Crankcase ventilation

ralphnof49

I am thinking of restoring the original system and have found a fellow who can make the pipe, but my air cleaner has no apparent place for the pipe connection. perhaps it is from a different car. Does any one have a picture of the air cleaner connection? Perhaps I will have to find a different air cleaner. Thanks to Peecher I have a picture of the pipe in the manifold.

Here's a couple of pics of the air cleaner used on the '42 to '48 Lincolns. The port on the bottom of the air cleaner body feeds into an area separate from the oil bath and is vented into the throat of the air cleaner. One bad feature is that the area the vent tube feeds is almost impossible to thoughly clean especially if it contains hardened carbon...I spent a week shaking all those particles out of the one on my '46 that had sat for 30 years.

post-31684-143138259583_thumb.jpg

post-31684-143138259604_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peecher. It looks like the air cleaner I have is not the right one for the Lincoln because it does not have the tube connection or the pipe going through the air cleaner to the throat of the air cleaner. For now I will stick to the pcv valve I set up earlier. I will start looking for the right air cleaner or see what I could install in this one.

Guest frenchy dehoux

As we all know the V12 engine need to have a better ventillation for the crankase as we have seen on a lot of V12 the fumes are escaping by the oil cap and eventually finding his way to the inside of the cars. The small tube that is part of the oil filler tube on 1938 and 1939 and is routed to the bottom of the oil pan does a good job. On the later V12 engines 1940 to 1948 never had a good way to vent the crankase. There is a method showing that you can add this crankase venting option. I bought a couple of the 1955 to 1957 T Bird down draft tube which also has a filter buit in and is part of the oil pan and does a very good job and illiminates this fume issue from the oil cap. I am converting one of them on my 1932 Hot Rod Lincoln. As soon as I have it done I will be posting a picture of it.

Thanks

Frenchy

Guest frenchy dehoux

I would like to have someone post a picture of a later style oil pan close up of the driver side. The reason is that I am in the process adding a down draft tube same as the one on (1955 to 1957 T Bird ) with plate on the left side as shown on the diagram I received from Earl Brown. On the earlier style oil pan there is a small indentation that does not allow for this plate to sit flush. Possibly the later oil pan may be different.

Thanks !

Frenchy

Guest frenchy dehoux

I have taken pictures of the down draft tube that I will be installing on my 32 Hot Rod I will be posting them tomorrow Monday August 2nd. As well as the oil pan showing the location that the plate needs to be welded to be able to bolt on the down draft tube housing.

Frenchy

Guest frenchy dehoux

Here are a couple of pictures of the down draft tube that I will be installing on my oil pan this is the same as the 1955 to 57 T Bird. The small square plate is the part you weld on the pan to hold the main tube on.

Thanks

Frenchy

post-54855-143138268478_thumb.jpg

post-54855-14313826848_thumb.jpg

I've got one of those draft tubes and filters on a 56 312 block. filter is always plugged up, and blowby leaves puddles of oil out the tube whenever I park. Yes, the motor need a rebuild, but when I do, it will have a PCV valve!

Lincoln V-12 should do much better with a PCV valve as well. Also, a hole in the pan would be too close to the bottom, and get oil splash out the tube, or when you park on a side hill. The 312 tube is attached to a hole in the block, much higher up.

Abe

Guest raywilks

i am sure phil posted pictures 3 months back of the Y-block draft tube attached to his lincoln oil pan, an up and running car. you should be able to access that post by looking back 2-4 months.

I thought it sounded great too...til I did it...remember, a draw tube is effective at speed...a pcv or the air cleaner tube is effective as engine runs.....most antique car owners putt putt around..the air cleaner draw works on the principle that air will be drawn from path of least resistance....soooooo I installed a paper air element in my factory

silencer body, it has more resistance to draw, than the oe copper mesh...soooo, it suck lots from the tube, thus from valve chamber...

Yes the problem still remains in the crankcase..so use modern oil, change occasionally and drive the thing......You guys that put 30000 a year on the car may do something different..(trailering miles dont count)

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

The downdraft crankcase vent tube was already on my 1939 Zephyr when I got it.

I was never troubled by blow-by and the car ran great at 75 MPH (AFTER the Columbia install)!

However, I didn't drive it very much or very often - too scary on Texas freeways with Firestone 7.00:16 tires of undetermined age!

post-31768-143138273499_thumb.jpeg

Guest frenchy dehoux

Phil

Thanks for the picture of your Down draft tube. I will have mine forward of the oil pan. I found an NOS one with new filter.

