Blacksburg meet pt 2

Guest quadfins

Guest quadfins

I'll be driving BATILAC to Blacksburg, arriving Thursday evening. I am bringing my daughter, and it will be her first AACA meet. Does anyone know if there will be any kid-friendly activities?

We'll be stopping by Appomattox and Bedford along the way. I hope others amonst us will consider visiting the D-Day memorial during your journey.

See you there.

Jim Eccleston

1961 Coupe de Ville

BATILAC

It has been pretty quiet here on the forums regarding this meet in Blacksburg.

I have registered my VW for this meet. Barring any last minute family or work emergencies my brother and I will be attending this meet. We look forward to the museum tours and to meeting seeing some other AACA members and members from this forum.

BTW, I checked out the map of the Virginia Tech area on-line. Given all the parking lot space, this event looks like the trailer & RV parking could potentially be right next to the show field. Also looks like the host hotel is within walking distance of the various parking lots.

Anyone have any idea how many cars are registered for the show on Saturday? I received my registration confirmation late last week. Kudos to the registration chairperson for processing my registration so quickly.

So, who else is schedule to attend this meet and what are you bringing and/or doing at the meet?

Guest mikehowl

I'll be bringing my model A up on thursday, if no problems between now and then. i have to go to nashville to pick up a new trailer first then back to fla to load up.

Mike

371 registered as of today

Steve, Thanks for the info. I get the feeling that there might be a few more last minute registrations being processed once the USPS delivers registrations mailed late last week or over last weekend.

Bill and I will be there to judge, along with our long time friend Rodger Woodrum. Both of his sons are Virginia Tech graduates.

Susan, do Roger's son's have any inside info on places to visit, eat, etc in the Blacksburg area?

.....Susan, do Roger's son's have any inside info on places to visit, eat, etc in the Blacksburg area?

I will send you a PM with Rodger's e-mail address. He lives in Virginia. You can check with him. One son lives in New York City now and one in Oak Hill, W. Va. so they don't live local to him anymore.

Guest quadfins

Vivian is excited about the "Kids Choice" award. Any idea what the other activities might be? I saw the note in the tri-fold, but was wondering about the details.

We return from California tomorrow, with enough time to clean the car, re-pack, and leave for Blacksburg Thursday.

Jim

Guest 70 Electra

Wish I could make it to THIS meet....as a VA Tech grad, I can tell everyone, it is one of the prettiest places in the country to visit.

Wouldn't you know it, I will be there exactly one month AFTER the meet.....bummer!

Guest 36chev

Is the show field still going to be around the VA Tech Drill Field as indicated on the brochure?

A local (to Blacksburg) Model A club is saying that the show has been moved to another area. Which is true?

Thanks!

Guest quadfins

Steve, do you know specifically where the new field is? This could make a difference in my hotel plans - if it is not too late.

Also, will you have Murphy there? I would like to show Vivian (my 9-year-old) how it all began...

Jim

Jim, Murphy will be there! I hope we get a chance to let Vivian sit in the car and honk the horn!

Don't change your plans as the field for the show is on the campus by Lane Stadium.

Where are the parking lots that are being used for car trailer parking in relation to the show field location and the host hotel where the judges breakfast is located? That info would be nice to know for judges that have a car in the show and are judging. Some judges put their car on the show field before the judge's breakfast then go to breakfast. If the show field is not within walking distance of the judge's breakfast then they will have to change their plans accordingly. This is especially true if they have no transportation from the show field to the judge's breakfast.

The location of the trailer parking might also good to know for those show car owners that have friends and family along that use the tow vehicle as transport.

Edited by charlier
blindness, lack of sleep or stupidity, take you pick (see edit history)

There is a map on the trifold. It shows where everything is located along with the description of the locations of the events. Everything is within walking distance and it is so stated in the brochure. The problem came for a few people as the show site was changed from one area to another on the same campus. There will be signs directing everyone as well once you get there. It is an always has been standard procedure to have directions/maps on tri-folds if at all possible.

Drillfield to Lane Stadium area is about a half-mile walk as I recall. You'd think I'd remember all that traipsing around the VT campus, but it was 35 years ago and I've been back only a few times since then...

