Body Number/VIN

jcmiller

I'm looking at a Chrysler Windsor that was advertised as a 1947. The paper title says that the VIN is 70691358. From looking at this forum, it appears that number is the body number and not the VIN and that it is probably a 1948 vehicle.

My questions to you:

1. Am I correct that is not the VIN?

2. Where can I find the VIN on the vehicle itself? Would it be on the tag on the firewall?

3. Does the number above tell us anything besides the order was built?

Thanks!

OK, I went ahead and bought the darn thing! I've decoded some of the firewall plate but still need a bit of help.

The model/body number is 3826. I learned from another thread that 38 is Windsor. What does the 26 mean?

What paint color is number 46?

What does trim code 75 mean?

What does luggage rack code 3 mean?

Thanks!!

post-71066-143138334073_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What you have is a Chrysler Traveler that was based on the Windsor.

The luggage rack code denotes that there is/was a luggage rack on the roof of the car. From the picture the stanchions are there.

The other #'s I would have to look up.

What interior is in the car now? Is it naugahyde or cloth?

The Traveler is not a very common car. They seem to be gaining in popularity. It was a sort of Town and Country without the wood.

The one thing that is almost ALWAYS missing from these cars is a metal step plate that attaches on the top of the rocker panels/door sill plates. There should be two holes for this plate on both sides of the car. I think on the rear door sills. This was a feature from the factory and it assisted people in loading and unloading things from the roof/luggage rack. You would attach the plate and then stand on it to load/unload the rack. It made it easier to reach stuff. I have a 47 T & C sedan and that would have been a nice feature for my car, too. But for whatever reason Chrysler did not use it on the T & C's.

The VIN # is on a plate on the driver side door jamb - open the door and look on the jamb about the level of the emergency brake handle.

That is the correct paint combination. All Travelers were painted that combo - unless it was special ordered from the factory. I am not even sure that could be done.

If you need some parts/help I may be able to help.

I do know of a guy that makes the luggage racks for these. NOT CHEAP but where are you going to find one?

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...