Hershey 2010 Feedback

Bill Clark

I just read that New York Times article and even that author seems conditioned to be most interested in cars for sale.

Steve, why do you think national media is NOT more interested in Hershey? It surprises me but that is what I seem to notice.

Poci1957.

The NY Times for years has zeroed in on the Car Coral simply for "current value" of old vehicles. I recall about 12 (+/-) years ago a friend in CT gave me a copy of a NY Times article just after Hershey. It was the same thing: "old car values" for the most part with very little substance about the Meet in general.

Peter J.

We showed up and got in line on Boathouse road before 7:00 AM, the fields were opened about when they were in years past, but the traffic control onto the road going onto Hershey property was very poor. The officers controlling traffic only let rigs onto the the road as the traffic lights would allow, which made getting onto the field a long chore. Those who did not get in line could just turn left from Hershey park drive, which used to be prohibited. It was like we were penalized for playing by the rules.

In previous years the officers would control traffic and over ride the lights, moving all of the rigs onto the feild at once, which worked better.

But let someone like Jay Leno show up and the media will be all over it. They don't realize that is it the everyday Joe/Jo Schmos like us that keep this hobby going. We outnumber the Jay Lenos of the world by a bunch.

And like many events that happen every year it is old news to them. It takes something "special" to get their attention to send out that camera crew and TV personality to cover it.

Prime example this year at Hershey. The crowds were not around those high dollar stunning early vehicles. Nope, they were around Paul Christ's "ugly" (by his own loving description :D) former police S.W.A.T. type truck. Bullet holes and black paint drew in the crowds over flashy chrome and paint jobs that would pay the mortgage for quite awhile. People like to see something different. Just look at how much we all looked forward to the bi-plane fly-over. :cool: Sadly that had to be scrapped :( but we wanted to see it. :)

Well, it just surprises me that so many old car fans seem unaware. Of course it is only natural that any large event is more famous in it's own region and less so as you move further away. But Hershey is not just any local event.

It seems kind of an odd situation. I appreciate Steve's comments that the club does not wish to waste money on advertising, especially when it hardly seems necessary to bring in more people. Paying for ads to bring more people to an event with no admission charge, I might add. But it seems years ago everyone who read an old car magazine knew about Hershey and now no one does. Maybe that is the problem, no one I know takes the magazines anymore? Or is it just due to my own area which is so street rod oriented? Still wonder if anyone else in the midwest or further has a comment on that. Todd

Susan: The crowds love the unusual stuff wheether it was Don Barlup's HPOF truck, the "SWAT" truck oor countlessother vehicles that only shopw up at Hershey. However, the crowds around the "high dollar stunning cars" were just as huge. I know, I judged in those classes and it was mayhem. Thankfully Hershey crowds come to really see the cars and they get quite the education. Crowds in the brass car area were huge as well.

1957, not sure what to say as we have consistently had coverage in all the major magazines. However, that is more preaching to the choir. AACA and the fall meet need much more exposure and we aim to "get at it".

Jeff thank you for your support. Think of it, if every member got us ONE new member each year how big would we be!! Everyone has to meet at least one person at a cruise in, car show or elsewhere. If this were a mission by our members we would have little problem with exposure of our events around the world!

It finally comes down to the fact that AACA, including the executive director, needs to do a better job at reaching out to the mass media.
No Steve, you already work too hard as it is. DON'T PUT YOURSELF DOWN!!

Hershey is a national meet hosted by the Hershey Region. That is their job to promote the event, not yours or AACA national.

Promoting the event is the responsibility of every region who hosts a national meet or tour. In addition to the host region, that's where the local chamber of commerce should be getting their hands dirty as well. The Chamber of Commerce survives based on sales tax generated by these national events, so they, in addition to the region should be doing it, as they're the ones who will have the most to gain.

The folks in Hershey know when the car show is coming to town, the issue lies with the people outside of the area that don't know about Hershey.

If you as National Director, or the AACA National Board of Directors take the steps to promote Hershey, then you'll be obligated to take the same measures for each and every meet and tour. That would be cost prohibitive.

I would think anyone in the old car hobby knows about the great week.Every year its get better.Lets let the folks involved,and im sure they started working on next year,do the great job they are doing.Steve and all involved did a great job.Everybody has to realize what it takes to put this event on.Waiting for next year

I think possibly part of the answer has been stated. We use to see it in every car magazine you picked up. I still do but I get less than half the number I use to. I do read a bunch of car forums. I bet the less dedicated car people have dropped even more out of printed magazines. Hershey was mentioned on a few forums but maybe we should make it a point to drop a thread in from time to time on the forums we read. We would not have to be to obvious, we could just just say that we were getting ready to make our annual trip to Hershey for the big show/flea market an see if it stirs any responses.

Sorry Pat, I believe you are wrong on this one! This event is unique to our club as it is a fixture and of course it is a NATIONAL meet (and of course by far our largest). It is not about putting myself down or anyone else. The club needs more national publicity and we all know we can do better. You have to be accountable and I am sure our board would agree with me that we can do a better job. The Hershey Region has far more work than any other national meet and also does not have the reach we do with national publications. This one is our duty and one we try every year to get better at. Heck, we even had a year where Antiques Roadshow visited and filmed...a lot goes on that reaches different segments.

