crosley Hotshot
    51 Crosley Supersports
    50 Crosley Farm O Road
    41 Crosley Convertable coupe
    48 Crosley Panel Delivery
    48 Crosley Convertable
    52 Crosley Wagon
    49 Crosley Wagon
    47 Crosley Pickup
    ?? 3/4 Midget Crosley Powered
    48 Crosley Wagon
    52 Crosley Farm O Road
    50 Crosley Super Hotshot

I'm thinking I might be more comfortable showing in an all VW class than in a production class which also contains, say, a '59 Cadillac Convertible. How likely is it to get a judge who knows both Cadillacs and VWs?
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hill View Post
    I can't help but wonder if someone with some influence didn't like the "lowly" VWs parked next to their "fine and much more expensive" automobile and pushed to have a new class created so that they wouldn't have to "socialize" with the VW crowd? I say this half sarcastically but then again there is a part of me that really would not be surprised by the actions of some folks. I have been in the car hobby a long time and in life a long time and nothing people do surprises me any more.

If I were a VW owner showing at the AACA National, I would certainly feel "less appreciated" by this move.

Bob
    I believe I might feel more appreciated. A class exclusively for my make car!
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor

Images

Dave A,

Have you looked at the showfield layout? The small car classes are a little off to the side due to the way the showfield property is shaped. I don't have a dog in this fight at all but I would suggest you give it a try instead of making a decision based on what you have read from some people who are unhappy about the creation of separate small car classes.

Hershey is a victim of its own success. They have to make use of the entire showfield due to the number of cars there. If you look at last year's map of the showfield, it looks like the showfield is laid out in a fairly logical manner. If the number of cars in different classes change a bit over the years, the small car class will likely get moved to a slightly different spot, which will probably be considered a more "prime" location.

I used to show a Model A Ford. Model A Fords are classed separately from production cars in a similar manner as the small car classes. I no longer have a Model A, but every year, I stop by the Model A Classes and visit with old friends. Being in a different class is not really the end of the world. I now am personally focused on HPOF cars. If any group has a right to complain about the showfield layout it is the HPOF guys. They are all the way at the back of the showfield. Many people don't even bother to walk all the way to the back of the showfield and as such have never seen the HPOF cars. I don't normally take a car to Hershey since I now drive a SUV filled with stuff for my vendor space. After a week at Hershey, and being ready to make the 8 hour drive home as soon as I am finished judging, I might not even take the time to walk all the way back to see the HPOF cars.
    Matthew C. Hinson
    1937 Buick Century, 1954 Buick Special - For Sale, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
    AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer32 View Post
    I'm thinking I might be more comfortable showing in an all VW class than in a production class which also contains, say, a '59 Cadillac Convertible. How likely is it to get a judge who knows both Cadillacs and VWs?

How likely will it be to find judges that know everything about all types of VW's? I know several VW owners that are judges and I'm sure they'll agree; there is a big difference between a 87 Jetta and a 55 Bug, and for someone to know all the ins and outs of all the VW models is hard to believe. Let's dump, let's say...all the Fords into one class....would you expect a judge to know them all??

So those folks that are AACA/VW folks and judge...are they going to be judging their own class??

From what my friends tell me...when they request to judge a certain class, that they feel comfortable judging, they rarely get them. True??

it is what it is now...
    Ron Mann

Images

Another great show! This was some of the best picture taking weather ever. A special thanks to whoever moved the class 4 cars back onto the show field.
    Bill

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information