Hershey 2010 Feedback

Bill Clark

This year I dragged along a friend for a few of days of Hershey. Although he's been going to shows all over the east for years he had never made the pilgrimage to Hershey. He commented that he had never seen a show as big as this that was as well organized and so entertaining. I have to agree. This was a great show from every angle.

Last year I had a little problem with a U turn and made a suggestion that would fix the problem. I'm sure others had the same idea. I noticed Saturday that an improvement had been made and cars could easily get from the Chocolate field to the show.

We got there late enough Thursday that we had to park our trailers up the street in a bit of a mud hole. When I went back, there was a tractor posted on the field in the event that someone got bogged down. I went back later with my show car to drop junk off in the trailer and one of the volunteers gave me a ride in his golf cart so I did not have to take my car into the mud.

One of the great marks of an organization is recognizing problems and promptly making improvements. Awesome show. The people of the Hershey Region should be very proud.

Bill

One of the great marks of an organization is recognizing problems and promptly making improvements. Awesome show. The people of the Hershey Region should be very proud.

Bill

You're very right, but understand that the Hershey Region has put on a national meet since 1955. That's 55 years!!

All kidding aside, the best way to put on a good meet is to attend other meets. There will be things that you like, and there will be things that you won't like, you will remember what you like and dislike, and the best thing you can do is apply what you liked, and discard what you didn't like.

To the credit of Bill Boudway, I have not been to a meet since Louisville where the national anthem wasn't played prior to the start of the meet. Obviously what Bill did at our meet, everyone else must've liked.

..........the only thing is that no one has sung that national anthem as good as the girl that Bill rounded up, and when you add that 30' flag, it made it even better.

From a personal standpoint, I'm proud to have been involved with doing something that others have adopted at their meets too. That act alone could go on to be a legacy of GVACS.

Guest Joey07FJR

My one complaint is the lack of communication on the Hershey Fall Meet 'page' is the statement that there is no DPC / show car parking on Thursday or Friday. I even called ahead and was told my DPC car is welcome friday, but never told I would be stuck parking in the dirty field across the street. I was really upset. I guess this was supposed to be common knowledge!!!

Yea I'll be back next year, great show, on Saturday !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Guest Art Griffin

Having been a Meet Chairman for about 5 National Meets, there are always a few new problems that have to be solved for each meet. But, you solve them and move on. The Hershey Region has been putting on the Fall Meet for many years, and it's the biggest and most complicated of all National Meets. As far as I'm concerned, they just continue to get better and better. I came the first time in 1970, and I've had to miss a few years. But, I have been at more than I can count.

Congratulations Hershey Region on another SUPER job!

Best wishes,

Art Griffin

Cape Canaveral Region

i have a really bad back that makes wallkimg the swap meet impossible. therefore i usually only do 1/2 day on friday and then show on saturday. combine that with a 350 mile drive and then parking my car in a hay field on friday it made me decide the last 2 years to stay home. i greatly doubt i will ever be there again.

Hershey isn't for everyone. This was our 43rd year in the flea market and it has been interesting to see the changes over the years but at its core Hershey is always Hershey and I hope never to miss it until I slough off this mortal coil. I noticed more young people and talked to many folks this year who were new or relatively new to the hobby, an encouraging sign. Just got a call yesterday from a fellow looking for parts. He picked up our card at Hershey sometime prior to 1990 judging by the long since obsolete Rural Delivery Address. Happily we were able to help him.

I also noticed lots of young people throughout the week. even the membership booths that I worked at had new young people joining our club. Seemed like everyone had a smile on their face.

I can relate to Ted's back issue. When I arrived at the show field the first time, I had to climb some long steps to get onto the green field. I immediately said to myself that I will get exercise next year, one week prior to my trip to Hershey.:rolleyes:

Darn computers! Makes one lazy!:)

Wayne

Hi,

We should be announcing the no smoking rule for the showfield.

I observed several folks smoking and reminded them.

Been going to Hershey for many years and never knew this was a rule? Don't ever remember ever seeing a sign or a reminder in the registration paperwork?

I had not heard of that rule either. But then neither Bill nor I have ever smoked so it wouldn't apply to us anyway.

At $42.99 a carton :eek: here for Marlboros it is not a habit I would want to spend my money on. I want crab cakes, perogies and a Special Dark hot fudge sundae at Hershey. **drool** :D

I do wish the dust could be reduced on the show field. It was from the fresh crushed stone on the drive. It got everywhere on and in my car. Well, at least it beats mud!

Phil

Hi, Phil.

What do you suggest to reduce it with over 1200 cars showing? Oil on chipped stone drives is illegal. Water would of course create mud.

Had so much fun at Hershey that dusting off my car yesterday reminded me of a great time.

Attended a local region meet 4 weeks ago held in a town park. At one point it reminded me of Lawrence of Arabia with high winds blowing dust. Again, had a very nice time with over 500 cars in attendance...dusted it off and went to Hershey. The hobby is alive and well!

Peter J.

Guest Silverghost

I still remember the spongey & soaking wet "Cow Pasture" days of Hershey !

