Block/Head Cast Iron Filler Paint ?

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

I just finished rebuilding a giant modular six cylinder engine on one of my late 1920s Full Classics.

The engine and cast-iron filler style black paint was sadly removed when the machine shop hot-tanked the two cast-iron engine block units and long cast iron cylinder head.

I now need to refinish these cast-iron castings !

When new all the flaws and pores of the iron castings was originally filled with a very thick black engine paint.

These engines should look like porcelain with no flaws when finished.

If you have ever seen a Rolls~Royce Phantom , Duesenberg, Hispano-Suiza, Isotta-Fraschini, or similar high-end engine you know the exact look I am after~

Is there a paint, primer, or filler, product that I can now use to re-create this look in high-gloss black porcelain look.

I need a paint that will withstand engine temps.

Normal engine paint is way too thin and might only be used as a top coat !

I am also looking for a cear semi, or low gloss sealer to use on the lower cast-aluminum crankcase and oil pan etc.

Thank's

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
I just finished rebuilding a giant modular six cylinder engine on one of my late 1920s Full Classics.

The engine and cast-iron filler style black paint was sadly removed when the machine shop hot-tanked the two cast-iron engine block units and long cast iron cylinder head.

I now need to refinish these cast-iron castings !

When new all the flaws and pores of the iron castings was originally filled with a very thick black engine paint.

These engines should look like porcelain with no flaws when finished.

If you have ever seen a Rolls~Royce Phantom , Duesenberg, Hispano-Suiza, Isotta-Fraschini, or similar high-end engine you know the exact look I am after~

Is there a paint, primer, or filler, product that I can now use to re-create this look in high-gloss black porcelain look.

I need a paint that will withstand engine temps.

Normal engine paint is way too thin and might only be used as a top coat !

I am also looking for a cear semi, or low gloss sealer to use on the lower cast-aluminum crankcase and oil pan etc.

Thank's

Brad there are a number of high temp powder coating options that should do the trick. Rather than recommend any specific product, I suggest you do a google search and make your on comparisons and determination.

Jim