new to you..1936 olds parts &help needed

Guest mnmike

Guest mnmike

i found your site 2 days ago and was thinking wow what a site,and poeple that have older cars and even older problems to go with...i tryed to find someone local to help me get this olds going and couldn,t even find anybody that could set points(or would try to set points).so this might be a little learning i,ll be needing help with.i have no spark and i really don,t have a clue.i turned on the ignition and it turns over ,checked coil power and have no power.well where do i start?

What might work is to go down to your local high school shop teacher's house and ask him. Surely there is SOMEONE in your neighborhood who is old like us and knows something about early tune ups. You should go directly to your ebay or craigslist and look for a shop manual for the exact model you have and go from there. It will have all of the information that you need to fix 'er up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest olcrow

may be able to help: you have got to have voltage to the points: take a small piece of paper install between the points: take your volt ohm meter check to see if you have battery voltage at the movable breaker: open point test:

now for a little lesson on the ignition system: start at the battery, to the ignition switch, coil, points, condenser-complete primary system:

secondary system: secondary coil (this is the post located on the coil, this one will BITE you be careful, to the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plug. this will complete the secondary system.

now for a little test: with the ignition switch on: remove the paper between the points, with an insulated screwdriver-coil wire disconnected holding 1/8 inch from the engine block, open and close the points with an insulated screwdriver, (this is where the coil will BITE YOU, if it does, it's too late to let go, :-(. if you have a good blue spark your ignition system should be ok) we will walk you through point setting next-hope this helps. b.

thanks for the advice,it been pretty cold here,im in minnesota....but ill through some heat on tomorrow and go out on monday and try that.i did pick up some new points if that is the problem.thanks again, mike

you should have one wire from the coil to the distributer, the other wire on the coil should go the the Ign terminal of the ignition switch, and be fed from the batt terminal to the battery with the ignition turned on,, you can also remove the wire at the distributer and put an Ohm meter from ground to the distributer, and turn the motor by hand so the points are in the closed position, and make sure you have continnuity, and then open the points with something non metal and make sure they are opening, and nothing is shorted out in the distributer, if that checks out, hook the wire back up, and you can run a jumper wire from the non grounded side of the battery directly to the ignition coil (side not connected to the distributer, and again with a non metal object open the points from closed and you should have a spark,, do not use your fingers, even the 6v side off the coil can wake you up real quick,,, if you now have spark, put the rotor and cap back on and it should start

well i had a chance to get things warmed up and checked the ignition system out.no power to the coil so i started looking around under the dash now i will probley be needing a few electrical drawings cause it don,t look to promising under there........theres been a real good cold snap come through yesterday so i,m going to shift gears and maybe go do some ice fishin...supose to warm up next week so i try to make sence out of this wireing diagram if the fish arn,t bitting.so thanks for all the help so far and if theres someone with a simple diagram out there and wouldn,t mind posting it or a drawing to help out i,m OK with simple..:)the main wires don,t look to bad but lites,gauges,heater and that kinda stuff will need work.thanks again, mike