Help me remember and old REO dump truck....

Guest gaitch32

Guest gaitch32

I just don't want my friends to think that I am nuts.....

We had and old one on the farm....and I don't know if it was something that was put together over the years or part of the factory trucks. I think it was before the 20's. The engine was a 4 cylinder that looked like a it was all bolted together. I remember exposed springs on top. It was a pain in the *** to start.....I usually flooded it cuz I couldn't get the "spark" right and then play with the choke, throttle and whatever other levers that I was supposed to adjust. And I remember having to check the gas tank with a stick. Although I don't know that it was because something broke or that is how you did it. I think that it had chain drive on the drivers side but I might be remembering one of the old tractors that we had too. We had a lot of old stuff including a steam tractor with big metal cleat wheels.

I do remember the bed on the truck was a hand crank to dump it. I also remember that it had solid rubber tires, which were all cracked but still there.

Tell me if it existed or "I just make crap up"

You probably couldn't be nearly as accurate if you were making this up. Thru 1919 REO used a 4 cylinder F head engine with the intake rocker arms and valve springs exposed on top. The cylinders were bolted to the crankcase. Manual spark advance lever added to the throttle and choke gave more levers than we have now! Yes hand cranked dump beds gave the driver lots of exercise.

Guest cben09

There is a fellow, Fred in NewHampshire who has had dozens? of these Reo s and has worked on more,,Glenn helped drive Dons old Reo truck from south of Boston to Maine for his 50th reunion,,These engines had big covers on right side of crankcase to adjust the rod bearings,,the old hinged type,,If you need old Reo stuff pm me and i'll try to get you in contact,,,Cheers Ben

Guest gaitch32

Thanks for the answers. I knew it existed but was not sure if it did as I remember it. The thing that I was really questioned on was the engine. I knew that there were springs exposed on it and the block seemed like it was bolted together, which would be the cylinders as described.

I don't remember what happened to that truck but I know that it was still being used in the early 70's.

Thanks again.