'41 110 Shift Linkage Part

1935Packard

I have a '41 110. A few weeks ago, I was trying to unstick the Handi-shift out of neutral and into gear when my forcing it managed to break it: The long rod that connects the shift linkage from part next to the steering column to the part near the base of the transmission for 2nd and 3rd gear sheared right off. It's part #367641, I believe, and it's a slightly curved rod around 2 feet long that was special to the 110s from 1939 to 1942.

I'm having a little trouble locating a new part. Kanter and Max Merritt didn't have it, and JP McVicker (the roster keeper) suggested I call Bob Stolzfus. I have a call into him, but I haven't heard back yet. Any ideas? Right now I can drive in first and reverse, but I admit I'm pretty partial to second and third gear and I'd like to have them back.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

1935Packard, If Dave cannot help you I am aware of a '40 110 being parted in CT; I have not seen the car but he is not too far from me; I have spoken to the guy a couple times this summer at the shows, he restored a 110 sedan to the highest standard I have ever seen on a closed 6 cylinder Packard. I have his number home and would be glad to get it for you or reach out for you.

BTW - where have you been lately??

Dave,

I tried taking a picture, but it's hard: The part is mostly hidden by a plate that covers it that needs to be taken off to see it, and I don't have a lift to do that easily. So the picture doesn't amount to much.

Steve,

Thanks, I might take you up on that. Oh, and I've been around, although I missed Hershey due to work and my '12 has sat out the whole season in the shop. Looking forward to being back in the Packard game.

Will shoot you an email Steve.

Funny, I took the gent's number for a friend with a 40 110 he has had since we were in high school. Haven't seen him in a couple mos. so I haven't even passed the info to him yet!

On the running boards West or someone documented the process nicely on one of these sites, that is my second choice, but I have heard they generally come out pretty good so maybe not such a bad alternative.

• 4 months later...

i have both shift linkage rods that came off a 41 110 4 dr. sedan. i don't know which one you need but take both of them and you know you have the right one then. got the motor and trans. steering column, front end, rear end also. thanks, doc harper

What unfortunate timing: I ended up giving up after I couldn't find the part, and I took it earlier this week to a shop that welded it together and reinforced it. It was on the expenive side, as I had to pay more for labor than the part would be, but I wanted it to be fixed so I could take it to a local Packard Club event this weekend. Thanks anyway for posting -- glad to know it's not totally impossible to find.

Of course, now the linkage is hanging in second gear again, but at least I know have the ability to get into second gear even if I can't get out of it.