Air cleaner?

64R

There's a second option. I don't have my notes in front of me right now, but someone is marketing a screen printed piece of aluminum rather than the vinyl decal. I've done a couple of decals and seen the screen printed replacement piece. NO COMPARISON and well worth the extra $$$ if you're serious about how it looks.

I'll send another post when I've sorted through my notes.

Ed

As the engine moves during acceleration and braking, the top of the air cleaner rubs on the hood insulation. This wears through the decal, which makes it look like it is painted on. Mine looked very similar before I replaced it.

Well that makes sense, it didn't look at all like a decal but if you very slowly rub it down like that, it probably would wear down similar to paint.

There's a second option. I don't have my notes in front of me right now, but someone is marketing a screen printed piece of aluminum rather than the vinyl decal. I've done a couple of decals and seen the screen printed replacement piece. NO COMPARISON and well worth the extra $$$ if you're serious about how it looks.

I'll send another post when I've sorted through my notes.

Ed

That's great to know Ed, the Old Buick Parts has that and I was wondering what that was all about? It's $30 instead of $15 so we're not talking about a huge difference. It says something about being on an aluminum disc which of course further confused me. I'll get both and report back :D

You guys are the best!

It says something about being on an aluminum disc which of course further confused me. I'll get both and report back :D

You guys are the best!

weren't the originals on aluminum disc?

Yes, the original is an aluminum disk (with a split to allow installing on the curved surface). I still have my severely scratch original. I replaced with the decal and found that this decal is not the greatest. If I had to do over again, I would pop for the few extra $$$ and get the silk screened one.

For '63, the Riv had a Red Crinkle paint.

I think if you search this forum you will find reference to a Red Crinkle (or Wrinkle) paint from VHT. You may have to bake the paint after spraying to get the crinkles.

I choose to get mine power coated using a textured Red. The red and the texture aren't 100% correct, but I like it.

Attached are some chips from the original paint, and after powder coat.

post-65039-143138335739_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143138335745_thumb.jpg

The decal looks good, but it's practically impossible to get on without some bubbles under the decal. You're supposed to put the decal on the original aluminum piece and getting that piece smooth enough to put a decal on is the real trip.

Spend the extra $15 and you'll be glad you did.

BUT before you do, call and talk to the guys at CARS. They're not showing an aluminum disc for the '64, just the '63. The one they say is for the '64 / 65 is only the smaller one as used on the '65. You need the larger one like the '63. The '63 says "Riviera / Wildcat" on it, and the '64 says "Buick / Wildcat" on it as in your picture. Study them closely

Ed

Thanks Ed, I did notice that 2 different sizes were offered, 10 and 14", I'll make sure I get the correct one. So I gather the one that comes with the disc has all the dirty work done for you so you don't need to sweat with the decal, I like that idea. Is the disc glued to the air cleaner lid so I just pry the old one off carefully?

Like you said, it's a complete replacement for the disc that's now on your air cleaner. You'll have some glue to remove from the lid before the new one will sit flat.

The dirty work you're refering to is a really nice screen processed print job; they didn't put a decal on a new aluminum disk.

Just make sure that CARS sells the one you need. From what I saw last night when I was looking through the online catalog, they have the 14" disc for the '63 but I didn't see a 14" disc for the '64, only the 14" decal for the '64. I have a hard copy of their catalog, I'll check it and see what's in it and get back to you.

You're lucky, the '64 breather is black. The '63 is a really orangish shade of red that's not available in the wrinkle finish (or any other rattle can.) I don't know if any of the original '63 air cleaners still have the OE color on them because so many have been repainted with the VHT red wrinkle paint. ;)

Addenum: I did find a picture of a correct '63 air cleaner. This one has had a decal added. You can see the bubbles in it. You can also see the funny red color of the OE breather. Luckily for you, and the other '64 owners, the '64 breather is black and it is smooth, not wrinkle painted.'

Addneum 2: Rob, In the CARS catalog, I found the correct part number for the disc you want. It's part number D-94A. If you go back to the CARS website, put the part number in the search bar but don't use any dashes. It will come up correctly. The picture on the website is of a '63 unit but the description is correct for all '64 Rivieras and the '66 GS. The picture in the catalog is correct.

Ed

Edited by RivNut
Add pictures; add part # (see edit history)

I'm not sure if I'm getting it from CARS, I need a few other misc. parts and the "Old Buick Parts" guys seem to have quite a selection. I'm pretty sure I saw the correct 64 one with the disc in their catalog. What type of glue would you use for the disc? Maybe just some silicone?

I was looking at my aluminum original, if you flip it over you can see the printing in reverse...

I'm perplexed by this, anyone care to explain?

I was looking at my aluminum original, if you flip it over you can see the printing in reverse...

I'm perplexed by this, anyone care to explain?

I'll bet they were stacked on top of each other during manufacturing (before being applied to the lid). The ink from the one below it left a shadow on the one above.