55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

Heck, a car has two fenders.............a right one and the other one......... Or, is it a left one and the other one............shoot, I can't remembers anymore.

That’s the problem with long-term projects. It is easy to forget what parts needed repair. I guess it is time to take inventory! :confused:

I was able to get some primer on the patch areas of the driver’s side fender. I also temporarily mounted the inner fender and hung the driver’s fender to get it out of the way while I work on the “OTHER” fender also called the right side, or passenger side fender. (Ha!).... Mud

post-50945-143142361337_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142361347_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142361357_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142361368_thumb.jpg

I was able to get a few things done between running the snow blower and watching paint dry. I stretched the hood springs out and was able to get them blasted and painted. I read Bhigdog’s (basics to panel fitting several times) Do I fit the hood and fenders with the springs on the hood hinges or leave them off?

post-50945-143142374072_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142374084_thumb.jpg

If the hood fit and functioned well before you took it apart, install the hinges to the body in the original location (evidenced by marks made by the scalloped washers). Then install the springs to help with that heavy hood. Now if the hinges need adjusting, the springs will have to be removed...and the hood...and try again. My CVT needed days of adjusting since I had cobbled in a different cowl and floor section, but my 4dr just fell back together. You will find that what looks like the correct adjustment will have the opposite effect :(. It is nice to have a helper for the lifting, but choose one with a 'mute button'...too many different opinions will really screw things up :D.

Willie

Not too bad. Some of that is as good as it gets or as good as it came from the factory. Install the hood, a check that there is an acceptable and even gap at the cowl. If as evidenced by one of your pictures if it is not even side to side, bending the hinges or adding shims may be needed. Install fenders and with the inner fender assembly loose, install the upper grill bar and check gap and fit at the front of the hood. The fenders should be able to be tweaked for gap to the hood and doors ( which we assume are installed with good gaps at the bottom and rear quarter ). It is not shameful to do some sculpting with body filler...or some grinding of edges...

Willie

• 1 month later...

Home inspection season has started. I haven’t touched the Buick for three weeks! It’s hard to pass up the $ as it is needed to fund the project. Now I’ve come down with a nasty head cold. It looks like winter will never end hear in Illinois. However it looks like fishing is getting underway in Chicago……

post-50945-143142415173_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got back in the garage yesterday. I primed the trunk hinge springs and installed them. I had some trouble putting tension on the springs so I made a quick tool. I used my serpentine belt tool with an adapter I made from a piece of tubing and an old socket. It made the job easy. I can’t remember how I got them off. I probably pried them out and let them fly! Mud

post-50945-143142439559_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314243957_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142439581_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142439592_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142439602_thumb.jpg

Ingenious or just plain genius on those torsion bars. Good fit on the trunk. Hint: to maintain that good fit use trunk rubber from Metro...theirs is a little softer and smaller than Steele Rubber.

Willie

Thanks for the tip on the rubber. That fit was a first try. The bolts are not even tight yet. It looks better in the picture than it is. Here is a short video just for fun. (You have to take advantage of help when it is there) Mud

I have been working on the trunk lid fit all morning. I have some work to do on the front corners. I just realized I am missing the lower trunk lid stops. Mine were gone so I don’t even know what they look like. Who is the best source for these? Thanks, Mud

post-50945-143142446404_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142446406_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]240854[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]240855[/ATTACH]

Parts required and as mounted with vacuum tubing as bumper.

I can send these (loose ones) or scan one for you to duplicate.

Willie

Let me dig around and see if I have any from the cars I parted out. At least I know what to look for now. Thanks, Mud

That tight corner on the body...you will probably find a bunch of lead that can be ground out to fit. Also consider removing all the lead on the body and replacing with the green fibered bondo material, undercut and skim with finishing filler. The lead is still full of contaminants and you WILL have paint bubbling and lifting over the lead. (I hate lead!)

Willie

• 2 weeks later...
That tight corner on the body...you will probably find a bunch of lead that can be ground out to fit. Also consider removing all the lead on the body and replacing with the green fibered bondo material, undercut and skim with finishing filler. The lead is still full of contaminants and you WILL have paint bubbling and lifting over the lead. (I hate lead!)

Willie

After a week with the flue, I had to get out to the garage and do something. I ground off the primer looking for lead at the trunk corner and I only found a small amount. My trunk lid is pristine. No rust or any major dents. By buddy suggested to just grind off the lip of the trunk lid and weld the edge to make it fit. That may have been the easy way but I couldn’t get myself to grind on that trunk lid! So, I cut the body and put in a small filler piece. I just about have it where I want it but decided to quit before I was too tired and screw something up. Mud

post-50945-143142466292_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142466306_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142466317_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142466328_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314246634_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am still waiting for a storage unit to open up for the Model T. We had our first snow today and Mama’s not happy her car is sitting outside. Anyway I am finally getting some free time to get back to the Buick. I set the oil fill cap aside as it is ready to paint. I started on the turn signals and headlight buckets. At least until I get that storage unit, then I hope to get back on the body. Mud

post-50945-143142832685_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142832705_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142832716_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142832726_thumb.jpg

We had a new 55 Century, it was a good high end speed car. Did lots of top speed racin on Route 66. Mom never knew, hehe.

Bloomington, Il was a race car base for a few ARCA DRIVERS. One night one of the crew members was bragging about how fast his personal car was, well Les Tiger Snow a driver said, HEY my parts truck will out run your car. It was a 90 MPH Car at best. Tiger pulled me to the side and said take your Moms Century and follow me, and if I wave, PUSH me past his car. On Route 66 at about 85 he waved and I gave him a push, YES I KNOW IT WAS STUPID, but at 18 I FEARED little.

Needless to say the crew member was upset. Speed limit signs on 66 read, REASONABLE and PROPER

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)