Planning to come up Saturday and look around if things go well here.

There is a map on the trifold. It shows where everything is located along with the description of the locations of the events. Everything is within walking distance and it is so stated in the brochure. The problem came for a few people as the show site was changed from one area to another on the same campus. There will be signs directing everyone as well once you get there. It is an always has been standard procedure to have directions/maps on tri-folds if at all possible.

My apologies Steve.

As my mother would say, "The answer was right in front of you, do you need new glasses?".

A minor complaint about the "trifolds" for meets. Many of the maps seem to be drawn by folks with considerable local knowledge and are often almost useless to anyone new to the area. The map of the Charlotte Spring Show is a case in point. Folks...please back up a bit when you make your maps and think "If I had never been here before would this map be of any real help?".

The map on the trifold is quite simplified and easy to understand. However if you take a look at the maps on the Virginia Tech website, the campus is quite a bit more complicated, with literally hundreds of buildings shown. It's quite an eye-opening, elaborate, and complex-looking campus when one sees a true map of the place. Be prepared to be impressed when you get there!

I registered my car and am heading the the meet on Sat. morning, but I never received anything in the mail. I looked to make sure and the check I sent in with my registration back in June went through. Does anyone have a copy of the tri-fold they could scan and put on this thread? I went to VT and know the area well, but it would be nice to know where I am going on the campus so I am not riding around pulling a car trailer trying to find where it is. I have heard that the show is in one of the parking lots near Lane stadium, but where do I go with my truck/trailer to unload?

Thanks for the info! I see the tri-fold says registration until 10:30. It is going to be more like 10 minutes till 11 when I show up--will I still be able to get in at that point? A friend that is coming with me has to work at the hospital the night before, so we are leaving as soon as we can to get there from Winston-Salem.

Edited by BrianStone (see edit history)

You might want to call the meet chairman as listed on the tri-fold beforehand to let them know that you will be running late. Judging begins at 11:00, so your car really needs to be on the showfield by then.

Just got back from the Blacksburg Meet. Except for a minor sprinkling of rain as we started judging it was a very nice event. Good food to start the day off, got to visit with several folks from the forums and there were some stunning vehicles there.

To help the Team Captains, and their teams, there was an Admin. check-in set up on the show field rather than having to go all the way over to where Admin. was set up before the show field was moved.

A very nice meet all around. :)

Guest quadfins

We arrived home yesterday evening, and I am happy to say that we had a wonderful time at the meet. Vivian enjoyed the children's program, and was ESPECIALLY thrilled to be allowed to sit in Murphy and honk the horn. Thanks so much, Steve!!!

She was treated so kindly, and "adopted" by so many fine folks, that she had a delightful time at her first show, and I think that we have won a new convert!

Thanks, Roanoke Valley Region, and participants.

Susan, I am sorry that I didn't have much time to chat - you looked quite busy with the judging, and I was quite busy ogling other cars. But it was good to see you briefly. Wayne - it is alweays a pleasure to see you. I'll see youy at the Northern Neck show!

Jim Eccleston

Guest quadfins

West,

It was a pleasure chatting with you Friday afternoon, and seeing you at the "drive-by" Saturday morning. Your pic shows my "new" blonde mink stole. I've heard that blondes have more fun, so I thought I'd give it a test. I just got it last month - my mom gave it to me. How many men have mothers who buy them mink stoles for their birthdays??? Kind of a twist, but I am still explaining it to my skeptical wife.

Matt,

I alsmost got to see you at the awards banquet. When they called your name, I looked but was not quick enough to distinguish you from the others moving toward the front tables.

I hope to see you and others again soon. Bristol???

Jim

Guest planetcadillac

I saw your car Jim very nice finally in person for the first time. After reading and seeing the restoration work via CML.

Jim,

I saw your car outside of the host hotel once, but sorry I missed you. We really need to figure out a way to arrange a Discussion Forum Member get together at more meets.

I will be putting together the annual list of who will be at Hershey and where they will be in September. And like the Louisville list I will post a "printable list" that puts all the information in flea market field and show class order. :)

Hopefully with that we can get folks together even if a DFr meeting falls through, as it sometimes does. :rolleyes: