What is This?

Guest turbo15479

Guest turbo15479

I have an electrical device that I cannot indentify. It has Gray & Davis on it and is called a dynamo. It is rated 6 volts and 10 amps. It was my grandfather's and passed on to my dad and now me. My dad thought it was from a Packard but my grandfather owned everything from a Model A to a Studebaker truck. I will attach a couple of photos. If anyone can help me please do so. Thanks Bruce

brucehrach@msn.com

post-71198-143138337618_thumb.jpg

post-71198-143138337644_thumb.jpg

Edited by turbo15479
typo (see edit history)

Guest turbo15479

If you do a google search on a gray & davis dynamo a newspaper article from 1912 comes up. It claims a dynamo and generator are the same thing. The only other markings on it are it is number 375 and it looks like a T or I series. It looks like new inside and turns freely. Here is a link to the article, The gasoline automobile - Google Books

Yes in the early days, generators were known as dynamos and starters were just called motors.

Gray and Davis Model T

Jones 1916-17 25,26

Metz 1915 25

Stearns-Knight 1915 Light 4

There may be additional applications as some lists that show Gray and Davis do not show the model.

Gray & Davis made aftermarket lighting systems for the Model T Ford, they also had a starter-generator set-up that mounted on the LH side of the engine and used a chain drive to a special front sprocket mounted on the front pulley of the crank. I sold two of this style units at Hershey about 20 years ago, but they looked a lot like that only with a sprocket.