Cigarette Lighter .... help

Roadster90

Guest Kingsley

Nic - The pertinent fuse is No. 4, 20 Amp, CIGAR, on the fuse/circuit breaker panel on the left side of the console a bit forward of the seat.

Guest Mc_Reatta

If the fuse is good I'll bet it is the power connector to the base of the lighter assembly. Had 12 v to the connector but not to the inside of the lighter socket. Need to pull the top off the console and test for power to the lighter base. If there, pull the power connector from the bottom of the lighter and check for corrosion both inside the connector and at the base of the lighter. CLean everything up well, reinstall and test. I had some corrosion around the outside ring of the lighter base keeping it from being grounded. A little hard to work on in the car but doable.

This is tough, as I no longer have my Reatta. However I had a similar problem. As I remember, if you pull out the ash tray or something else, you will find a USB type connector that has been disconnected. It's just a plug in type thing. I think it had been disconnected in mine because nobody wanted anyone smoking in mine. If anyone else can chime in about this connector, do so.

Tom T.

Guest Mc_Reatta

You sure that wasn't the ash tray light? It's in a strange looking capsule that attached to the ash tray on the outside and shines in thru a little hole in the side.

Thanks folks for the replies...I intend on looking at this situation this afternoon. I don't smoke, but need it for my Droid phone GPS function (need to keep the phone connected and charging while using the GPS for any extended amount of time)

Thanks again,

Nic

• 2 weeks later...

SILLY QUESTION...Thanks Kingley for the heads up on the fuse location....NOW can someone please tell me how to get the fuse box cover off of the left side of the tunnel without tearing up the carpet?

(This is on a 40 k car that looks like it apparently has never been removed before...)

Guest Kingsley

The cover has a flange at the top which slips underneath part of the console. The lower edge has a slight protrusion right in the center and you probably can use a finger to get underneath it and pull outward or, failing that, just use a small screwdriver and pry outward. You will be on plastic so should not be any danger of hurting anything. There are two small nibs at the bottom which have to clear so lift up a bit as you pull outward. A piece of cake!

As Kingsley says, there are two small tabs at the bottom of the cover and one large tab at the top. You need to bend the cover enough that the two small tabs raise up slightly so the cover can pop out. I find the easiest way is to go at it from the right and left sides of the cover - rather than trying to pull on the lip on the bottom.

did you find out what was wrong? Mine keeps popping the fuse as soon as I put 1 in

If it pops the fuse with the heating element plugged in, I would try another heating element.

If it pops the fuse without the element plugged in, check for a short in the recepticle, or maybe something fell inside?

• 10 months later...
Guest Squire Tom

had the console partially apart and found a dangling participle . re connected and everything is well . lighter works and Wanda's power source works fine.

• 1 month later...

Often the lighter recepticle has had liquids spilled into it and the contacts corrode.

I have revived a couple by unplugging the connection under the unit and using a pencil with a "ink" eraser. ( some older ball-point pens had this type of eraser) clean the contacts, vacumn out the hole, plug it in and it may work.

My issue was the fuse....and I still never fully addressed that issue as I was unable to get the darned cover off (the fuse box cover that is easy to get off on every car other that mine.......I have pryed to my hearts content and it won't budge and I am affraid of breaking it ). Some one else should chime in and help you with removing the cig lighter socket - good luck sir....

Nic

The FSM shows a special Kent-Moore tool for extracting the socket.

I hunted one down and cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. It's basically a 'T' shaped piece of metal that supposedly engages some hidden tabs within the socket, but like I said, I've messed with it for (cumulatively) hours with zero result.

No special tools required.

1.) remove the storage box. (Pry with pry bar, starting in the rear, then the front.)

2.) unplug the connector from the back of the lighter socket. (Gently spread the two gray tabs and pull straight off.)

3.) the lighter socket is actually two pieces - the inner socket, and an outer shell. With a finger from one hand inserted in the socket, unscrew the shell with the other hand.

Guest steveskyhawk

I have found a great source for those cigarette lighter sockets. In the back end of the console in a 90-93 Riviera there is a cig lighter for the rear seat passengers. I have seldom seen 5 year old kids in the back of Dad's Riv lighting up so these lighters are seldom used at all. They are located below the console storage compartment which is a fairly clean area as well. The only tool I have needed to take them apart is my hands.

Yeah. I got it today. Used needle nose pliers rather than a T-tool. Seemed to work fine. I removed the cigarette socket and replaced it. I also wired in a second power outlet and installed it into the center console box. I wired in a relay so that the second power outlet will turn on/off with the ignition. The first (the cigarette lighter) works as it always did--power on all the time.

I'm no mechanic or electrician, but if anyone would like details shoot me message and I can post them.

Thanks to you all for the help.