1954 CORVETTE PROJECT

Guest pinkchrome

Guest Silverghost

If you look hard & long enough you can find a proper "Blue Flame Six" with the proper carter YH sidedraft carbs.

I found such an engine for a friend's 53 !

This is still a good project.

Guest Silverghost

Funny story:

The corvette I found the "Blue Flame Six" for was restored for my buddy's wife.

She had always wanted an early vette because of the look of the body style.

It was her 40th birthday gift !

He spent a ton of cash buying the project and parts & restoring the car to showroom new condition.

She was thrilled~

Drove it for only 400 miles and decided she did not like it because of the lack of power and performance !

She also did not like the two speed automatic powerglide !

All very eary vettes (53-54) had this "Blue Flame Six" and powerglide !

She had a new vette in 1972 !

This car was a snail compared to the later V8 Corvettes ...

Finally it just sat in the garage until he sold it to a guy from Florida with a briefcase full of cash...

This second fellow later sold it to Reggie Jackson !

Sadly it was burned when Reggie lost his entire collection in a big warehouse fire !

25 + cars burned~

Mostly Chevys !

That was 25-30 years ago ...

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest pinkchrome

iv grown up watching my dad restore all kninds of cars mostly first generation camaros its in my blood i love it ,ive wanted an old vette since i was 12 years old the last couple of years iv got into the car business with my dad and brother and iv just gotton to where i buy my own cars and i found this iv never been as happy in my life to my knowledge it is real at least i bought it ,thinking so i have the vin and title in a frame which i just took down so i can research it to make sure its what its supposed to be i wanted to keep this car forever probably in my living room truth be told but finances have put me in the position thats either sell it to keep things going or stop all together and i just getting started ,i have nevewr been prouder of anything ion my life except my son ,than i was to find this car not to mention the deal i got on it ,my dad was even impressed,so you really dont have to make me feel like a fraud or down my car and yes a pontiac motor,its a discrace,like putting a vw motor in an a12 mopar,its just not dsone but thats the way it came to me,motor aside i think the car is awesome

If you restore numbers matching muscle cars this can't be the first time you had anyone question the authenticity of a car. I'm not trying to make you feel any way at all, just stating facts based on my years in this hobby. Do you not find it just a bit strange that the only part you have is a body shell? Every single other part that makes this a Corvette has somehow been lost? I find that extremely hard to swallow. Can you prove it is sitting on the correct frame? As a long time antique car collector and restorer I'm just trying to get the most information possible on something you have chosen to sell on an International forum and claim to be a very rare car. Prove me wrong and we will both be happy for it and you may make a sale.

Howard Dennis

PinkChrome,

You'll do yourself a favor by being a bit more straightforward on what you are selling. You say "NOT PIECED TOGETHER" but its' got a later Pontiac 6 cylinder engine.

Nothing wrong with just calling it what it is:

----

1954 Corvette

Project vehicle

incorrect motor

not complete

$16000 OBO

Guest pinkchrome

Howard Dennis where are the numbers on the frame and i will check and as far as pieced together i meant the body im very sorry im not trying to rip anybody Gosh... im a little naiever i g

uess on the issues

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Guest pinkchrome
PinkChrome,

You'll do yourself a favor by being a bit more straightforward on what you are selling. You say "NOT PIECED TOGETHER" but its' got a later Pontiac 6 cylinder engine.

Nothing wrong with just calling it what it is:

----

1954 Corvette

Project vehicle

incorrect motor

not complete

$16000 OBO

i meant the body isnt patched together from 3 different cars or something im sorry i didnt mean any harm i love this car i dont want to sell it but my families car business is financially strapped and in danger of cxlosing im trying to help out im just ignorant on the facts im not trying to dupe anyone

where are the numbers on the frame and i will check and as far as pieced together i meant the body im very sorry im not trying to rip anybody Gosh... im a little naiever i g

uess on the issues

I've been trying my darndest to get that information for you and have been disappointed in the lack of response by the Chevrolet collectors.

Howard Dennis

Guest Silverghost

I have to tell you upfront~

From the very few photos you have 'online...

The body looks good~

Possibly TOO GOOD; to be an original 1954 Corvette.

The other thing that bothers me, and everyone else, is the fact that there are no other trim, interior, and any other original 1954 vette parts along with this car.

That in itself is very very strange indeed~

The engine is totaly wrong.

Everyone knows this already.

We all NEED to see more close-up photos of the body.

Are there any body panel bonding strips under the fenders, & quarters ?

