2011 Southeastern Divisional Tour May 1-4, 2011

MCHinson

For those who are interested in participating in the May 1-4, 2011 Southeastern Divisional Tour hosted by the Cape Fear Chapter of the NC Region in the Wilmington NC area, here is the link for information:

AACA SE Divisional Tour 2011

This link is a direct link to the Host Hotel for making reservations for the Tour:

AACA Southeastern Divisional Tour 2011

The tour planning is coming along well and it should be a great tour. Hope to see many of you on the Tour!

• 3 months later...

I have not posted much here lately about our tour, but If you want to attend, I hope you sent in your request for this tour. We plan for 125 cars and at last count, I think we had 189 or so information requests submitted for this tour.

If you have your registration form sitting there, you might want to go ahead and send it in soon to make sure you make the cut. Today was the first day for mailing the applications in. I understand that the host hotel is already fully booked for the tour. Our website has (or will have within the next few hours) information about other close by alternate hotels.

As of today, I understand the registration chairperson has received 107 completed applications. (the tour is supposed to be limited to 125 cars).... If you have your application and want to participate in the tour... you better mail it soon!

Check out this link if you need updated tour hotel information or other updated information about this tour:

Update...

As of today, I understand the registration chairperson has received 115 completed applications. (the tour is supposed to be limited to 125 cars).... If you have your application and want to participate in the tour... you better mail it soon!

Check out this link if you need updated tour hotel information or other updated information about this tour:

We sent our registration in March first and hope to be among the 125 old cars exploring you part of the old car hobby world. We look forward to learning the interesting places and history of the Wilmington/Cape Fear area as well as meeting the AACA members of your region. We're veterans of many tours and

always enjoy seeing new places while enjoying our antique cars with people of similar interest. Plus it's the neatest show when they all run and are driven to see the sights becoming a different Car Show at each stop.

We're awaiting confirmation of acceptance and hope there is a RV Campground nearby.

post-32318-143138476454_thumb.jpg

Paul,

After judging at Homestead, I took the family on a side trip to Disney World for 4 days. I just got back in town tonight. They are sending a written confirmation by return mail as soon as a registration is received, so there is a good chance yours is in the return mail. The donfirmation should include information on the local KOA campground. I think it is about 4 miles from the host hotel. We also are allowing RV's to park without any hookups in the trailer parking area adjacent to the host hotel. I will check with the registration folks tomorrow to confirm that yours has been received.

Paul,

Your registration was received. I am surprised that you have not yet received your confirmation. It was mailed out on Monday, along with information about the nearby local KOA Campground.

That is the only one in Wilmington. The next closest one would be about 15 or so miles away. I am attaching a link to a search for RV parks in New Hanover County. I am only familiar with the KOA and Winner's. I don;t know anything about Water Way. The rest are actually Mobile Home Parks (and even if you could, you don't want to stay at any of them...)

RV campground New Hanover County NC - Google Search

If you are trying to decide if you want to send in a registration, we still have 10 slots available before the tour is sold out. We have had 3 folks indicate that they are mailing their registraions in, so only about 7 more slots will probably be left in a couple of days.

"Only 7 slots left for this tour" It always amazes me that this giant club has so many antique car lovers and 99.8% of them just love to see them and win an old bowling trophy with an antique car on top. They miss the most fun of the hobby.

This is a tour is for ALL members vehicles up to 1986** and we're going to see history, eat well, have a great time, see new things, enjoy time with our families, learn about NC, meet some great new people, see some spectacular cars, drive our old cars, put our restorations to the test and help get the American economy going. All while getting away from the day to day life that will await our return with stories of our great adventure that most people only wish they had the moxie to do.

As usual this open tour will attract the newer cars in AACA members collections. Less risk, easier to drive and many will have A/C. Many will drive to the tour and participate without the benefit of a trailer as portable garage and a stash of extra parts. It's almost like real cars!. But, some guys newest cars are really old and they'll drive them too. Cars from the great Depression in the 30's, post WWII cars, 50's Rock & Roll cars, 60's, 70's muscle cars and early 80's "Disco" style cars . You may wish you brought an older car.

Question: Why not join us and enjoy the best part of this hobby? (I'll be driving the "Roadbug", a VW Bug with a 6 volt electrical system just as it was in 1966) Did you know that an antique car that is tour tested and proven reliable is more attractive to most buyers? Think of your own estate sale. Another thing to think about is, the next owner having all your fun touring in the car you restored. Join us!

** Down here in Florida where the AACA Founders Tours is scheduled soon, we have lots of 1986 or older cars in the Winn-Dixie (Grocery Store) parking lot. Seems people buy their last car at retirement and move to Florida. Now 25+ years later these low mileage beauties are still driving to and from the store and doctor's offices on a regular basis. Many if these cars are easy to restore and make great & fun tour cars.

Paul,

It is not my newest car, but I am registered with my 1929 Model A Ford Phaeton. It is a Senior Grand National Car, so I don't know if I am increasing its value by touring, but it is lots of fun to drive on tours. I guess I don't really care about the car's value, as I have no plans to sell it. My 13 year old daughter has already told her 22 year old brother that the Phaeton will be hers when I am dead and gone.

