Lots of neat old Hood Ornaments to try and Identify

STAYGOLD

Hello,

Trying to identify these hood ornaments. There are a few that I know what type of vehicle make they fit, but not sure on the exact model years and such...

Some are broken, and some are in excellent shape, but all look to be quite old. They are all quite solid and heavy.

The one shown in the 7th picture on the left, is actually a mirror, bottom says EA Laboratories.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

post-61534-143138355827_thumb.jpg

post-61534-14313835583_thumb.jpg

post-61534-143138355832_thumb.jpg

post-61534-143138355834_thumb.jpg

post-61534-143138355836_thumb.jpg

post-61534-143138355838_thumb.jpg

post-61534-14313835584_thumb.jpg

post-61534-143138355842_thumb.jpg

Guest Silverghost

Hi:

Your number #2 photo I believe is an original Pierce Arrow "Archer" unit.

The #5 left might be a flying lady type" ?

Is there anything written on it's lower outside base below her feet

Would like to see several good close-ups of that Flying lady !

Thanks~

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

The mirror #7 left is an aftermarket side-mount tire mirror I believe.

#6 is an aftermarket novelty clown police figure that was also very common in it's day.

Your #2 Pierce archer is the "bare-headed" variety, I think it is for the 1930 or later cars. The earlier models used the "helmeted" version. Yours is complete with the arrow and bowstring which sometimes are missing. If this is an original it is worth quite a bit to someone who needs one.

Your #2 Pierce archer is the "bare-headed" variety, I think it is for the 1930 or later cars. The earlier models used the "helmeted" version. Yours is complete with the arrow and bowstring which sometimes are missing. If this is an original it is worth quite a bit to someone who needs one.

Thanks for the info Don, but how do I tell if it is an original or not?

I don't believe #4 is Chevy of any year. Attached is what I believe to be 31-32 Chevy

That's what I get for being too quick to come to conclusions. It's probably an aftermarket look-alike.

I believe the "Pierce Arrow" archer and "Rolls Royce" Spirit of Ecstasy ornaments are also aftermarket look-alikes as well. Originals llok like these:

winged-female-hood-ornament-1930s-rolls-royce-phantom.jpeg

PierceArrow_Ornament_X4573.jpg

Guest Silverghost

The Pierce Arrow Archer appears it might be 100% authentic . It is the non-radiator later hood type.

The one Dave posted is indeed a much earlier style original mascot.

Add-in the fact that it is not broken; and has the arrow etc is still in place~

This really belongs back on some great Pierce Arrow car; not just collecting dust on a shelf~

This mascot could be quite valuable ideed!

The Owner stated in an email that the Flying Lady Spirit" DOES NOT have anything written on it's base below her feet, nor under her wings.

This makes this mascot an aftermarket unit and not the real deal !

The original Rolls~Royce "Sprit" moscots were often stolen because many thought they were made of real silver~The thief wanted to cash-in

In fact the Silver Ghost and early Phantom I mascots, both Springfield USA & Brittish were made of German Silver Alloy. The later Phantom I units were chrome plated bronze !

My book of ornaments tells me that the #1 cap is a 1927-1929 Studebaker "Atlanta".

#1 is a 1927 – 1928 Studebaker Atalanta. This cap was only used by Studebaker for 2 years. In 1929 Studebaker went with a “winged” cap.

Below left is the 1927-28 Studebaker Atalanta, right is the 1929-30 Studebaker winged cap.

post-30688-143138356455_thumb.jpg

post-30688-143138356457_thumb.jpg

The threads on the Pierce are too small - it is most likely a repro, but it should be marked on the rock, signed by the artist somewhere on the base AND have a Stant part number on the bottom. #1 is Studebaker, #3 is Dodge, #4 is Oakland, the rest are aftermarket although the moto-meters could have been offered at a dealer level.

The threads on the Pierce are too small - it is most likely a repro, but it should be marked on the rock, signed by the artist somewhere on the base AND have a Stant part number on the bottom. #1 is Studebaker, #3 is Dodge, #4 is Oakland, the rest are aftermarket although the moto-meters could have been offered at a dealer level.

I agree.

#6 is certainly an aftermarket comical piece, most likely from England or maybe France. They were popular-making fun of traffic cops. I've seen several varieties of them around. I've always enjoyed that kind of mascot - animal mascots too. Don't have a large collection, just a few that I've enjoyed over the years. Terry

Guest Good Old Days

Might nr. 1 be from a Studebaker? The Atalanta lady for the twenties era.

I'm not sure, but perhaps some one else can be more exact?:confused:

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
Guest tinkerjessey

hello, I am trying to figure out these hood ornaments...I am clueles when it comes to cars, and I was at a yard sale that had boxes and boxes of hood ornaments. I picked out a few and was able to find most of them on ebay...but not these....i appologize if these are "common" and I should have been able to identify them...

post-86221-143139066304_thumb.jpg

post-86221-143139066347_thumb.jpg

post-86221-143139066387_thumb.jpg

post-86221-143139066428_thumb.jpg

hello, I am trying to figure out these hood ornaments...I am clueles when it comes to cars, and I was at a yard sale that had boxes and boxes of hood ornaments. I picked out a few and was able to find most of them on ebay...but not these....i appologize if these are "common" and I should have been able to identify them...

The first three photos are trophy tops for car show trophies. The last looks to be 1970s or 1980s Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

Guest Foggy norm

Tinker....this ornament is from a trophy/award, usually mounted on top, the style of car suggest's 50'/60's. the crest appear's to be monte carlo.

#4 is Marmon

#2 should be 31-32 Pierce if white metal, not brass.

With so many copie's coming from south america, they seem to like brass/bronze with nickel or silver wash, but alway's lack detail.