What is Next For The Landau?

Having "wowed" Ames by winning the Gold Senior Award and Mayor's Choice Award, the Motorama Masterpiece 1954 Buick Landau now turns her sights onto Blacksburg, VA., to compete in a regional AACA meet beginning August 12, 2010, hoping to take home an AACA Senior Award. If you are in the area go cheer her on at that time. If that happens she will then be eligible for "Car of the Year"! She will not be only representing Buick, but our club, the hobby, and Dream Cars of the Motoramas as well. She will have one other plus to carry her through-the DNA of Mr. Earl. What is my interest in her you may ask? I spent many a night with her at our local Car Museum guarding her, I kept her cups and thermos in my bedroom until they could be joined up with her-in short she is part of me and all I love about our great hobby. In tribute I will have Carla post 2 pictures of her in her Motorama days when she appeared at the Dinner Key Auditorium in Miami, Florida. Those will be coming up in the next post. Charles D. Barnette

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

Roy, it looks to me like it is more of the same steel tubing that the ramps are made out of...of course, I could be wrong.

It was a lot of fun hanging with MrEarl, meeting Progoofoff, and spending some time with the Landau. I have a number of photos of the car and my family members in it.

When the car drove up, one of the fellows I was sitting with commented that this was the one Motorama show car that he never really cared for, but seeing it in person rather than in photographs, his opinion changed.

As a continuing tribute to the Landau here is a photo circa 1961 showing on the left side Robert K. Blair (son of the Buick executive, Robert F. Blair, who saved the Landau from any possible GM destruction orders) and on the right side Mr. Blair's Uncle both celebrating the joy of being in the Landau using the same cups and thermos that would have been used by General Motor's CEO. Notice the Connecticut license plate where the Blairs were living at the time the photo was taken. Charles D. Barnette

post-55788-143138270868_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Bob, I can respect that. How 'bout I give you Robert Blair's information and you can pass it on to the new owner. Robert has some photos and a display he made showing his father and his efforts in saving it. I can't think of a better place for that stuff than in a museum next to the Landau. And I can't imagine the new owner not wanting to talk to Robert about it. The article I wrote on the incredible Landau being reunited with the original thermos set is in the March 2009 edition of the Bugle. The late Charles Barnette is still smiling about this.

And I'm on I 85 on my way to see my good friend Bob and to bid the lady farewell. :- (

Sent from my iPhone

Lamar, take plenty of photos please.

Sad indeed in all aspects, that Bob is no longer the owner and I fear we may not see the Landau for many, many years.

Tucked away in a private Musuem.

In my view Bob was the best caretaker for the Landau, but I can understand for what ever reason his wishing to sell.

The question on the minds of all of us I'm sure .. What's in store for the rest of his cars?

Roy,

Good Idea......

I have Robert`s email address and will notify him.

Dave,

All cars are for sale. I turned 80 last month and no longer able to care for them properly.

Thank you Bob for the info. We all wish you the best.

Enjoy Lamar's visit. He's a good guy and a great Buick fan.

Roy,

I have emailed Robert K with the information.

To all Buick lovers,

The Landau is going to Cars of Yesteryears, Inc in Metaririe, LA.

It is a private museum that is only open a few times a year to car clubs, social events, etc.

Bob

Thank you Bob for the info.

Please do not be a stranger to the Buick shows.

That's a great private museum, owner Henry Shane has been collecting cars for a long time...when I lived in Metairie in the late '70's, he built his museum (assume in the same place) with a facade that looks like an apartment building, so driving down the street you'd never know it was there....neat place, a good home for the Landau...

That's a great private museum, owner Henry Shane has been collecting cars for a long time...when I lived in Metairie in the late '70's, he built his museum (assume in the same place) with a facade that looks like an apartment building, so driving down the street you'd never know it was there....neat place, a good home for the Landau...

With a little searching on the internet I came across a photo of the new owners of the Landau.

Henry Shane and his wife Pat.

His car collection is huge.

It looks like the Landau will be in a good home.

Bob made a good choice.

10344059-standard.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Thanks, Bob, for being a great caretaker of the Landau and sharing it with others! Looks like the Landau will have a continued "happy ending".

The Historic Vehicle Association email I got the other day had an article on GM "Dream Cars" of Cadillac, Pontiac, and Olds. When I saw the Pontiac Pariessene, it looked like it might have been a companion car to the Buick Landau. The Landau looks much better.

NTX5467