34 Exhaust Manifold Question

buick840

I'm currently replacing the inlet/exhaust maifold gaskets on my 34 8/40.

I believe they didn't have gaskets when new as the machined surfaces were nice and smooth and fitted tightly so as not to need gaskets but this car has had gaskets for some years now.

Anyway my question is ........I have new gaskets and will be using them but is there a need for a sealant on each surface (manifold and head) when using proper heat resistant gaskets or is it best to fit them dry?

Thanks for reading:)

post-41557-143138322753_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

I agree is seems like good insurance....unless someone else can indicate a reason not to?

Another question I have is............. after I've disassembled the exhaust manifold and hot box to reseal and paint them is.............in the gasket set I have there is the triangle shaped gasket to fit the hot box back onto the exhaust manifold but there are no other gaskets the right shape to fit between the top of the hotbox/exhaust maniflold and the inlet manifold.

I can make one from gasket material I have but is there usually one of those in the set or not?

And lastly......... is there a supplier for the thick 1/2 inch gasket/spacer between the carby and the intake manifoild?

And lastly......... is there a supplier for the thick 1/2 inch gasket/spacer between the carby and the intake manifoild?

Brian,

Bobs Automobilia supplies them in either 7/16" or 7/8".

Don't forget if your setup doesn't have one at the moment to put one in you will need longer studs and it also alters the cold idle control