Thanks !

Frenchy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest frenchy dehoux

The V12 Lincoln is know in the past to have fumes exiting from the oil cap and making there way inside the car and would fill the inside of the car. Of course the oil was a non detergent.This was recommended years ago if you were to rebuild your motor to add this down draft tube to illiminate some of this blow by. I installed mine to help relieved crankase pressure as I am running two 97 strombergs. The oil use these days is a lot better and it has detergent. I change my oil every 800 to 1,000 miles keeping the engine clean 20 / 50 Castrol.

Thanks !!!

Frenchy

Edited by frenchy dehoux (see edit history)

This seems to be an old school issue...If you read restorer lit from the 60s, they had all kinds of cobbled up vents, air pumps, draw tubes to vent the crankcase...which tends to sludge oil up with corosive by-products from engine......A legit concern over the long term, many thousands of miles.

I have found that skilled machine work, close tolerences and modern oil ( i like synthetic) make enough improvement that re-engineering the ventilation system has not been necessary for the 5000 miles or so I put on per year...I may be wrong, the hot rod guys on the left coast runnin 90 mph down the big sur may need those things but here in Ohio I think the air is better....

I had always heard old guys complain about blowby, I have seen all kinds of worn out clunkers new& old, ford/nonfords that blew out the oil breather, noxious fumes, mine did too....until I rebuilt the engine ...properly...now I change the oil every couple thousand miles or so...probably overkill...but I run it hard enough to cook out the poisons...

so far-so good...I still dont see how a road draft tube is gonna suck enough to help anything..if anything a pcv system run from engine vacuum is much better answer

Guest frenchy dehoux

With dual carburetor Edmonds intake manifold I do not have an area to add a pcv valve on this was the easiest thing to do.

Frenchy

• 1 month later...

OK Y'ALL HERE IS FOR YOU GUYS LIKE FRENCHY THAT MODIFY AND ADD ON..THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION TO THAT NASTY SLUDGEY ENVIROMENT IN THE V-12 CRANKCASE..ESPECIALLY FOR SLOW SPEED LUGGING THAT WE ALL KNOW OCCURS MORE OFTEN THAN BALLS OUT HIGH SPEED

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRAM-POWER-CRANKCASE-VENT-SYSTEM-NOS-/250714287980?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5fbc6f6c

That's a cute gizmo, but it probably would add even more "fumes" exiting the engine? The Edmunds Manifold does present a problem for a PCV system due the intake runners being isolated but a vent can be rigged up similar to the original set up to at least help induce some air flow thru the engine.

post-31684-143138331682_thumb.jpg

Guest Harry Connors

I am putting the edelbrock 2x2 intake on my car and was curious about how to hook the crankcase ventilation up as well as the actual carburetor linkage. The oil level indicator seems to be very close to the rear carburetor as well. Would it be possible to get a couple of photo's on how your's is hooked up either here or at my email. Thanks Harry

Guest frenchy dehoux

Here are a few pictures of my dual carburetor with 97 strombergs with the Edmonds manifold. Harry THANK YOU for your services in the ARMY!!!!!

Frenchy

post-54855-143138335372_thumb.jpg

post-54855-143138335376_thumb.jpg

post-54855-143138335379_thumb.jpg

post-54855-143138335383_thumb.jpg

post-54855-143138335386_thumb.jpg

post-54855-143138335389_thumb.jpg

Edited by frenchy dehoux (see edit history)

Guest frenchy dehoux

There are 3 of these P51 Mustangs here in AZ from what I was told. If I am not mistaken Ron Pratt also has one of the them and another one did crashed this past year at the Chandler air park. This weekend at the Falcon field in Mesa AZ there will be a Car Show and some of these war planes will be on display as well.

Frenchy

• 3 years later...

Not sure how old this thread is, but here it goes again. The engine I recently bought from Merv Adkins has a canister and downdraft tube welded onto the side of the pan. The engine was supposedly never run in a car since rebuilt, but I get a steady drip of oil out of the breather tube. I added a carb mounting block with vacuum takeoff and a PCV valve connected to the hole in the intake manifold, but this doesn't help. At least I don't have to worry about changing oil - just keep pouring it in. If I can't come up with a better solution I'm just going to plug up the tube. I wouldn't recommend this setup to anyone else.

I have the same setup on my 272 Y-block boat engine and it doesn't drip a drop.