Gas Tank Gauge - Mechanical

D Bosco

I am restoring a 1923 Kissel gas tank. It is mounted on the rear of the car and has a mechanical gas level gauge. My gauge is rusted solid, and cannot be repaired. VAPINC.COM had NOS gauges made by Motometer which are a good subsitute, but he is sold out. Any ideas who may have such parts or solution for me?

Thanks

Don

don@tallcoil.com

917 957-1855

• 1 year later...

Try using electrolysis, you will be amazed at how fast it will take off the rust that is binding the unit.

I have just used this method on a 21 Dodge and a 26 Chrysler .

As long the rust hasn't made to many large pits you should be able to free it up.

Electrolysis will also take any paint off so if you have a good face plate or needle do not submerge it that far.

Don, Here's a set of photo's of my '25 Dodge brothers fuel gauge. The $ bill is for size gauge. This unit looked like a burned up bean burrito when I pulled it from my tank. I was sure this was history and would be needing a replacement. Instead, I soaked it in a container of Evapo-rust overnight. A quick restoring of the faceplate and a new synthetic float where the old cork was and I'm back in business. Myers Early Dodge parts sold me the new float and gaskets, OK. This little gauge can be fabricated in a small shop, at home. Myers Dodge also has the little brass gears as seen in my photo's, but these are the originals here and work fine. Maybe this unit would fit the Kissel?

post-84109-143142296556_thumb.jpg

post-84109-143142296576_thumb.jpg

post-84109-143142296591_thumb.jpg

post-84109-143142296606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest orphancars

I need some info. about a tank gas gauge. I don't think the manufacture of this car made gas tanks. Hope the same jobber made them for other makes. The tank size is 26 1/2" X 12" dia. The hole dia. is 1 5/16" threaded. This tank was used on 1914-16 Jefferys. Does anyone know of a gas tank gauge that would fit. In case of a cross reference, my parts book shows part# as 68D200A. My tank is good but the gauge was removed by a previous owner and subbed with a cork. Can't check fuel level as the filler hole is offset. Can't even stick it.