1930 buick transmission

Guest jeff schreiner

Guest jeff schreiner

I have a 1930 buick marquette with a muncie 3 speed. When starting out in first the throwout bearing makes a heck of a noise. When i pulled the tranny I found that its not a bearing at all. It appears that it is lined with a material like a brake pad would have? Does anyone know if there is an actual bearing available or what to do to quiet it up. Also need speedo housing and gear that bolts to rear of tranny. Is there any where to get parts? thanks

jeff schreiner

fall creek wi.

1911 Buick model 27

1930 Buick marquette model 26

• 3 years later...
Guest 1929marquette

Hi Jeff,

I know this is an older thread, but did you ever fix this issue? I am having the same problem on my muncie 3 speed transmission of my 1929 Buick Marquette.

Regards,

Victor

I have a 1930 buick marquette with a muncie 3 speed. When starting out in first the throwout bearing makes a heck of a noise. When i pulled the tranny I found that its not a bearing at all. It appears that it is lined with a material like a brake pad would have? Does anyone know if there is an actual bearing available or what to do to quiet it up. Also need speedo housing and gear that bolts to rear of tranny. Is there any where to get parts? thanks

jeff schreiner

fall creek wi.

1911 Buick model 27

1930 Buick marquette model 26

• 4 years later...

I also have a 1930 Buick Marquette 30 series. The noise I am having is when I let off the gas when slowing down. There is a load whining noise. There is a crack in the tail piece of the transmission that I sealed, however I can not find the rear seal for the transmission. I am also in search for the speedometer cable. 

Thanks for any help you can give.

Larry Fowler

Knoxville, TN. 

I am posting my notes about finding a speedometer cable for my 1925 Buick Standard.  

Buick Speedometer Cable replacement options                 

1925 Buick Standard Speedometer inner cable original length is 48 1/8”.  The same cable as used in the 1925 to 1928 Chevrolet.  The “C-200” is a 48” replacement cable.   (Verify that the outer casing attachment at the transmission is the same.)  The inner cables are the same.

AC cable “CC-2” is 68”.   The ends match the original.  Putting in a longer speedo cable is usually not an issue. 

There is an Inner cable replacement kit.  It is AC kit number 618.  It comes with the big square end on the cable and 2 ends in the kit that you cut the cable and crimp on the end. These are sometimes available on Ebay, and sometimes they do not have all the tips in the box.

Kent Universal Cable U-30 should also fit.  Just another brand that match the AC cable CC-2.  It lists the same years and Buick models as the CC-2

Most universal cables call out to be 68” and for 1934-36 Buick series 40.

Searches on Ebay should be for

CC-2, AC 618, U-30, C-200

The universal cable U-31 is a longer cable than the U-30.  I would bet that the ends are the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Restorationstuff.com also sells some repair parts.  They sell a transmission end that fits the transmission but would require some modification to make it fit the original housing on that cable end.  It is FLX062.

www.fillingstation.com  “The Filling Station” sells Chevrolet parts and you can cross reference some of the Chevy sizes with Buick sizes.  They make the identical inner cable for my car that fits the same year Chevrolet.  Same part number.  They have created a wait log, and I bet they would make an inner cable to your specified length if you asked them.    

I also found this website and they look to have all the parts that you may need to create a new inner or outer cable.  

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/speedo.asp

Hugh

2136883241_BuickSpeedometercablelengths1.thumb.jpg.26283b0a7c9e7cf23dc2ac7c14f32d6f.jpg625350260_BuickSpeedometercablelengths2.thumb.jpg.4df1f4e0cfaeffebee419a3a80b83cdb.jpg957652920_1934-35BuickuniversalU-3067inchmaybe.thumb.jpg.d063261165cff5d1a8f6c3586cebdae1.jpg2031300367_Earlyspeedometerinnercablecrossreference.thumb.JPG.cc00eceda21c48ffc4826cebe77e0dc8.JPG1269281264_ACcables1935andupBuick.thumb.jpg.ffd6e5eb48a401cbf8aee74fe403157d.jpg

Texasindustrialelectric-dot-com.thumb.JPG.aab5a03f1fde5fc4299aff329695529e.JPG

285998487_Speedometercabledimensions.thumb.JPG.7d674f586dfa0b5a2232ef9283295ec7.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am in need of the ring gear & pinion for my 1930 Buick Marquette. There are missing teeth on both and the pinion bearing needs to be replaced. I have looked on every website that has Buick parts listed. So far no luck. Does anyone have any idea where to look.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

3 hours ago, Larry C Fowler said:

I am in need of the ring gear & pinion for my 1930 Buick Marquette.

Welcome to the forum Larry.

You will have more success if you start your own topic with an appropriate heading like perhaps "1930 Marquette Crown wheel & pinion". That bears little resemblance to a transmission so not many will see it.

Remember to keep your eye on eBay too.

BTW, the crown wheel and drive pinion in that car was used in 6 models. The other five are

1930 Buick 8-50 with Hotchkiss Drive (not the torque tube drive);

1929 Oakland AA-6;

1930 Oakland 8-101;

1929 Pontiac Big 6 (6-29); and

1930 Pontiac 6-30.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good luck in your search.  There are some around.  In the last thirty years I was able to find one used with a good C&P so I added all new bearings and now have myself a spare.

In 500,000 miles my car has gone through two rear ends.  I never knew for sure if the gears failed first or a bearing let go.  Both times the pinon tooth at the begining of the part number broke off so I think the gear might be the weak part.

Ask everywhere, you never know who might have one.

• 1 year later...

Larry,

You might also look for 1931 Buick 50 Series parts.  The drive train (except for the motor) were the same for the first six months of that year's production. 

I believe it changed mid-year when Buick started using the torque tube drive line.