Goings on at Blacksburg!

R W Burgess

Just in from the banquet, Al. Yes, I took a bunch of pictures but I'm beat at this point. Will have them up next week.

Just one note, you guys that did not attend the banquet missed a whiz-bang ventriloqist. This gentleman had us all in stitches, then he proceeded to roast a promanant member of our club having this person "sing" to his girl.

I'll let someone else spill the beans.

There has already been,all in fun, "I'll get you guys for this!!!":eek::)

Wayne

I have a few photos from Blacksburg, but not many.... most of the photos that I took were at the banquet. I may need to hold onto them for blackmail purposes:D:D

I wonder what they may be worth to the guy?

It was a great meet! The few minutes of rain and the overcast skies kept the temperature comfortable. I have never been to a banquet quite like that one! I am still laughing....

This will give you a general idea of the entertainment...

Maybe some... Executive type... might want to tell about the night.

Holding onto the blackmail ammunition a little longer....:D

Yes, Video would be wonderful. My new Nikon D3000 can actually record video. If I had had any idea what was coming, I would have had to do some video recording, but I did not want to get too close, I did not want to become a target like Wayne did....and luckily for the victim, the light level was too low to get really good video...

But, I do have some appropriate still shots that call out for an explanation anyway.:D

You were a good sport. I don't think I would have been nearly as cooperative as you were.

I hope nothing happens to Tom Cox. There were a lot of potential witnesses who heard you tell him "You are a dead man!":D

What will they think of next?

but I did not want to get too close, I did not want to become a target like Wayne did....and luckily for the victim, the light level was too low to get really good video...

Yes the light was poor, my camera was not appropriate for the conditions, but did that stupid duck have to call me an idiot? :eek::)

Considering everything else that happened last night, I guess I should consider myself lucky. One AACA member was embarrassed by that duck when he couldn't get the meaning of the letters AACA put together correctly. At least our AACA friend didn't use that "Classic" word like the duck did.:D

Kudos to Hulon McCraw for getting the duck back. Hulon was picked on because "Mr. McCraw, did you not run out of gas this weekend, when you are supposed to be an "expert" at antique cars?"

Hulon; "No sir, my car did!"

You get him Hulon! ;)

Yes, Matt, the duck called me an idiot, but at least I wasn't put in Steve's place when his "new voice" was singing to Rachel.

"You are my sunshine......" :eek::D

What a night indeed.

Wayne

post-31395-143138277899_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys, I really was too busy judging to have time to even see all of the cars, so I do not have too many car photos. I had more time available at the banquet to take photos. I can't resist posting these two... Sorry about the low light level....

post-47089-143138277907_thumb.jpg

post-47089-143138277923_thumb.jpg

Does this girl, my wife, Gloria, remind you of the glory days of 50's-60's car at your Drive-In?

Gloria had only been to one Drive-In movie in her life. She enjoyed this one.

Wayne? Well, Wayne's a little bigger than the old days and his body does not fit into Corvette coupes for 1-2 hours. My legs were cramped and it got hot in the car. Hey, it's not what you think! The windows did not get fogged up.:D

This Night at the Movies was well executed. We were allowed to drive in the "OUT" drive way as a group. The grassed parking areas were nice and there was pavement in the driveways. No dust, no fuss. Our tickets included a meal, ice cream and the movie. What's not to like?

Here she is sitting in front of our car on a towel, looking happy.;)

Wayne

post-31395-143138277936_thumb.jpg

Sorry Wayne,

I was busy posting a couple of photos on the other thread when you were typing this....

Maybe you could move them here after you finish posting your missing photos from your last post....

Will do Matt!

Can I add something to Matt's picture of Steve above? If you notice Mr Steve Grogan's right hand, you will see a rubber glove. When Mr. Grogan put this glove on his right hand, Steve Moskowitz immediately took 5 steps to the right!:eek: :D

We all know how the ventriloquist dummy is activated, right? :P:)

You took it all in stride, Steve. I'm proud of you.

Wayne

What a great weekend on the beautiful campus of VT! It was a great weekend with a drive-in movie Friday night, a great layout for Saturday's show (complete with a no-charge car wash in the early morning). We unrolled a brand new item for meets - a "Young Peoples Choice" award, chosen by ballot. Yes, the banquet was one of the best I've seen in long time - and Steve, Hulon and Herb were gracious participants. I'd call it a superb evening. The Roanoke Valley Region can be proud of their accomplishments. Susan and I just got home a few minutes ago and will download and post some photos tomorrow. Great time!!!

Terry

Just an opportunity to take more jabs at your favorite E.D.

I know Pat's now aware of it, but there is another HPOF-certified flag pole in the AACA. However, as Pat has boastfully pointed out, his flag is bigger.

Darn right.:D:D:D

I heard that any flag less than 20 feet in length isn't a flag, and it all gets cancelled out if you don't perform the national anthem.

I wish I had been around to see Steve getting abused. I could've most likely added to the embarassment. When I was deployed in the middle east, I got Robin Williams laughing. When I e-mailed the picture of me and Robin Williams I named it "two comedians, but only one of us is funny." In either case, if I can make Robin Williams laugh, I can most likely add to the entertainment of someone else.

Tom Cox should be okay. Back in Louisville at the Roundtable Discussion Mickey Bohne was asked a question as to who the oldest member of AACA was. Needless to say when Mickey asked the question out to everyone, she got an answer that she wasn't looking for.:D:D:D

After Mickey was given the answer, I got a very stern look from a guy who owns a car named "Murphy." :D:D:D

Pat,

You really missed it, but I don't think that you could have added to his embarrasment any at all. He was a very good sport about it all. I now know why I am not an Executive Director of anything. I probably could not have taken that type of abuse without erupting!

Matt, ah it was no big deal. Look, the guy was right in the end. Laughter is a great antidote for a lot of things. Seeing everyone laugh so much was great medicine for me. I may be thin skinned at times about people doing wrong things or damaging AACA but I do not take myself very seriously.

I am proud of my job within AACA but I many times introduce myself as the head janitor. This was an opportunity for me to show another side of myself that the majority of people never get to see as I am usually under a lot of pressure in public. In the end, I think it worked for everyone but if I hear of another meet where they will have a comedian...I will be hiding!

Steve,

I still have my family and local AACA members laughing when I tell them about that banquet in Blacksburg.

Are you going to be at our tour in Wilmington next May? I have a great idea for the banquet if you are going to be there.