Coil Resistor? 68 Wildcat

lancemb

Can somebody help clear this up?

I went to replace the ignition coil on a 68 Wildcat, and the corroded wire to the external resistor (that was wired to the coil + lead) broke off right where it connects into the resistor. I cannot find a new resistor anywhere. How vital is this? This seems to be such a simple part, I cannot believe that I can't find it.

What am I missing here??

It will run without the resistor (if bypassed), but the points will quickly burn (if not bypassed it will try to start only). Try this SITE...for ideas on name of part and part numbers. Then go to a parts store that has books and someone who knows how to read one.

Willie

You have a ballast resistor system, which runs a 9 volt coil, feeding it with 12 volts to give a big spark for starting and then running at 9 volts through the resistor.

The coil and resistor are generic components, so your local motor factor should be able to supply replacements, unless you wish to replicate the exact appearance of the old one.

Make sure you have it connected as I inferred above, because there will be two feeds to the coil from the ignition switch, one direct ( for starting) and one via the resistor for running.

If your coil is elderly, a new one will give a much better spark. Coils tend to degrade over the decades, so why not replace the whole set (and the condesor too), it will improve the engine no end.

Adam..

I ordered a coil with built-in resistor; I'd rather try that than have a goofy-looking resistor on it. If I did find another one, I don't even know what resistance it is supposed to be! I haven't installed it yet.

ALSO - does anyone know what the gap should be on the points for a 68 Wildcat?