1938 DeSoto Custom

Guest Classiccars

Guest Classiccars

I put this on the DeSoto forum but it doesn't look like it gets much activity, so I'm puttin this here too.

The latest edition of Collectible Automobile has an article about the 1938-39 DeSotos. It says that in March of 1938, DeSoto came out with a Custom edition. Don Butler's book on Plymouth and DeSoto mentions there were 2,550 made.

Has anyone ever seen one? Also, the CA article says there was a brochure issued at the time for just the Custom. Has anyone ever seen one of those brochures? I don't find one on ebay.

-Jim

Hello, Jim. I am the author of "Prime Time" that appears in the August 2010 edition of "Collectible Automobile."

The National DeSoto Club printed information about the 1938 Custom in the May-June, 1992 issue of "DeSoto Adventures." I do not have my copy open in front of me. As I recall, a member purchased an unusual 1938 DeSoto sedan. Another member, Jeff Godshall, recognized the car as being the same car described by a 1938 Custom brochure that he owned. Photos of the car and the brochure appeared in "Adventures."

Best Regards,

Dave Duricy

Edited by daveduricy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

I'm trying to help my father-in-law find the value of his 1938 Desoto Custom 4 dr. sedan. He bought it restored in the late 1990's I believe. He used to bring it to car shows, but because of ill health has not done it in awhile and would like to sell it. As far as I know it is in very good condition. From my research the 1938 Custom appears to be a rare model. His insurance papers show an engine number consistent with that model. If someone could give me a range of values, I would appreciate it. I could supply a photo when he finds it. So far I have not been able to find a photo of this model online. Thanks for any help.

Barb

Generally without photos it is nearly impossible to put a very good range on the value of a particular car. Posting photos would help. As a general rule, 4 door sedans are usually at the back of the line in terms of value for different body styles. I know that 38 3 window coupes bring 15 to 25k dollars in decent/good condition. I'm going to guess that your father-in-law's car would be no more than 10k if it was really nice. But condition is critical.

Generally without photos it is nearly impossible to put a very good range on the value of a particular car. Posting photos would help. As a general rule, 4 door sedans are usually at the back of the line in terms of value for different body styles. I know that 38 3 window coupes bring 15 to 25k dollars in decent/good condition. I'm going to guess that your father-in-law's car would be no more than 10k if it was really nice. But condition is critical.

Thanks for the quick reply. My in-laws are trying to find photos of their car. The problem is they are 300 miles from me and the car is an additional 50 miles away from them in storage, a trip they can't make by themselves. I understand condition is critical and hopefully I can get up there soon and get more information. I remember seeing it a number of years ago and there were no obvious flaws, in fact looked new.

The reason I was trying to get a ball park figure now is that the owner of the storage unit has said he would be interested in buying it for $ 5,000 which is less than half of what my father-in-law paid for it and some improvements were made since then. I want to make sure this person is making a fair offer and not trying to take advantage of my father-in-law's situation. From ads I have seen online $5,000 seems pretty low. We're not looking to make a killing, just want to get a fair price. I hoped the fact that it is a rare Custom might help the price.

I will definitely post photos when I get them.

Barb

Jim, or Dave, if either of you are still subscribed, what features made a late '38 DeSoto model part of the "Custom" offering? How would I recognize one? There is a '38 DeSoto on a ranch near here but I have to go back with a chain saw to get closer to it for all the trees that have grown around it. Thanks.