Original Corvettes of this era were in fact pieced-together using black polyester putty bonding "Glue" and heavy bonding strips underneath the bonded panel parts seams. If you remove the top body paint & primer you can see these many panel seams.

Early Corvette bodys were not always totally straight and smooth. If you look very closely at an original painted Covette you can see these seams.

Many folks today over restore these eary bodys to smooth these seams.

The NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) will take big points off for this in judging at vette shows !

What did the guy who sold it to you say about all the missing real Corvette parts ?

How did he explain this away ?

Also needed are front,sides, and rear photos of the chassis.

Be warned~

Several outfits have made reproduction kit car bodys for the early 53,54,55 Corvettes over the years~.

This MAY very well be what you have here !

I hope NOT~

We ALL hope not~

But I just wanted to prepare you for that real possibility...

Post more photos HERE on this site.

My "Antique Computer" is having problems with your photo-bucket site & I am still on 56 K not broadband !

We don't wish to slam your project.

Everyone wants to find out what you really have here~

We just want to help you & to see what it is you really have !

Is it an old original...

Or a more modern reproduction kit car?

There price for each is thousands/ possibly tens of thousands apart !

A reproduction kit car project would only appeal to...

Dare I say it here ?

A streetrodder or hotrod person.

A Corvette Collector would want the Real Original Corvette~

And they would be willing to pay BIG $$$ for it !

I & the forum members will be able to tell you for sure with more close-up body & especially chassis photos !

Please post the new photos HERE for all to see; especially me!

My computer shuts-down trying to load your photo-bucket photos. Just too much data for this 10 year old computer to handle !

You could also email me your photos at reduced reolution !

I am only too glad to help.

I am a real early solid axel Corvette guy...

Have been since 1970 !

Good Luck ...

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Guest Silverghost

A little background info on the original series Corvette body:

The very first Corvettes were GM/ Chevrolet Motorama Show display cars.

They were never intended to really be put into production.

Public demand & support asking to be able to buy this fantastic car forced Chevrolet & GM to go ahead and try to build it as a low limited production car.

The very first Corvettes were given away *suposedly sold )to very high public profile people and entertainers for factory publicty !

Chevrolet gave the contract to build the bodys to MFG Corp. They were an early fiberglass small boat builder.

They were thought to have much experience in low production of fiberglass body panels .

The fiberglass & polyester resin was hand laid into cusom built mahogany wood mold dies coated with a wax release agent.

When the proper thickness was laid-up a top mahogany mold was placed on top.

The entire mold & die package was then put in a big high pressure press and squeezed until the part cured.

This was a very slow low production hand process.

Once the part cured it was popped out of the dies and excess fiberglass around it's edges was trimmed away.

There were dozens of these panel parts that were put together into one entire body assembly !

Chevy/GM sold these repair panels for collision damage repair.

All the different panel pieces were then placed into large clamping jigs to become part of the larger body assembly.

As these smaller body panel parts were put together the butted panel seams were "Glued" together with a special thickened polyester bonding putty compound . Under each bonded seam was a very special "Bonding Strip" that helped hold the bonded seams together & stiffen the seams... Just like the ribs in a boat or airplane.

This helped to give the entire body a solid structure also.

When the bonding putty "Glue" had cured the top of each seam was ground & sanded smooth.

You can still see all of the custom "bonding Strips" under each body panel today with the special cured bonding putty gent oozing out.

The early corvettes were a complicated hand-built jigsaw puzzle that took a lot of time and labor to build.

No wonder they cost so much in their day.

Chevrolet lost big $$$ money on each unit sold !

When the entire body was pieced-together it then looked like an assembled jigsaw puzzle !

You could see all the individual body panel seams !

Only when the body was primed with a special fiberglass primer did the seams amost disapear !

I say almost.... because if you woud look really close today you can still see many of those panel seams.

Many of these cars are over-restored today as all these small bonding seams are smoothed-out.

This is a big mistake restorers make.

It's a BIG NO NO !

The NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) when judging these cars at shows will take a large number of points off if you smooth over these original bonding seam lines.

Because of the very low production problems & very high building costs GM & Chevrolet tried to kill the future Corvette production many times !

It has barely hung-on over the years. !

Guest Silverghost

Two days later and WE/I are still waiting for photos to be posted here so we can help you discover what you really have for sale !

You can also email the photos directly to me or Peter the site Administrator who posted earlier in your thread above !

Guest Silverghost

Good News !

Pinkchrome sent me 27 Body and Interior photos early toady.

