Early high wheeler

West Peterson

Trying to help with the i.d. of the car on the cover. The date of the photo is thought to be 1905, which would rule out Sears or International. Sometimes notes on photos can be wrong, though. However, in this case, the car is thought to be the very first car in Warsaw, Virginia, so 1905 may be correct.

Thanks.

post-33613-143138343138_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Most Holsman pictures don't have that box on the front - however a quick check of The Standard Catalog shows that in 1905 (and only in 1905) Holsman offered their Model 8 with 'Folding Front Seat' which might explain the box. From 1908 the wheelbase was increased from 65" to 75". This car looks to be the shorter so it is possible it is 1905.

• 3 years later...

I'm researching a Holsman, number 2110, that came from the Dr. Samuel L. Scher collection to the Richard C. Paine Jr., collection at the Seal Cove Auto Museum in the mid 1960's. The car was an AACA National Prize winner, but do not know when or if Dr. Scher was the owner when awarded. Did AQ ever do an article on Holman? Do any of you have the book "Holsman History 1901 -1910 by Franklin B. Tucker (1994)" that you would sell, or donate, to the Seal Cove? I want to date the car and establish provenance. We have it dated as 1902, which is incorrect, most likely 1907. Any leads or information would be appreciated.

post-69114-143142401557_thumb.jpg