1957 Water Pump, Oil Pump , Main Engine Vacuum Pump

buick man

I have some questions regarding 1957 Buicks.

My first question is was the stock OEM water pump cast metal or aluminum?

My second question is about the engine vacuum pump attached to the engine oil pump inside the pan. My Buick manual says that the engine vacuum pump when removed was constructed to be an integral unit and if and when it was discovered not to be working, it was intended to be simply replaced and not rebuilt. However, finding these new are right up there with finding the grail. So, can they be rebuilt and if so who rebuilds these pumps? I was told the only one rebuilding these by special method is some guy in Sweden?!?

Any input and sources for rebuilds of both the oil pump and engine vacuum pump would be cherished.

Thanks in advance.

David

Re aluminum/cast iron water pump. I've seen both. Both are painted. About the oil/vacuum pump. My advise is to forget about using the vacuum portion and just blank off the vacuum line. They are ineffective at best and are bascially just trouble waiting to happen. Unassisted engine vacuum will run the wipers fine. If you think you will be running in rain often keep a coat of rain-X on the wind shield. You won't need wipers.

A common failure with the internal pump is the seals go and it sucks oil mist into the engine. The first indication is a nice puff of blue smoke when letting off the gas. That's followed by fouled plugs...............Bob

Bhigdog has it right. The one thing that I might add is; there are aftermarket electric wiper conversions available. I have substituted a '56 Chevy electric with 2 speed in place of the vacuum motor. That is a simple adaptation and is controlled by the same method as the Buick.

Dan

Hey, thanks guys for coming forward.

I am at that point where I am going to be dropping the pan. Now the east coast Buick guys offer a service to rebuild the oil pump and the vacuum pump for around $ 290 or so. But now with your input, this has me wondering what to do. Are these vacuum pumps such pieces that it is not worth rebuilding them? If I go electric will the interior controls look the same?

Oil Pump: So instead of plating off my OEM 1957 oil pump, perhaps as I have seen here, some are using the 1959 oil pump and describe it as a 'better' unit. Why is is better than the 57 unit other than not having the vacuum unit attached to the bottom of it?

Electric Wipers: Regarding the electric conversion, could you elaborate a little more on this conversion? Where would I go to get everything I need. My main concern is I really want to keep the cockpit looking completely original and not like my high school hotrod with aftermarket switches, levers and gauges.

Any help or input would be appreciated so thanks in advance.

David

Were it me I would, in decending order:

1. Inspect and clean the pump as per shop manual.

2. If the pump passed inspection and was previously making pressure I would disable

the vac pump drive. and reinstall

3. if that were not possible I would investigate the 1959 substitution.

4. If the 59 was unfeasable I would reinstall the 57, as is, and mearly plug the vacuum line.

Number 4 is the situation I'm running with no problems and no more oil mist in the engine intake system.

I have no knowledge of electric motors but they seem to be out there. If you plan on showing your car you most likely will be gigged if you use one...........Bob

Yeah I am going to show this one. So anything I do will have to be well thought out and if conversions are made they will need to be covert.

Too bad you are getting fingered with so much trouble with your engine vacuum pump. I have had 3 1957 Buicks at one time or another and never had this problem you are having. (Knock on a woody). My thoughts are to rebuild the oil pump and vacuum pump and reinstall. If that is not possible then I would install a 1959 oil pump and look for an electric external vacuum pump setup. I have not researched it yet, but surely there must be an electric vacuum pump setup out there that could assure adequate vacuum. Perhaps and adjustable valve that could help balance the needed vacuum to Buick operating specs for the wipers. Your input is appreciated and noted.

David

Bhigdog has it right. The one thing that I might add is; there are aftermarket electric wiper conversions available. I have substituted a '56 Chevy electric with 2 speed in place of the vacuum motor. That is a simple adaptation and is controlled by the same method as the Buick.

Dan

Can you provide pictures and a description of exactly what you used and how you adapted it?

Thanks!

"..... and Controlled by Buick."

What does that mean exactly? You somehow keep the interior mounted slide control unit and install an electrical diode siide switch while using the original handle or do you negate that and install some underdash switch setup?

Just guessing here.

But not to help in hyjacking my own post, and getting back to the heart of the matter, I am still interested in finding a source for my original engine mounted rebuild unit.

It was suggested by someone, that some nordic dude in sweden would be the only person on planet earth that rebuilds these vacuum units. I contacted this nordsman and he told me that he only works Cadillacs and does not work on Buick vacuum pumps.

So my search continues. . .

David

So Dan, that means when you press the windshield washer button inside you still get the washers to spray the windshield.? Also, the lever inside for the control of the wipers is connected to a wire/cable that runs to the central under hood vacuum unit, and when you go electric this original wire cable just connects to the new electrical unit?? Do I have this right? I thought that the original lever control inside is connected to a vacuum line? I have yet to take mine apart to see.

David

The vacuum line that goes inside to the push button. When you push the button, the co-ordinator moves the motor switch to the on position as the washer pump provides solvent to the windshield. As the vacuum to the co-ordinator is depleated the switch moves to the park position and the wiper motor stops. - Dan

Very comprehensive post indeed regarding what most of us would consider a nice upgrade yet keeping everything in the driver's seat AOK and original.

I will read this over and thanks. I have yet to get my Roadmaster out of hibernation so I will play with the wiper issue when things are running. The last 57 I had was in 1973 and never had an issue with the wipers. They just worked when I needed them to.

Question: If one decides to go electric, then the smart thing to do would be to drop the pan and install the 59 oil pump without the vacuum pump so one would not have to worry about the oil/smoking problem as described earlier, if it decides to go out. Or does one only need to plug the vacuum line coming up from the pump? I ask this since I will be in the pan soon and have to decide what to do. Keep the original setup as is and rebuild, or install a 59 pump, or just rebuild the oil pump I have and then just plug the vacuum pump line and keep everything together?

David

This is the third '57 that I have owned. One, a Blue Caballero started the oil smoke thing on me. I just capped the line from the vacuum pump, then installed the '56 Chev. electric. I did not use the co-ordinator on either Caballeros. I do intend to convert the Roadmaster back to vacuum in order to maximize the 400 point goal. - Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Kejsaren
Here are a couple of photos of a '56 Chevy 2 speed wiper motor mounted and controlled by Buick.

Dan

Hi Dan

i think this is a greta idea

i´ve look for the 56 wiper motor but i cant see any objekt with the unit on top of it seen in your picture, the one that the wacuum line goes too, what is that ??

Janne

Guest Rob McDonald

I'll be hauling the nailhead and Dynaflow out of my Buick in a week of so but I don't plan to do anything with the oil/vacuum pump. When I was driving the car regularly, the engine had great oil pressure and the wipers worked, sort of. There was no problem with oil being sucked through the pump into the intake stream. The wipers were slow and temperamental but the original vacuum hoses were all dried-out and cracked at the ends.

When I get it all back together with new rubber lines all 'round, I'll see how the wipers and washer work. If they're not good enough, then I'll plug off the pump's vacuum port and go looking for an electric wiper motor out of a Chevy.

I think the non-original installation in Dan's red Roady ragtop* looks terrific! The only time a judge is ever going to be looking under the hood of my Buick, is if one of my gear-headed lawyer friends happens to get elevated to The Bench.