1930 Chrysler 5 Window RS Coupe ?

Sorry if this has been discussed here before but I've done a search and can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for. Can someone tell me if Chrysler made a 1929 or a 1930 5 window rumble seat coupe ?

Production numbers, as well as serial number and engine number ranges are what im trying to figure out. I know I seen it somewhere before but I can't seem to locate that information again.

Anyone ?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Bttt

This is the greatest site by the way, incredible amount of information and knowledge available on here.

The reason for my questions in my previous post is this:

Im looking at purchasing a 5 window 29 or 30 coupe not sure what year it is yet (and never knew they even made a 5 window, just want to make sure it's legit) but the engine and tranny are out of the car and I just wanted to make sure everything adds up before I purchase this vehicle.

The engine number is P 323861 and the block has a number of 46294. Can anyone confirm if this engine is correct for the 29 ? It's really throwing me because the dash looks like a 30 but the serial # on the dash on the Chrysler badge says DC 4D. The owner says the carb is a Stromberg U-2 and if I recall that's the correct carb and is difficult to find. Just wondering if that is the correct carb as well ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback

Bob ,

It helps but also creates some questions though. So the 5 window coupe and Royal coupe are one in the same ? The reason I ask is because according to the following link to the WPC News Volume 14 Number 3 from November 1982 on page 18 it states that 7,603 Royal Coupes were produced and for Business Coupes it shows that 4,655 were produced but it doesn't show a 5 window listed.

1929 Chrysler Series 65 Information

im curious where you found that information ?

Again I apologize for my ignorance on this topic as I'm just beginning to learn about Chryslers in the last few years.

hwellens , thanks for the input. Did you happen to find a high low range you can refer me to by chance ? The only thing I could find was that the engine serial number started with P 1750001 but it didn't give me a high range to verify if the engine im looking at fits into that year.

Thanks again, this is very helpful

Spent the day researching information at the library and other resources.

Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful and much appreciated.

I'm still curious what the criteria is for a Royal Coupe, why and what makes it Royal ? Was it the paint scheme, accessories, rumble seat or just the simple fact that it had 5 windows ?

Where did you get info that Model 65 had a Royal coupe? I thought they were started with the 1930 models. Model 65 came in 2 coupes: Business (3 window with trunk) and Rumble Seat that had 5 windows.

Where did you get info that Model 65 had a Royal coupe? I thought they were started with the 1930 models. Model 65 came in 2 coupes: Business (3 window with trunk) and Rumble Seat that had 5 windows.

Page 18 on this link:

1929 Chrysler Series 65 Information

On page 18 it shows 7,603 Royal Coupes, and 4,655 Business Coupes. It doesn't show 5 Window RS Coupe. Still just trying to find out what defines a Royal Coupe ?

About the engine number:

The source that I found the information in was "Stantard guide to cars and prices, prices for collector cars 6th edition 1901-1986 by James T. Lenzke and Ken Buttolph editors"

the engine number doesn't seem to match up according to what info I found. The engine ranges start with P 1750001 - and end with P 241336 according to that source.

the car im looking at purchasing has a number of P 328961 so it doesn't seem to fit into the range.

Can anyone confirm this ? Sorry I don't have the source book with me because I copied the info when I was at the library yesterday it said "reference book only" so they wouldn't let me rent it.

I don't know where that chart came from you refered to. If you look at page 4 of that same article you posted it states the body styles for model 65. No royal coupe is listed. Only business coupe and rumble seat coupe.

I don't know where that chart came from you refered to. If you look at page 4 of that same article you posted it states the body styles for model 65. No royal coupe is listed. Only business coupe and rumble seat coupe.

I guess im just wondering why the rumble seat is called a Royal Coupe on page 18 of that same article ? Seems to me the info is contradicting itself but I know it's just a matter of what Chrysler labeled things, just trying to find out why they had different labels for the same vehicle. I now know the Royal and the 5 window are the same but just trying to understand what the "royal" means.

It came from an article by the WPC News Volume 14 Number 3 Issued Nov 1982 and I came across the article by doing a search for "1929 Chrysler 5 window coupe".

• 5 months later...
Guest tgresto54

I have info on Chrysler Corp paperwork that there were 1000 5 window Model 75 5 window coupe built in 1929. This came out of Chrysler archive in Highland Parks basements when the did not have anyone controlling the items in storage. I have many confidential dealership bulitins onand bluprint copies on the 29 model 75 as I owned 2 3 window coupes at the time and had acsess to Highland Park

Guest 1929model75

Sir are you saying this is what they call the 5 window or was there another version of the 75 . I have an original sales book and the one pictured above is called 5 passenger the only 5 window is the 65. I agree this one has 5 windows but in my opinion i would consider it to be more a victoria

Guest tgresto54

I will see if I can dig up the paper. Its stored with many other info I have. I have owned 2 29 Model 75 R/S coupes 1 of which was a Cabroliet which approx 75 were built and the only info I have seen on that is the confidential dealer paperwork I have plus an old deceased aqauaintance who worked on the line building them. Living only a few miles from the old Headquaters and growing up knowing many engineers and family working there I had lots of access to info. Also working directly with the Museum including the restoration of several of thier cars

Guest 1929model75

thanks for your response any info you could pass on I would love to see. I would love the car in the pics but its in Austrailia they were asking 12 for it not sure if it was US funds or not.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LR1970

It's 12k Aust dollars. Comes with a rebuilt motor, box, diff and a Red Head. I want to know where lozrocks got the photos of my Coupe?

Leigh