Drive shaft HELP!

Guest Badfella

Guest Badfella

OK, so I took the drive shaft out if my 1964 Riviera and seperated the two halves. My major problem is that I didn't mark how far the splines went in! Does anyone know how far in they should go when put back together? Many thanks in advance!!

Guest Gee_Rydes

I think the service manual says slip it in the trans, then bolt it on the rear. Bury the yoke and then pull the front slip yoke out of the trans by about 1/2 inch. Once you have that done, you can now bolt the center support bearing into the frame in the correct spot. The slip is where the shafts come together rather than one piece units that just slip in and out of the trans.

Guest Badfella

I loosened the big 1" nut next to the driveshaft support and then pulled the rear shaft splines out. Was that necessary or will the two halves seperate regardless? If not, what's the method for obtaining correct length and then tightening that nut once it's in the tunnel. Also, does the rear flange need to go back on in the exact same position? Shoulda' done more marking:(

Guest Gee_Rydes

You might need a rear end expert to answer that, but that bolt tightens down a crush sleeve that needs to be properly set. You may have caused a bit more trouble than you needed too on this one. There are 4 bolts that surround that large nut and once those come out, the flange on the driveshaft comes away from the flange on the pinion gear (large nut). There is a large hole in the driveshaft flange and it surrounds that nut, rather than the nut holding it on.

As far as reinstalling that nut, I have to defer to someone with more rear end knowledge.

Once that nut and flange are back in, you can use the previous directions for reinstalling the entire driveline. Slip it in the trans. loosely install the 2 bolts for the center bearing, and install the 4 rear flange bolts in tight. Then set your 1/2 inch up front, and tighten down the 2 center bolts.

Guest donhess64rivi

how did you pull the drive shaft im having to take a drive shaft from a 1965 rivi and put in a 64 rivi due to engine swaps. just cant get the drive shaft to seperate from the rear end.

Guest Badfella

There should be some extra holes (Aside from the bolt holes) that you can put a punch or big screwdriver through and wack it. I sprayed it all down with PB Blaster ans let it soak then hit it through the holes and chiseled the screwdriver between the flanges. Pain in the ass!

Also, the 1" nut I was referring to is the one that's near the center bearing support. DOes it actually hold the splines from the rear shaft at a certain point or do they slide in and out with movement?

Guest Gee_Rydes

I do not know what 1" nut you are talking about now. I was mistakenly thinking you removed the nut from the pinion gear on the rear end.

I've had my shaft out couple times, but I sent it away to have it rebuilt so your question may be involving something I didn't get into.

My apologies for misinformation.

There should be some extra holes (Aside from the bolt holes) that you can put a punch or big screwdriver through and wack it. I sprayed it all down with PB Blaster ans let it soak then hit it through the holes and chiseled the screwdriver between the flanges. Pain in the ass!

Also, the 1" nut I was referring to is the one that's near the center bearing support. DOes it actually hold the splines from the rear shaft at a certain point or do they slide in and out with movement?

They slide in and out.

Here's the deal:

You have a 2 piece drive shaft with a fixed carrier bearing in the middle. When you install the front part into the transmission (splines) and bolt in the support bracket for the center bearing, you lock down where the front splines fall inside the transmission. That end is splines so that each car can vary slightly in the distance from center bearing to tranny.

The rear half of the shaft slides in and out of the front half on splines also. You slip it in/out until the mounting flange attaches to the pinion. The splines on the front of this half also allow the rear drive shaft half to go in and out of the front shaft a bit as the axle goes up and down. It can't be a solid system, it needs some ability to slip.

Neither slip joints get locked. On a '63 there is a large nut that limits how far out the rear half can go, but it does not lock anything down. I don't know about '64.

Look in the shop manual exploded diagram.

Guest Badfella

Thanks for all the help guys! I've got the rebuilt shaft back in the car and have road tested it. MAJOR difference, let me tell you! No more grinding and vibrations. The support housing fell apart in my hands after removal. All the joints/CV were in perfect shape so I had the bearing pressed into the new housing and the shaft balanced. This website was really nice to have available during the job!