Most of you new-folks to

the Hershey Show event would never believe what we had to work with in those days !

There were "Cow Pies" all over the fields !

REALLY !!

And the little old airport where small planes would fly low overhead all day long !

I must sound like an "Old Timer"?

I'm only 55 !

This Hershey show sure has come a long way since I was first there in 1955 !

In those days we had more than a little stone dust to contend with !

I'd bet it will also be paved in the near future !

Steve will have to add paving the stone drive to his "Wish List" to give to the HERCO folks !

A little dust is no real issue ...

The RAIN IS !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I miss the little airport. Once, maybe 35 years ago, I flew my two kids into that strip in a rented Cessna, walked across the street to see the show, and flew back. On the way to Hershey, I called flight service to tell the folks where I was going. Half the western world was calling flight service, doing the same. The FAA guy on the ground said: "What's going on in Hershey?"

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

When my son and I were driving our '09 E-M-F and '06 Buick from Lititz to the show field on Saturday, we drove by a good-looking general aviation strip. It may have been Reigle Field in Palmyra. That's about 5 or 6 road miles from the show - too far to walk, unlike the old Hershey airport which was right across the street.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Guest reatta1991

Great show, once again this year! Hope to return in the future...

We've never heard of the "no smoking" rule...but then we don't smoke, so it doesn't affect us personally (unless smokers do their thing, which some were nearby!) Please publicize better for next year.

A small matter for me, but a big one for the better half, who'd rather sleep in than get up early for a ride to the show field in the antique: she notes that the shuttle service from Hershey Lodge had serious issues. She and several others waited in excess of 1.5 hours around 10:30-12:00 for a shuttle. One came by and discharged passengers, but the driver refused to let those waiting board. He said "another bus will be along in 7 minutes." It never showed.

Finally some of the non-car-show Lodge guests who wanted to go to Chocolate World convinced the Hotel to shuttle them over, and car show folks tagged along. The women going to the show walked from there, mightily disappointed in the shuttle service. Hershey Region may want to check that out for next year, and if Hershey Lodge is not to be served, make sure it is known well in advance. Thanks!

I still remember the spongey & soaking wet "Cow Pasture" days of Hershey !

Most of you new-folks to

the Hershey Show event would never believe what we had to work with in those days !

There were "Cow Pies" all over the fields !

The area where it is designated for car trailer parking isn't nearly as good as the show field. If everyone who trailers their car parks where they're supposed to, that area is (and has been) far worse than the showfield has ever been (I call it Yellow Field North).

We took flea market spaces so we don't have to park in that horrible field with our show cars. It keeps the car on blacktop, under lights, with security, that is close by. We've been setting up on the spot selling off excess parts while totally avoiding that field. The parts that we sell, pays for the spot, and if we buy something, we're not hauling it a 1/2 mile back to our vehicle.

The problem is that the Flea Market runs four days, the car show runs one day, and it is the Flea Market that pays the bills. The only way you'll ever satisfy the show car owners would be to cut back on the Flea Market.

To the defense of the Hershey Region, for many years everyone complained about the Yellow Field, they listened to everyone's complaints, and they fixed the problem. The issue that they have is that they only have so much room to put the entire event in. They've done what they could with the space that they've been given, and when they do that, something has to sacrifice. I don't think the show on the grass has been that bad, but I've never liked the trailer parking area.

By moving the show field, they've ended all complaints on the yellow field, they've reduced the amount of pedestrian traffic on Hersheypark Drive, and the only inconvenience they've given is to the car owners on Saturday.

With the way the showfield is, none of the cars has any less dust than the others. Clean the cars off, and let it go. The judges are smart enough to allow that. Cars get dusty, but no factory is clean either. These cars were built to be driven, and if the car is more than 50 years old, I'm sure that the car has seen its' share of dirt roads over the years.

From the viewpoint of someone that chaired a meet earlier this year, the Spring Meet cost over $60,000 to put on. Between all of the rentals, banquets, food, registration fees, etc. that is a lot of money. Our meet was 1/3rd the size of Hershey from a show field standpoint, so think about the costs of putting on Hershey. It's not easy.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

Guest windjamer
:) With all the rain Tues. and Weds. I m supprised there was any dust for the drive into the show field, I didnt see any.I too dont like the show field,but as someone else said, you have to work with what you have. I think the region done an exc. job. I just wish we could have a little more space. My car was back to back with anouther row of cars so close that there was no room to sit between the cars.Come-on, you cant put 10 lbs. of stuff in a 5lb. bag.:D

I've never heard of a "no smoking" rule. And, after all, this is outside you know. I am 72 and haven't smoked since 1971, but I think there should be a limit to infringement on people's rights who do smoke, and outside in the middle of an umpteen acrea showfield is, in my opinion, a place where such a rule is infringement on the peoples rights to smoke if they want to. That's just how I feel about that.