Hey guys, I'm not trying to increase your car values. However, if your car can complete a National AACA Tour or a AACA Regional Tour, it says a lot about the reliability of the vehicle.

Personally I'd rather have a operative vehicle. (Given the choice between two pretty cars with one having touring credits). Now, I intend to wear mine out an let the next owner have the fun I did in making it that good a car. If I'm lucky enough to need to re-restore these cars, that's fun too. My tombstone will say "I had fun seeing America" not "I won a trophy".

So far I've been to all 48 contiguous states, mostly in antique cars. I'd like to see more American back roads and seeing them in an antique cars makes it even better. I hope the last 7 slots in this tour are filled with people like you who enjoy their antique cars as operable vehicles. If they're pretty and Show Winners too, that's even better.

The tour is not sold out. The registration request period ended. With almost 200 requests received at AACA headquarters, we really did not want to collect any more money from anybody to send them information. The deadline for those who requested information to register is April 1st, so I am quite sure that the tour will be sold out soon. If your friends want to inquire, they can email the Tour Chairman at joaks@ec.rr.com or call him at 910-343-1330.

• 1 month later...

I am happy to say that the tour books are all printed and assembled. The registration packets are all assembled. A lot of work is behind us. I am sure there will be last minute details to attend to, but I am ready for the tour. I look forward to meeting those of you who are attending. See you soon!

Matt,

Sorry we cannot be there---but Louisiana Region will be well-represented .

How many Cars do you have registered???

Marty,

We have 122 car registered. There are about two or three that had to cancel due to illness and/or other family emergencies, so I am not sure of the exact number remaining.

Well, the tour has started. We registered this evening, met old acquaintances, and watched the tour mechanic do his magic.

1. The host hotel parking lot pictured first with lots of trailers.

2. Our first breakdown. This Mercury Turnpike Cruiser evidently had charging problems. A new regulator had her purring like a kitten.

3. The mechanic, Alan Broome of South Carolina, says,..."Ah shucks, it was nothing.":D

4. Our forum friend, Paul Dobbin and his wife, at the hospitality room.

Wayne

post-31395-143138529278_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138529281_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138529286_thumb.jpg

post-31395-14313852929_thumb.jpg

Day Two!

Long day....6:30 until 9:30 with all of the eating and enjoyment of the water front area around Wilmington, NC.

1. This beautiful Buick was seen this morning at the breakfast stop at Popular Grove Plantation's front yard.

2. We had our lunch stop at the Missiles and More Museum on Topsail Island. The parking lot was overrun with antique cars when all 122 of them ended up for lunch.

3. This beautiful Rambler showed up at the afternoon strawberry stop. I was so captivated that I forgot to get a frontal picture, but....

4. ..the engine was special, with its brass oiler and other details that a Chevy man knows little about.:)

5. These kids loved the chance to get into the backseat. They were smiling until the middle girl told me that the person on her left was her brother, not her sister. :eek: Whoops, sorry guys.

Wayne

PS, forgot the mention. The young lady on the left of the Rambler back seat picture also made fun of my purple camera. Seems old people are not supposed to be interested in color.:eek:

I just can't get any respect! :o

post-31395-143138530319_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138530325_thumb.jpg

post-31395-14313853033_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138530335_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138530339_thumb.jpg

Today was a great day. We had a coffee break on the Cape Fear river, then on to Fort Fisher, the NC Aquarium, and then we loaded up a local ferry for a ride across the river to Southport, NC. That's where my trouble started...

Pictures:

1. breakfast break

2. Loading the ferry.

3. Ferry operator..."Where all these antique cars come from????"

4. Southport, a town full of antique shops. I got bitten here folks. I could not get out of town before my wife found a washstand she just had to have. I should be driving a VW instead of a station wagon.:rolleyes:

More about Southport shortly.

5. How often do you see three 56 Chevy wagons on the same tour, following each other down the road together, no less.

6. Here are the 3 of us at another stop today. Really cool, but the shadows do not do the yellow 56 justice. It is much more colorful than this.

Now, more about Southport, NC:

30+ years ago, I was in this town picking up a load of processed fish meal. Standard Products called their meal processed. The town just called it stinky. It was unique fish meal plant, since they loaded my dump trailer right on a platform scale, something unheard of in my area back in early 1980. Things were going along well until a hurricane came through and wiped the plant out. This ended the Standard Products plant operations in Southport. They continued operations in Morehead, NC and their home in Reedville Va. Eventually, Standard Products was sold to Omega Proteins of Houston, TX. Omega is now the only fishery operation on the east coast (the biggest plant in Reedville, Va) and also in the Gulf. (Louisiana and Moss Point, MS) Some of the older locals remembered the fish factory, but now the property is occupied by condos and beachfront dwellings. They also call this progress. Ummm!!!!

That's my history lesson for today folks.

