Steering Sector Lube ?

FLYER15015

I've searched this forum from head to toe first just to make sure I'm not repeating old stuff, but I cannot find any references as to the type of lube I am supposed to use in the steering sector on a 1940 BUICK Limited (90).

The reprinted manual I just received states that the sector is filled @ the factory with "a special all season Lubricant" and it is "a light non flowing lubricant".

I opened mine just to check and it is either way down or most likely empty.

I need to adjust the "high point" for all you old timers, and refill the sector so I'm wondering what everybody else is using.

In the old days we used to put 90 wt gearlube and a tablespoon of Moly di sulfide grease in the jag's when I worked in the shop, cause they were real heavy in the front.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mike in colorado:confused:

I had the same question on my 1939. I started with 90 wt gear lube and it leaked, went to 140 and the steering box still showed signs of leakage.

The experienced guys here suggested chassis lube and that is what I am using.

Barney,

Thanks for the input. When I removed the top plug I saw, what I thought was old grease on the bottom of the plug, but nothing inside. There is no "zerk" on the box, so i guess I could just stick my grease gun in the hole and then the question is do I fill the box up, or just give it a couple of pumps ?

I'd like to get more input before I do this, cause chassis lube will be hard to drain.

Well thank the Lord for Google. I punched in "steering sector lube" and what poped up but several sources with answers. Ford = chassis lube. Chevy = chassis lube. Both recommended a moly/lithium type , which I use anyway, and both recommended jack up the car, turn full left and fill, replace plug, turn full right, and refill clear to the top, drive a few days and refill.

Sooooo.... I answered my own question. Sorry to fill up the forum with dumb stuff, before doing enough reasearch.

My apologies to all,

Mike in Colorado

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015
answered my own question (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

I use BP Semi Fluid grease. Might have trouble getting it in the USA though.

I have seen steering lube for sale at a swapmeet once. Haven't seen it since though.

Cheers

Grant

I have recently used Penrite Steering Box Lubricant on the '39 Buick.

It is an Australian product. I am in New Zealand and got mine via Supercheap Auto. They ordered it in from a distributor. Product details are at:

STEERING BOX LUBRICANT - Penrite Oil

There must be a similar product in the USA. You guys shouldn't have to be guessing or making up your own brew.