I can now officially confirm that this body is indeed a genuine original 1954 Corvette !

There is no doubt about this in my mind~

You can be 100 % sure of this body.

The steering column is genuine Corvette also; not the steering wheel.

As you can see the wheels & tires are not correct !

All we need to see are photos now of four views of it's chassis which I have not seen. I will then be able to evaluate it as to it's possible correctness.

The email that I received, along with these photos, explained that this Corvette project was purchased fom an old Corvette car & parts dealer.

I suspect he pulled-off all the original 54 Corvette trim + interior & other Corvette parts and sold or kept them before selling pinkchome this car.

Why they would strip this great & very rare low production early Corvette car is anyone's guess ?

I have a few ideas that are possible on this~

How about You ?

So what I see here so far is a good original 1954 Corvette body .

So far pretty good~

I am now waiting for additional chassis underside undercarriage photos~

Stay Tuned~

This is getting interesting is it not ?

BH

Guest Silverghost

Here are but a few of the better photos of pinkchrome's genuine original 1954 Corvette !

It is the REAL THING !

I am 100% sure of this ~

post-43543-143138335834_thumb.jpg

post-43543-143138335836_thumb.jpg

post-43543-143138335838_thumb.jpg

post-43543-14313833584_thumb.jpg

post-43543-143138335842_thumb.jpg

Guest Silverghost

Great News Again !!!

I just received a group of undercarriage chassis photos from PinkChrome...

She had to lay on the ground to take these shots under the Corvette.

At tough job for anyone to do indeed !

I will attempt to post a few of her chassis & suspension photos later in the day !

The Chassis & undercarriage +suspension Conclusion :

This Chassis and suspension undercarriage is indeed the proper chassis & suspension for an original 1954 Chevrolet Corvette !

There you have it folks:

It is indeed an original & very very rare...

Chevrolet 1954 Corvette Project !!!

Guest pinkchrome

ok thats so great ,so now that its real what do i ask for it i really need to sell and thank you so much to all you guys even that ole mean man that i forgive[lol]you guys are great

Guest pinkchrome
If you restore numbers matching muscle cars this can't be the first time you had anyone question the authenticity of a car. I'm not trying to make you feel any way at all, just stating facts based on my years in this hobby. Do you not find it just a bit strange that the only part you have is a body shell? Every single other part that makes this a Corvette has somehow been lost? I find that extremely hard to swallow. Can you prove it is sitting on the correct frame? As a long time antique car collector and restorer I'm just trying to get the most information possible on something you have chosen to sell on an International forum and claim to be a very rare car. Prove me wrong and we will both be happy for it and you may make a sale.

Howard Dennis

proved you wrong !now you wanna buy it ?thanks your mean but you helpful

Guest pinkchrome

actually my new good friend brad proved you wrong,im just extremewly happy,you guys know what you talking about,i hope to learn a lot from all of you

proved you wrong !now you wanna buy it ?thanks your mean but you helpful

I'll just accept that as a youthful inexperienced Thank You, Your Welcome.

I still don't believe you realize the large bullet you just dodged by not researching first. Well Brad and I just did it for you and hope you learned that this is first and foremost if you intend to stay in this hobby. As we speak there are much older and wiser collectors sitting on worthless fakes and we were merely trying to see that it didn't happen again. The hobby has also gained one more early Corvette. Good luck with your sale and I hope this won't be the last we hear from you. This is a great hobby and full of very helpful people, just ask we need new blood.

Howard Dennis

Guest pinkchrome

hey guys iv got a lady interested in my car i need to know howmuch to tell her she should be known in this community paulette coniglio she owns thesedownload?mid=1%5f26867219%5fAHnHtEQAALEXTMa89gZ3AX1IfxA&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Guest Silverghost

Here is the VIN number break-down for this 1954 Chevrolet

E54S002635

E-Corvette Model

54- 1954 (second year for Corvette Production

S- St Louis assembly

plant

002635-- # 1635 built in 1954

(numbers ran from 1001--4640 )

Color- White (80%)

Interior ? - Red (95%)

Total 1954 Production 3640

1100 remaind UNSOLD at end of production model year !

1953- (300-314 * built

First year of production)...

*note:

Exact number questioned .

How many are known to exist ?

Anyone's guess ! ?

Now we know of at least one more 1954 project car that should be soon restored with any luck.

Value ????

To the right person~

Priceless !!!

A very Happy Ending to this Corvette saga !

So happy I was able to sort this car's true identity out for

Bridget !

Good Luck !