1922 Studebaker Special Six

Well, as they say, be careful what you wish for, you may get it. From the time I found out about the Studebaker touring car my grandfather had, I wanted one. A man here in town had one, and when I was about 15 or so, I saw it. I wanted it from that moment. Time went on, and no Studebaker. I've seen them for sale along the way, and always wanted the cars, but, they were too much or too far away. When this one came up, a friend told me to go for it, and encouraged me to get it... Well he's still my friend, although, I wish he hadn't encouraged me so much.

I got the car out of California, and should have had someone to look at it. Of course, all the seller could tell me was how good the car was... so much for truth in antique car sales.... I'll let you know more about things when I find out for sure.

For now, here are pictures of the car....

post-48053-143138264333_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138264349_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138264363_thumb.jpg

B, his name is Jim, and he has a 23 Big Six, 24 Big Six, 25 Country Coupe and 29 President Roadster as well as some modern Studebakers. I will send you a private reply with his contact information. I know Jim is on forum at times so he may respond directly.

Well, the motor is out and at the rebuilders. I will hopefully know more in the next week or two. He is retired, and works as he feels like it, so, he's not one to be rushed. Here are some more pictures.

post-48053-14313826751_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138267525_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138267539_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138267553_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138267565_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138267575_thumb.jpg

Don, the way it looks, I've got a cracked block. I'll know more when the motor man tears everything apart. He is not in favor of rebuilding a motor with a cracked block....got a '22 Stude block laying around?...B

Guest stude8

The owner of the Black Big Six touring is Jim Heinsohn from Huntley, IL. He showed the car Sunday at Union, IL Illinois Railroad Museum annual car show. You can see several detail photos of it in this photo link:

http://imageevent.com/donandgisela/2010transportextravaganzairm?z=4&c=5&n=1&m=-1&w=4&x=0&p=0

Jim has a pretty fine collection of 1920's Studebakers besides the Big Six.

Stude8

Ouch, that does hurt. I have no personal experience but I have seen a few posts on these forums regarding repairing a cracked block or heads, try a search. Of course that might be an expensive crapshoot. Unfortunately I can't help with a replacement block but I'll bet there is someone on here who can, try a "wanted' post in Buy and Sell. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've not been sitting idle.. the fenders are all off the car. I went to the sandblasters today, and he wasn't home...went to the motor rebuilder, since he's just down the road from the sandblaster, and he wasn't home.. just not my day for getting up with people, but, at least I have the fenders off and ready to go.

You can see the welting/belting between the fenders and body... very coarse and thick stuff....B

post-48053-143138282174_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138282188_thumb.jpg

When I first got the Studebaker, there seemed to be very little front leg room. It was quite uncomfortable trying to use the clutch and brake. Well, in removing the lovely faux leather upholstery, there was an inch or move of foam under this stuff.. hello legroom... Whomever did the present upholstery was very generous with the use of foam rubber. Parts of the original leather is still there, but not very much, I'm sorry to say.

One bright note was my surprise under the front seat. I had asked the previous owner about a handcrank, and they said there was none... well.. guess what ....See what I found wraped in a towel under the front seat....

post-48053-14313828938_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138289391_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138289399_thumb.jpg

On Thursday, Sept. 3, I carried the wheels and tires to the tire guy to have the tires removed from the wheels. I picked them up on Friday morning.

The previous owner had used duct tape instead of buying the rubber tube liners. Now, talk about a mess, you can just imagine!!!

The pile of duct tape is from just one wheel. You can imagine how my Friday was spent. When I had all the tape removed, I carried them to the sandblaster.

I had a chance to talk to an upholsterer here in town who is really good, and he said he'd help me with the car... which was certainly good news.... I'll of course be laboring on labor day.....B

post-48053-143138295778_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138295797_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken off the two front doors and started stripping them. The splash aprons are off, and at the sandblasters along with the top irons, and other things previously mentioned.

I've pretty much loosed up all the old upholstery, and I found some of the original upholstery is underneath for patterns. I've removed most of the old tacks, and will try to get all that I can out and fill the holes with the Kwik-Poly.

