Hershey 2011 on Yom Kippur

32tatra

This has happened multiple times in the past - nothing new !!

There are congregations in Harrisburg which will accommodate you, typically with a request in advance from your congregation.

Yep, I've seen Marty disappear at Hershey (hmmm, is that possible, to see someone disappear), and not because of rusty car parts. I have a much lessor problem, my wife's birthday is October 11th, and every now and then I have to choose between day of car show and wife.........I must admit, for 364 other daily reasons, I usually choose the wife.....

The difference I see here is that a wedding can be scheduled around Hershey, though I have known old car owners whose children deliberately scheduled weddings/showers etc at swap meet time.

A significant religious holiday cannot be scheduled around things like this. Glad to hear there are ways to accomodate both swap meet and high holy days.

My birthday is October 5th

I think it is great that the whole OLD CAR UNIVERSE comes to HERSHEY to help me celebrate my birthday every year !

Dinner at Funck's in Palmyra is a chance to overeat and run into hundreds of old-car friends, and then get a free banana-split for my birthday.

The last time I did not make Hershey was 1983.

My nearly-14-year-old grandson has an October 8th birthday, but cannot skip school. (We say that the fetus is considered viable when it graduates Med School.)

See y'all for my birthday !!!

Edited by Marty Roth
crs (see edit history)

In 2008, our daughter's due date was October 13. When I left for Hershey, I wasn't worried but my wife was really ticked off that I was going because she thought I should be here for the birth of our first grandchild. I was sure he wouldn't be early. Well, sure enough, he was born on the 9th - which was Thursday that year. I skipped the car show and headed home on Saturday morning. Since then, I get " but you're going to be gone for Zach's birthday". However, birthdays were always more important in my wife's family than mine so I just shrug it off. She knows I'm going to go to Hershey from now on no matter what.

Marty, I thought you asked for a birthday dessert EVERYWHERE you ate, all year 'round?!?!

Well, I'll miss your bday this year, so have a happy in advance. Will miss being with you guys, it's always so much fun....

The one thing that does hurt, not going this year due to business travel, is that my 14 year old son has been to at least 7 Hershey gatherings (and my favorite Hershey memory is me complaining about the mud, and him at 7 or 8 years old stomping through the puddles and laughing), and I'll miss taking him this year, being with him and all his fun comments and (the other shoe drops) complaining. And, watching him eat a 1 pound hamburger from Fuddruckers.....amazing.....and he's skinny....