High Speed Gears -- 3.0 to 1?

scott12180

There is currently a 1935 Packard 1200 Sedan on eBay with a late 1980's White Post restoration. The seller claims that the car has a 3.0 to 1 set of high speed gears. I asked if they were really THREE to one, and he insists that's what was put into it.

First of all, was a 3:1 ratio ever available in the 1980's?

Second, could a car of that size even handle only 3:1 ?? Seems awfully tall.

Thanks -- Scott

Guest Brand O

That is really high if it is still stock trans and horse power....and did they adapt late model gears into a Packard diff or is the rear end housing stock?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of long legs in old cars, most of which were geared like tractors for the luxury of high gear flexibility, and the road conditions of the '30s. You may recall the expression "going like 60."

There are aftermarket overdrives available like Gear Vendors in SoCal, so you could retain the original stump-pulling rear cog yet cruise without duress.

A 3.0:1 axle ratio in such a heavy car would be murder on the pressure plate.

I put a non-overdrive rear axle in my '47 Packard Super Clipper which came from the factory with overdrive for a taller overall ratio in overdrive. A friend who worked in postwar Hudson and Packard dealerships said this was occasionally done after the war for serious distance drivers on the steadily improving roads.

G'luck.

• 2 weeks later...

It is much more likely that it is a 3.58 set that was made by Phil Hill. The 734 speedster series used a 3.3 I think, which is the closest that I know of, but those are very rare. If you are in flat country, it will probably do it since that is a short wheelbase car. I have driven a 1401 with a 3.58 and it was fine. If you are in the hills, you probably would want at least a Super for that.