:) With all the rain Tues. and Weds. I m supprised there was any dust for the drive into the show field, I didnt see any.I too dont like the show field,but as someone else said, you have to work with what you have. I think the region done an exc. job. I just wish we could have a little more space. My car was back to back with anouther row of cars so close that there was no room to sit between the cars.Come-on, you cant put 10 lbs. of stuff in a 5lb. bag.:D

windjamer, you are not alone in your concern about the lack of space on the show field. I heard SEVERAL other car owners express those same concerns. Unfortunately, there is only so much space on the show field at Hershey. Hershey Region has basically two choices. First, accept all registrations regardless of the number and pack the vehicles. The Second option involves limiting the number of registrations to a number of cars that would provide for more space around the cars on the show field. Both of these options come with their pros & cons. There is a third option but that involves a lot of logistics and work for Hershey Region which I am sure they would not be interested in doing.

Regarding smoking on the show field. I am all for not infringing on smoker's rights. However, I have seen on MORE THAN ONE OCCASION the interior of a show car DAMAGED (ie BURNED) by flying ashes from cigarettes & cigars of careless smokers (at non AACA Events). When that does happen, things get VERY UGLY between the Car Owner, the Smoker and for the Show Officials. If damage to a show car can be prevented I am all for a No Smoking Policy on the show field.

BTW, I have attended events where the field where the shows took place were VERY, VERY DRY. I often thought what would happen if a smoker's cigarette/cigar butt started the dry grass on fire. Getting 100s of show cars and tens of 1000s of spectators off of a field with a grass fire would be a disaster. One more thing to think about in a discussion about rights and responsibilities.

BTW, I have attended events where the field where the shows took place were VERY, VERY DRY. I often thought what would happen if a smoker's cigarette/cigar butt started the dry grass on fire. Getting 100s of show cars and tens of 1000s of spectators off of a field with a grass fire would be a disaster. One more thing to think about in a discussion about rights and responsibilities.

One positive thought, at least there would be LOTS of fire extinguishers nearby to put out a fire.

I have a question that is nagging at me a bit regarding Hershey, would like other opinions.

I love the Hershey meet and have always seen it as the mecca of all car events, as most of us here do also. But I have noticed over the last few years that it has become sort of marginalized outside the AACA and the east coast. Other hobbyists and old car fans seem not to know about Hershey anymore and I would like to hear if our readers here west of Pennsylvania see the same thing in their old car friends.

For example, I have long been critical of the Barrett-Jackson TV Auctions and their impact on the collector car hobby. They started boasting that they are the "World's Greatest Collector Car Event," which I cannot understand. But in the midwest FAR more people are interested in them than Hershey. Hershey never gets the attention I would expect on any cable TV or car-oriented radio and podcasts. Barry Meguiar of "Car Crazy" showed up once and I do not ever recall Dennis Gage, and they should be at Hershey every year. My radio broadcasts all covered Pebble Beach and a few at the Auburn auctions, but not Hershey. Later they will all cover SEMA and then the auctions, but Hershey is ignored. Why is this?

I can appreciate that while in attendance it may seem no additional publicity is necessary or even desirable, but I wonder if anyone else sees this in their area? Or sees it as a future problem? Thanks, Todd C

Guest windjamer

:)Todd there are three reasons for the lack of exposure outside of Hershey. They are advertisement advertisement and advertisement. When I first bought the wifes Chevelle I had never heard of a car show. A friend told me to take it to his clubs show (Iroquois Region) and after that my B/inlaw introduced me to Hershey. At your next show, ask how many entrents belong to AACA. I bet less than a thired,thats why EVERY car entered should be given an applacation and a invitation come to a meetingjust to see what where all about:D

:)Todd there are three reasons for the lack of exposure outside of Hershey. They are advertisement advertisement and advertisement.

Well, that was one thing that came to mind. I do not recall seeing advertising in magazines lately.

I was lucky that there were a few active members in our area that wanted to start a regional chapter. But even then new members are not really aware of the activities in Hershey.

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

Well, we are working on it guys. It is a shame we cannot get more coverage but all the major magazines are here. Dennis Gage has been here and other TV shows as well. There are a lot of issues involved here but all I can tell you it is our goal to get more exposure of all AACA events. We have a staff member Adrianna Bruno and a board of directors that are concerned as well. What we won't do is waste our members money with advertising that does not get us some return. Stay tuned...heck even the NY Times was here so there is more coverage than you think. However, there is not enough and we know it. AACA is still the best kept secret even after 75 years!

I have a few theories.

Even though the car show is over 1200 cars, they are all stock. TV viewers want to see things that have huge blowers, 22 inch wheels, and goofy paint jobs. Stock brass era cars simply do not get the TV audience.

Same with the car corral, cars are all stock and change hands quietly, if at all. There is nobody running and jumping into a car hollering "It's mine!" or 2 or 3 guys hollering at each other and outbidding each other. It makes for zero drama, viewers want drama, real or fake (and they usually can't tell the difference).

The meet is mostly the swap meet, which showing aisle after aisle of parts, also does not make for exciting TV.

Location. Hershey is pretty much by itself. Unlike California or Chicago where filming is an industry, and there are plenty of shows in those areas.

It just does not get much advertisement outside the East coast. Same as Iola and Auburn are well known in the midwest, but probably not so much on either coast.