WAIT, a post script. My '56 Chevy died about 4 miles from my hotel this afternoon. No ignition! Since tomorrow is our last day here, I put her on the trailer. Needless to say, my arriving at the Buzzy Region Party late with my Chevy on the trailer made a lot of my Ford friends happy this evening.:rolleyes::)

Wayne

post-31395-143138531396_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138531403_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138531406_thumb.jpg

post-31395-14313853141_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138531414_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138531417_thumb.jpg

Let me add another comment here. We have some first timer AACA Tourers with us on this Tour. They are having a blast. Matt Hinson and friends are making a memorable tour for all of us this week.

You guys really need to try AACA touring. You do not know what you are missing.

Wayne

Guest Moepar

One of the first people I saw at the tour was some crazy guy with a Chevy wagon & a PURPLE camera in hand. Where do you get a PURPLE camera?!? :D

It just goes to prove they let just about anyone in to one of these shindigs. Guess they'd have too since I was there.

post-30917-143138536518_thumb.jpg

Guest Moepar

Here's a couple more photos-a ferry full of old iron & a car getting stuck in the sandy parking lot.

post-30917-14313853652_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138536523_thumb.jpg

Great photos Dawn. And, yes, you are as crazy as me. :cool:

Actually, color never matters to me. It could have been blue and white stripes and I would have bought it. It was a cheapy, like its owner!:eek:

Gloria and I enjoyed the tours everyone. On to Stowe!!!!

Wayne

Sometimes on these great tours, our best plans are foiled by antique parts with their own agenda. (See the picture) In this case to 55 year old Chevrolet decided it was nap time before the course instructions said to quit for the day.

It didn't spoil the tour for this driver and his lady, it just afforded a new adventure and another tale to tell. Now, I bet the driver has a story to share about what really happened.

I came in on the hook once on a Sentimental Tour and lived to drive the next day. All kinds of offers of aid and an evening of wrenching and the problem was solved. Antique car touring is still the most fun of the hobby for us, in spite of occasional problems. On many tours I've seen multiple old cars fixed in the parking lot during the day by helpful members of the tour and finish the day and the tour.

There are even a few embarrassing stories out there, but I'll let the tourists tell their own version.

post-32318-143138538291_thumb.jpg

Sometimes on these great tours, our best plans are foiled by antique parts with their own agenda. (See the picture) In this case to 55 year old Chevrolet decided it was nap time before the course instructions said to quit for the day.

It didn't spoil the tour for this driver and his lady, it just afforded a new adventure and another tale to tell. Now, I bet the driver has a story to share about what really happened....

Thanks for the lead-in Paul. The highs and lows of antique car touring! We had just gotten those 3 wagons together for the last stop of the day picture you have seen on page 1 of this thread. Wow! Was it cool to see all three of us following the directions back to the host hotel, with everyone almost stopping in their tracks along the way to see not one, but three same year Chevys. How often does that happen nowadays?

Anyway, at the last major intersection, we were all 3 waiting for that left turn light. Momentarily, my 235 six just cut right off.

I watched helplessly, as my two buddies up front drive off in the distance as I sat there parked in the street. So, I cranked on it! Nothing! I knew right way that there was probably an electrical problem, as there was no backfire, not even a pop.

I immediately called my buddy Matt Hinson so he could contact the hook guy. Another tour member came up behind me in a Pontiac Tempest. He helped me push it onto a side street as Gloria steered left, then right, then left. Not so fast woman!:confused::rolleyes:

My new friend and I checked the spark at the plug…..nothing. Well, nothing to do but ride the hook man into the hotel. It was at this point that I realized that I had a very nice winch on my new flat trailer. I also realized that my new tow vehicle did not have the extra battery or the operating cord that was needed to operate it. Darn, those pesky problems.

A very big Thank You to the Tow company contracted by the Cape Fear Region. This gentleman even winched the old Chevy back onto my tow trailer. Thank you, thank you, kind sir! He wouldn’t even take a tip.

Now, I could have gotten my clothes all dirty and fiddled with the wiring on the engine and maybe got it going, but there was a Buzzy Pizza party in the hotel parking lot very shortly soooo, to heck with the car. We’ll ride with someone else tomorrow. You can’t miss pizza, you know? That’s why you see my Chevy on the trailer behind my Suburban in Paul’s picture…..and that’s the truth, as I remember it anyway.

Oh, we replaced the plug wires, a new coil, and the lead in wires to the distributor on the Chevy. I have not road tested it yet, but it starts and runs fine now anyway.

Wayne

Guest Moepar
Great photos Dawn. And, yes, you are as crazy as me. :cool:

Actually, color never matters to me. It could have been blue and white stripes and I would have bought it. It was a cheapy, like its owner!:eek:

Gloria and I enjoyed the tours everyone. On to Stowe!!!!

Wayne

Glad to see you admit that we're crazy. At least we are in good company!. ;)

As for cheap, I make Jeff buy me my camera. I just buy the extra large memory cards ($25 is far cheaper than cost of the camera!!) Besides, I'm so cheap, the first digital I got, I waited til it was at 1/2 price at Staples to buy it. It lasted about 5 years, with me dropping it several times on concrete floors, treating it very rough, several tours & shows, and of course having to make quick gettaways (under threats of death) after taking a pictures of a certain club member that'll remain nameless. :eek:

Enjoyed hanging with you guys on the tour.

Edited by Moepar (see edit history)