1946-48 Chrysler hood laatch-hood cable question

Guest martylum

Guest martylum

Hi-I'm wondering what might be missing on a 48 Chrysler hood latch-cable release at the hood latch. The dash cable end is connected to a u shaped bracket which is connected to the latch underneath the metal latch pan in a way which doesn't seem correct.

Does anyone have their hood latch unbolted from the metal pan so i can see how the cable is tied in to the latch. This car's latch does not bump up the hood when you pull the cable so it's tough to get your fingers under the hood to open up.

thanks for your help.

Martin Lum

Guest martylum

Thanks for your response. Can you e-mail me a picture of the latch assembly. There's no latch push up spring on the deck the latch is bolted to. This is a New Yorker by the way.

the other problem is the cable end is attaached to the u-shaped bracket which has the long slot in it but the cable does not seem to be installed in a proper way. These items are underneath the latch deck.

I've made an attempt to add 2 pictures to this reply-let's see how it went

marty Lum

marty@oldercar.com

post-54166-143138327085_thumb.jpg

post-54166-143138327087_thumb.jpg

Marty: Your pics show parts that are correct for the car. If you look carefully, you'll see the coiled spring located toward the bottom of the latch mechanism; which itself is located below the "deck." There is no spring on top of the "deck."

If you cannot spot the spring, perhaps it has broken and fallen away. IF the spring is indeed gone, you can just get a replacement latch mechanism from a vintage car wrecking yard.

All you then need do is rig-up a "link" that will connect your hood cable end to the hole in the end of the slotted arm. This may require some odds & ends pieces, but at least your cable will be functional. As a follow-up, I'll send a photo of my latch. Bill in Tacoma.