The person that painted the car last did not remove the fenders, splash aprons, or upholstery. Everything had a shadow of the blue paint on it.... What can you say for high class work??????...B

The motor rebuilder called and I went by there today..(Sept., 16) I'm enclosing a few pictures. He had everything apart, and in a few days will start cleaning everything, and checking to see if there is a crack, or what....B

post-48053-143138305143_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138305156_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138305167_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138305183_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138305198_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, even though there have been no posts lately, things have been going on. The fenders, splash aprons, and wheels have been blasted clean, and today went to the body shop for some touching up. Nothing major wrong with any of them, but, there were a few knocks which needed to be fixed. I have the wheels here, and I've started doing the little cleaning that the blasting missed. just small areas here and there.. I'm also starting with the primer to protect them.

The motor is all apart, and ready to be dipped in the vats for cleaning. I will have to have a new timing gear made, it looks like. I checked with Egge, and they don't have one. There are several good machinists around here, so, I'll be checking with them to see if they can do it. The original is (I think) bakelite, and has a steel center. What should I get the new one made from? brass, bronze, aluminum, or cold rolled steel....or????

While I'm getting the timing gear made...anyone else need one?

It's getting there....B

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bofusmosby

Great looking car "B". Looks like you're doing a great job! Maybe not now, but in time, you'll be thanking your friend for his encouragement.

Thank you.....Right now, it's more like I want to strangle him.. haha... really, even though I had not planned a restoration, sometimes, things are thrust upon us....such is life...

That's a good looking Pontiac too... drive on up and visit sometime....I can always use another pair of hands on the car....B

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's Thanksgiving Day, and I've certainly got something to be thankful for... Yesterday I found a machine shop that can cut a helical gear, so, a new timing gear is in the near future... You have no idea how many people I've talked to, and phone calls I've made looking for such a shop....B

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, with several other projects going on, I've actually been able to work on the Studebaker some. I've gotten the dash loosened, and most of the instruments out. I still have to get the ignition out. Hopefully things will progress...B

A couple of years ago took some pic's of a '24 Stude Special Six Tourer at a car show here in Sydney. Car hasn't been finished with the body coated in lanolin over the the bare metal. Current owner doesn't want to paint it, leaving it for the next owner to do so! Although not a '22 thought you might be interested.

Pic's 188 to 213 in this Picasa Album - https://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/LinnwoodHouseAmericanIndependentSDayCarDisplay#

Mal, yes, I enjoyed the pictures of the '24. The cars are very similar.

Bernie, bless your heart.. what would you be able to do if you had a huge shop. I hope I get to try it one day!!!..B

There must be a lot of these Studebakers about. I recently saw this one on a recent visit to south east Gippsland (Victoria Australia). I believe that it could be for sale for not a lot of money. I just wish I had seen it before I bought the Packard. If you would like to contact the owners the Maffra Shed has its own web-site www.gippslandvehiclecollection.org.au

Bernie J

post-51681-143138536333_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138536341_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

As can be seen in the snow pictures above, the Studebaker was housed under a blue tarp. One day, I looked out and it was torn in half. I knew something had to be done. Since I'm severely landlocked, I decided the only way to go with more garage room was on the back. I had to take the present garage partially apart in order to accomplish this. It's been a slow process, and since we've been in the big heatwave, progress has slowed even more..along with some medical problems.

Along with the new addition, the garage is getting new and more powerful electrics also. Before when I had all the lights on and turned the fans on, the lights dimmed. With the new breaker box and larger wire, this should end.

As you can see, there's still work to be done, but, ever so slowly, it's getting done... B

post-48053-143138629613_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143138629629_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

Well B, I can really relate to what you are doing! For the last 3-4 months, I have been rebuilding my 100 year old garage as well. Even though its actually an old carriage house, I should be able to squeeze my Pontiac in there. I've still got to re-wire the electrical, and replace the doors, but other than that, mine is complete. What a job though!