What is this part called?

Guest natepen

Guest natepen

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. Me and my dad were lucky enough to get ahold of a 1924 Studebaker Big Six last week and while we were looking the car over the previous owner was telling us of a "whistle" that ran from the gas tank to right under the drivers seat that would start to whistle when the fuel was getting low. I was hoping that someone in here would know what this part was and what the technical name for that part was so we could try to find one. Any other information on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nate

Your 1924 Big Six model EK is the only Studebaker (and maybe the only car made)

that used this interesting device. It was called simply Gasoline Tank Supply Signal.

Below two explanations, the first coming from the Service Manual supplement and the

second from the Owners Manual.

GASOLINE TANK SUPPLY SIGNAL (from Service Manual supplement)

OPERATION

The signal on the instrument board is a small whistle mounted in a two-way cock. This is connected with the vacuum tank through the device on the gasoline tank. When the gasoline tank is full of gasoline the passageway through the device on the tank is sealed. (Ills. No.1 O-G, Fig. I.) When the level of gasoline reaches approximately three gallons the passageway through the device is opened up permitting air to be drawn through the whistle of the instrument board. (Ills. No.1 O-G, Fig. 2.)

The whistle can be shut off by turning the signal cock to "Reserve." When in this position the vacuum tank operates as usual and the gasoline can all be drawn from the tank.

IMPROPER OPERATION

Since there are no moving parts in the signal device, dirt in the gasoline is practically the only source of trouble. A large accumulation of sediment may cause the whistle to blow with a reserve supply greater than normal. This sediment may accumulate in the screen strainer between the device and the gasoline tank. In this case remove the supply signal body (Article No. 7-G) and clean the screen. An orifice in the trap screw may become plugged. The screw can be removed and cleaned. If the vent hole in the gasoline tank filler cap is clogged or not large enough the whistle will blow before the gasoline is drawn down to the normal reserve. The vent should be cleaned or enlarged.

If the whistle does not sound until all the gasoline is drawn out of the tank, the whistle tube and whistle cock should be examined for some obstruction. If, with the whistle cock turned to "Reserve," all the gasoline cannot be drawn from the tank, inspect the whistle tube for a break.

Gasoline Tank Supply Signal (From owners manual)

If this signal is properly used it will prove a valuable aid to driving. When the gasoline tank is filled, be sure the signal is turned to "Supply." When the whistle blows it indicates that the supply of gasoline in the tank is down to approximately three gallons. To shut off the whistle, turn the signal to "Reserve." The signal turned in this position is a constant reminder that the gasoline supply should be replenished as soon as possible. After filling the tank turn the signal back to "Supply" or it will fail to sound a warning when the gasoline is low again.