Guest windjamer

:)Friends when I said advertisment I was not talking about spending bo-ko maga bucks on T.V. ads or even a giant bill board. THE BEST advertisement imho is word of mouth. Its 9 oclock,dont ask if you know where your kid is, ask him if he got his membership card. The hitch on my truck has the AACA logo stuck in it when not towing. I have had people ask me about it,perfect time to BRAG about our club. The next time my small trl. hits the road both sides and back will have our logo on it. Wayne recruted new members this year just by being in a booth at the swap meet,set up a table at your next show and have someone knowlgable talk to the folks that stop by. When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it,his (DRs) are so old they vote.:D Steve is right, if each one of us recrute just one member a year the clube will double each year.:D

Sorry Pat, I believe you are wrong on this one! This event is unique to our club as it is a fixture and of course it is a NATIONAL meet (and of course by far our largest). It is not about putting myself down or anyone else. The club needs more national publicity and we all know we can do better. You have to be accountable and I am sure our board would agree with me that we can do a better job. The Hershey Region has far more work than any other national meet and also does not have the reach we do with national publications. This one is our duty and one we try every year to get better at. Heck, we even had a year where Antiques Roadshow visited and filmed...a lot goes on that reaches different segments.
But I am right in saying that you work too hard.

.....When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it,his (DRs) are so old they vote.:D Steve is right, if each one of us recrute just one member a year the clube will double each year.:D

Great idea wj. :) I am going to start leaving the magazines in places where folks will have access to them when we are done with them.

And thanks to the free memberships our Region was given I was able to get two new members into the National this year from right here on the forums. Hopefully they will rejoin for 2011....and beyond. :)

:)set up a table at your next show and have someone knowlgable talk to the folks that stop by. When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it.....

Another great idea, Dick, is to buy those AACA window stickers and put them on each antique car. They are small and unobtrusive. Also, have those National and Regional applications in each vehicle.

At our last regional meeting, I showed a small business card from another region that can be handy when you see an antique car you do not recognize. Stick one under their windshield wiper, unless its raining.:o

Wear your club colors when you are traveling in your antique car.

Be proactive! :D

Wayne

.....At our last regional meeting, I showed a small business card from another region that can be handy when you see an antique car you do not recognize. Stick one under their windshield wiper, unless its raining.:o .....Wayne

This we should think twice about. It might be counter productive as many folks do not want others touching their vehicles and some wipers are fragile and hard to replace.

My version of this is to have business cards available. Just walk up to the old car and hang around for a few minutes and the owner will more than likely show up. Usually most antique car owners tend to keep an eye on their car when it is out it public.

My version of this is to have business cards available. Just walk up to the old car and hang around for a few minutes and the owner will more than likely show up. Usually most antique car owners tend to keep an eye on their car when it is out it public.
We get enough attention with our vehicles where we usually sell the club when they come to look at one of our cars.

I work in advertising and always try and put in plug for the Hershey show at my newspaper and area newspapers here in New Jersey. I even have a link to the AACA page on my website! Imagine if everyone did that - it costs nothing and might increase awareness and memberships.

• 1 month later...

My two cents worth, never cut back on the swap meet field, work around it, and good riiddens to the old yellow field, the horror stories too. i can remeber the green field having the farmer pulling people out, I was luck I had a 4 wheel drive that year. if was fun in an odd sort of way trumping in the mud, as Hershey is always first come first service. but he second time around there alway more to see. 22 miles for one pass through. It could healthy exercise, and the most i get all year. I even trained for a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
I do wish the dust could be reduced on the show field. It was from the fresh crushed stone on the drive. It got everywhere on and in my car. Well, at least it beats mud!

If it had not been watered down well enough, or at all, long before any vehicles being driven on it then you are correct it will get everywhere and then is hard to remove. And some rock just keeps breaking down into dust and the problem just never seems to end no matter how many times it is drenched.

Until the rock was changed in the turn out area where one of my horses is he looked like Pig Pen from the Peanuts cartoons. He would lay down in that rock dust, roll and then stand up and shake and there was this cloud of dust that sifted off of him every time. :eek:

So I feel your pain on having to get rock dust out of the nooks and crannys of your vehicle. :(

Well this year 3 generations of my family went to hershey, my dad who is 75, who bought himself a new car 2 years ago ( 1927 Star ) my self, and my son who is 18.. and we had a great time, Even if the weather gods where not being too helpfull the first day,, but Muddle through it.. My son is going throught for auto body in school now, and the class was told at the begining of the not to take any time out of the course.. he asked the instructor about taking the week off to go to Hershey.. The instructor told him to go, and have fun,,

I went down in 2003 with a dear friend of mine who showed me around town, sadly he passed away last year of cancer,, In 2009 my dad asked me about going, and figured i had to take him, figured dont know how many more times we can do it , but we went back again this year , with more of the family, and got my 18 year old involved, and now he wants to go back again soon.. <<<< KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK >>>

• 3 weeks later...

They probably need to run a water truck, like the ones used to water down dirt tracks, through at least a day or two before the meet to rinse any dust away from the gravel.

Certain gravel types have dust that sticks like glue if it isn't rinsed away after it is delivered and spread out.

Edited by Shop Rat
type-o (see edit history)

Susan, I would not worry about it too much. This has already been disccussed at length. It was just broght back to the top by a spammer who posted by copying an earlier post and reposting it as a new response along with his website links in his signature. The Moderators have now deleted the spammer. If you want to see the previous discussion, go back and re-read this entire discussion from page 1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...