1966-1970 Frame Diagram needed

X-Frame

Does anyone have a good quality scan available of the Frame diagram with dimensions showing the 1966-1970 Rivirea? Believe all are identical for all of those years?

I found one online in a scanned shop manual but a page bled through so the frame page is messed up and hard to read. Maybe better from a Motor's Crash Book?

Thanks!

Eric

The '66 would have had a different engine/transmission set up in it. Don't know what differences that might make in what you're looking for.

From what I can tell, that doesn't affect the frame itself. Maybe different motor mounts not part of the physical frame but the frame seems to be identical for 1966, 1967, and 1969 so I am assuming 1966-1970 are all the same with same dimensions? Can someone confirm and provide scans for me? Thanks!

I know the 1963-1965 is different and if someone can also provide a scan of this frame too I would greatly appreciate it.

From Shop Manual (Frame or Body Mount section) or Motor's Crash Book sheets.

Guest lemmy-67

The 1970 Riviera did not use the cruciform frame from the 1963-1969 years. That year, the body was bolted to a shortened Electra chassis.

1967-1969 used the Wildcat motor and ST400 transmission, so those 3 years should be the same. 1969 had revised steering linkage, electric fuel punp and optional disc brakes, but I think that was the only major difference.

The 1970 Riviera did not use the cruciform frame from the 1963-1969 years. That year, the body was bolted to a shortened Electra chassis.

1967-1969 used the Wildcat motor and ST400 transmission, so those 3 years should be the same. 1969 had revised steering linkage, electric fuel punp and optional disc brakes, but I think that was the only major difference.

You are wrong. Riviera didn't go back to a perimiter ladder style frame until 1971 with the boattail model. The 1966-1970 frames are identical tubular cruciform. (1963-1965 are a variable) Electra dropped the X frame in 1965.

Eric

Unfortunately, people seem to overlook the 1970 model since it did look a bit different than the other 1963-1970 body. The 1970 Riviera was also the only year that had Fender Skirts. I think it's more bulky look especially with the skirts tends to group it with the Electra though they shared nothing.

The frame design used on these Riviera's was called a tubular x-frame and was originally designed for the 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham but a variation was later decided to be used on all Cadillac's for '57. Other GM cars adopted it as well but Buick didn't until 1961 (Buick had a X-Frame with side rails through 1958 and went to a K design for 1959-60) then dropped it all together in 1965 for full size models. All Riviera's between 1963-70 had the tubular X and was the last US car (other than Checker Motor's Taxi's) to use a X style frame. In 1971 Riviera was completely restyled with the boat tail and the frame went to a traditional box perimeter.

Also, I think the '71 Boat Tail first year is often confused.

A little more history lesson :D

Eric

Guest lemmy-67
FYI: lemmy-67

Not to hijack this thread, but to further enhance your knowledge of Rivieras.

'68 was the first year for the disc brake option ! :)

Thank you for the helpful clarification. My apologies for any confusion.