Great Hershey Car Finds !

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

Sadly I did not attend the Hershey meet this year...

What were some of the Great & rare unusual cars that attended this year that stand out in your mind ?

How about some great Rare & Unusual Hershey Flea Market parts finds ?

Horse traded with a friend/vendor/dentist a NORS 56 Ford pair of dual tail pipes in a swap to have one of my wisdom teeth pulled at a later date.

Deal wise I bought 10 medium buffing wheels for $5 total, and that was a super bargain. Have got about 100 pair of wiper blades from the 50's-60's that I'll be cleaning up and bringing to the Turkey Run in sunny Florida.

As a vendor.... I spent 3 days pre-sorting and boxing up all the stuff I just didn't ever want to see again and made a rather large "dollar pile" in the Green Field. I think I paid for my spaces with the many purchases from that table. Thank you Dollar Store shoppers...!!!

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

Seeing the 1902 KNOX restored after it burned to the ground on a 1990's tour was a highlight for me. Two Model K Fords and two T Head MERCER Raceabouts made for great viewing. Nice that the early cars are close to the entrance, sorry the trucks are a half mile away.

Bob, sorry that the double decker to the show was not available to us. With 1250+ cars something is going to be "1/2 mile away" but you need the exercise anyway!

I got the thrill of a lifetime in a piece of literature brought for me to see by a vendor on the Orange Field. I have already donated it to our library as it does not belong in my private collection. It is an amazing letter to Henry Ford by one of the designers at Olds Motor Works and the contents are astounding.

Seeing the 1902 KNOX restored after it burned to the ground on a 1990's tour was a highlight for me. Two Model K Fords and two T Head MERCER Raceabouts made for great viewing. Nice that the early cars are close to the entrance, sorry the trucks are a half mile away.

Unfortunately, the owner of the other known 1902 Knox did not get his registration in on time, otherwise there would have been two side-by-side like those Model K Fords.

The best "steal" I heard about was a pair of beautiful Stephen Grabel headlights needing only replating. They were bought for just pennies relative to what they were worth. Ironically, the buyer had just bought a Mercedes needing the exact lights.

It really is true. If you need it, it's at Hershey. You just have to look.

Yeah West, in another thread this morning I wrote:

"A Buick/Olds/Pontiac guy can indeed be disappointed at Hershey. More often than not I went through and came out with nothing I needed for my 1957 Pontiac, all the while people chortling that "if you can't find it here you don't need it" or even worse "if you can't find it here it doesn't exist." Annoying to me, thank you, last year there was not even a 1957 Pontiac in the show, so I guess they must not exist at all, correct? But that is the BOP experience at most swap meets."

I love Hershey and your work for the club and previously is great. I will good naturedly say PLEASE don't fall back on this tired and insulting line. SIR, I EXIST!!

Todd C

Todd,

Of course everything is not in Hershey but a lot of it is. The "hunt" is exhausting and sometimes things are there that you just miss. I had a team of 4 guys looking for a rare set of lamps at Hershey one year. On the last day after almost 5 days of searching (we began Tuesday night) a vendor pulled a box from under his table and there they were! We were leaving to go back home and accidently visited this vendor for a second time!

Hope you find what you need soon!

Is that the one a fellow commissioned to be built for his wife, and she never drove it? I admire her taste in automobiles whoever she was. ;)

The highlight for me was the astounding 39 custom body Rolls Royce. Words can't adequately describe the sheer beauty of this car. I hope there will be pictures posted of it for all who missed it.

Not really a Chrysler fan but the Thunderbolt in the car corral under the clear plastic cover after dark was fantastic to see. We were discussing that it probably had a high price tag on it since it just had a phone number to call if interested and it was an unusual find in a car corral.

We then noticed the security guard watching us carefully and he said he was told the price was over a million dollars. I said something like I guess that was why he was standing there and he said he was hired to watch the Thunderbolt and a couple of the cars next to it.

One of many great moments at Hershey 2010.

Is that the one a fellow commissioned to be built for his wife, and she never drove it? I admire her taste in automobiles whoever she was. ;)

I heard the owner telling somebody the original owner was a New York Millionaire who commisioned an exotic car every year. It took about 3 months to complete and by the time he recieved it he drove it very little before it was time to order the next new one. I didn't hear about his wife in the story. I think the current owner was from Baltimore and he said the millionaire's name was Ritter or something like that.The car had all gold-plated brightwork,hidden headlight and swoopy fenders and body. It was right hand drive which I thought odd if you give credence to the New York City original delivery.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

I found the full story of the 1939 Rolls-Royce at the following link.

JWR Automobile Museum | 2 Eleanor Ave. Frackville, PA 17931 | Phone: 570-874-2822 | Fax: 570-874-2026 The Ritter Museum is in Frackville, PA. I always enjoy seeing the K Series Lincolns and the Packards from the '30's. I was not disappointed. One that stands out was the off-white 1934 Packard Twelve convertible sedan at the show. Things that really stirred my feelings at the car corral included a 1948 Indian Chief with side car and a stunning 1957 Pontiac Bonneville. I don't think the museum address will work as a link google the J W Ritter Museum, Frackville, PA and you'll find it.

Guest Silverghost

xRe: Rolls~Royce

There had been a long time story around among the Rolls~Royce collectors that when the Rolls~Royce Co saw this radical body style they tried to buy-back the car . The big issue with them was thier trademark R~R radiator was changed.

They did not want anyone to touch the famous symbol of a Rolls~Royce car !

I don't know how true these stories are ?~~

But I suspect the R~R boys in England were not very happy !

Personally I think the Labourdette body is fantastic !

Most Brittish Rolls~Royce coachwork from this time period was old fashoned and very straight laced & formal.

This body really shows off the coachbuider's art of craftsmanship and design.

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest JR Cars

Thanks Steve for the kind words! It was a lot of fun showing the RR that day. I've always said it was very polarizing; people either really love it or really hate it. Regardless, you won't forget seeing it!

Dave, all 719 Phantom IIIs were RHD, so there was no other option.

Now there is the way to handle things. Rare you find someone who will admit their car is "polarizing" and Mark has never backed off that some people do not like the car. Jack and Mark fully accept the statement this car makes. However, the reaction from the crowds I have seen is overwhelmingly positive. It is a stunning car in person and as a car guy, I cannot get over the talented coachwork.

Hey guys, it ain't nice to say bad things about someone's car. Sort of like saying you have an ugly baby! (unless of course it is a Pontiac Aztec and then all bets are off!)

Guest bofusmosby

Hey guys, it ain't nice to say bad things about someone's car. Sort of like saying you have an ugly baby! (unless of course it is a Pontiac Aztec and then all bets are off!)

Come on now Steve, you insulted My Pontiac! :D:D