55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

I finally was able to get the body off of the rotisserie today so I could get it back to it’s owner. I have the body on stands so I can paint the firewall before it goes back on the finished chassis. The roof section has been all blocked out (Four Times) so it is ready for paint. Maybe my ankles will heal now that I don’t have to step over the frame of the rotisserie all the time. Ouch!

post-50945-143138348627_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14313834864_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up the BC/CC today and did a test on the old sedan door. It has a little too much orange peal as I was hoping not to sand and buff the firewall. I may go back to my old conventional gun and shoot it with that. I know I can get it smooth with that one. I hope to paint the firewall some time this week. Mudbone

post-50945-143138352155_thumb.jpg

Mike, as I started out using PPG products (Epoxy Primers) I thought at least to stick with the same brand. After having sticker shock at the auto parts store when I priced the paint I started looking for alternatives. I then was going to paint the firewall with acrylic enamel and hardener. The price was still outrageous. I stopped by my neighbor’s body shop and talked to him about the paint. He mixes his own PPG Global. He agreed to mix me up whatever amount I would need for the job at hand. He mixed up enough to do the firewall and trunk area and it came to about $200.00 and that included the clear coat. That way it will all be the same Brand and type of paint. So far so good. It still looks like it is wet. I know it's too shiny for a properly restored 55 Buick but I LIKE IT! Mudbone

Video=

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

I know what you mean about prices..........I paid almost $300.00 for a gallon of PPG 2021 clear with reducer & hardner for my last car I painted..... Out'ch!!!:eek:

When I painted the practice door I used Eastwood’s Concourse gun with the 1.2/1.4 Needle/Nozzle/Air Cap for the BC/CC @ 29 psi at the gun. I turned up the psi to 35 on the CC to help atomize it a little better. (My body shop friend told me that is what a lot of guys do on the clear coat) It came out ok with some orange peal. It would most likely be ok for flat panels and such as you would wet sand and buff the panels. But for the firewall I wanted it to lay down like enamal would so I used three different guns to get the job done. I used a hobby gun (Cheap air brush) for all the small tight areas, at about 10 psi. I then used a touch up gun for the sealer and color and first coat of clear. I then used my old vintage BLACK gun that was most likely from the 50’s to shoot the final clear coat. I have know idea what tip is in this gun but I believe it must be for finish coats as it does not do as good a job with primers. Both of the guns are conventional and I set the psi at about 45 at the gun. I just used what works for me and would not really recommend this process to anyone else. Mudbone

Mud..looking great!! Keep us updated with the pix..I love to look at new / refurb stuff as it is getting installed...Do you like the Eastwood gun? I was thinking of buying one, but wanted to get more feedback on it before the investment. Would like to know what your likes / dislikes etc are on it. Thanks..Jim

I don’t think the gun is the problem. I think it is me! I would not hesitate to use it on flat panels that you can cut and buff. I just wanted it to lay down real nice on the firewall so I used the conventional gun. If you would like to try mine before buying one let me know. I won’t need it for a while. Mud

Someday I will learn. (Or maybe not) My buddy called me while I was in the garage working on the car. I had just bent 12’ of new fuel line to the exact length and was getting ready to put the double flare on one end. As I was talking I flared the end and forgot to put the nut on! Good thing I have another 12’ so I can do it all over again tomorrow. Arrrg.

Someday I will learn. (Or maybe not) My buddy called me while I was in the garage working on the car. I had just bent 12’ of new fuel line to the exact length and was getting ready to put the double flare on one end. As I was talking I flared the end and forgot to put the nut on! Good thing I have another 12’ so I can do it all over again tomorrow. Arrrg.

I can feel your pain...

I used to work with PVC plumbing and you can have a whole manifold made and forget to put a fitting in right and bammm...the whole thing is ruined!

I would think that you could find a 1/4 " somewhere....only you will know that you "cheated" the line a little ;)

Mud..thanks for the offer on the gun..I may take you up on it when I get to that point if you are not using it. I vote with the others on the Island that you should be able to find that 1/4" somewhere on the tube..heck going from a 90 to 91 degree angle on a bend should do it on a 12' piece of tubing...only your hairdresser will know for sure :D

I ended up using the left over piece and re-bending it because the first one was my first try and it was not quite right anyway. The first piece is not wasted as I can use it for shorter pieces as there are only two large bends in it. The second one came out real nice and fits good. Mud

Yep, it is just like the two small dents in the lower firewall. I told myself I am not going to fix them, as you cannot see them when the engine is in. Needless to say hours before I was going to paint it I mixed up the glazing putty and fixed them. Mud

post-50945-143138369819_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My youngest son is coming over this afternoon to shoot an HD video of my current progress. He just spent $800.00 on a computer upgrade so he can edit the HD video. The quality is outstanding with this camera. It will be cool to make a complete restoration movie when the car is finished and a copy will stay with the car. I guess I don't want my boys to forget how much hard work is going into this car so they will appreciate it when I am gone. Mud

Mud, what a great idea! You are so fortunate to have your son work on that with you. If you ever make copies of the movie, count me in for one. I'll even send you the R/W DVD to record it on.

My original goal was to have a running chassis before the body goes on. Due to lack of space and a lot of final bodywork to be done, my new plan is to get the body on and fit all my panels and finish the bodywork. Of course I have been know to change my mind so who knows! Mud

Update on the inner fender seals I purchased a while back. Thanks to johnahboo who led me to 1955-1957 Chevy Rear Wheel Housing Seals I installed the left side this afternoon. It took about an hour but they fit like a glove. Yes it is possible to replace them but a real pain in the butt. I used a wide bill vise grip and tapped it with a hammer in several locations. (About a ½ inch at a time) I used baby power for a lubricant. NEXT, Mud

post-50945-143138393688_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138393698_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138393711_thumb.jpg

Mud, You might also try a mixture of dish soap and water. That what they use in the auto plants to install seals and rubber parts. Might be less messy than the baby powder. Just a suggestion.

Car is looking great!!! Keep us posted with updated photos..

Guest Rob McDonald

AHA! Another judging tip - sniff the rubber moldings. If they smell like a baby's bottom, deduct half a point!

Jim, I took your advice about using soap. But even better I found some N.O.S. G.M. inner wheel well seal lubricant on E-Bay. It was only $29.95 plus shipping! Now I won’t have to worry about the sniff test and loose those precious points! PS. It worked much better. Thanks, MUD

post-50945-143138398072_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138398085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)