Or Trade Henderson 4 Cyl Aircraft Engine

Guest 1915Stude

Guest 1915Stude

This 4 cyl air-cooled engine is circa 1918 to 1924. Original make - Henderson motorcycle. The valve chamber is open air, and carb and cylinder head valve plugs look like 1915s era. Has been converted for home built (Heath Henderson) aircraft use with finned, streamlined, aluminum crankcase, alum intake manifold, prop shaft extension riveted to crank, and rough stub exhaust pipes.

Has original spark plugs - mica insulated, magneto, and carburetor. A model T wheel hub fits the crank for possible attachment of a propellor. It is in nice condition internally - low mileage, and dusty and a bit greasy on the outside. No wear visible on the crank or bearings or cylinders. However the valve plugs are mismatched. The magneto puts out a great spark, but I've never tried to run it as it needs a proper engine mount and prop to deliver air cooling.

It is probably not practical to convert it back to motorcycle use as the aluminum engine block which contains the main crank bearings appears to have been cut away to reduce weight, since the MC transmission was not needed for use in an aircraft.

The displacement is small, estimated at about 80 cubic inches, and as I recall, it was rated about 20 HP at 2,500 rpm in a motorcycle.

I've had it 48 years so there is no hurry, but if you have a fairly rust free, restorable motorcycle of about the same age, for which new tires can be purchased, let's discuss a trade. I'm also amenable to cash.

Contact me with your questions, and I will get some photos taken for any serious inquiries.

1915 era? You have touched on an important issue with regards to Henderson engines. "Detroit" Hendersons ie those built in Detroit pre 1918 before Schwinn bought them out ( The Henderson brothers that is) and moved the factory to Chicago as an addition to his Excelsior line, are rare and sought after to such an extent that butchered engine cases with sawn off trannys are being welded back together. My guess is that you have a mid 1920's Deluxe which formed the basis for every Heath I have ever seen. The supply of Deluxe engines in whole condition has not yet dried up however there are many looking for late 1928 Deluxe "Ricardo" cylinders including ME! If this engine has these I would be interested in purchasing it. I can send you a few images of what to look for.There are others also interested in good cranks and internal parts so I suspect you have something of value there. I personally would not be brave enough to fly in a Heath powered ultralight and I think most aviation collectors and museums probably already have a Heath as I have seen quite a few around.

Guest 1915Stude

Thank you, Barry Brown, for your extremely useful information. The engine must be a pre 1918 Henderson, which I never knew about before. It has individually cast, iron L head cylinders with vertically finned, fine thread, aluminum valve caps over each valve. Each cyl. and head is cast as one piece, with no head gaskets needed.

Overall, the engine looks old, like early teens. The valve springs and cam follower adjustments are wide open to the atmosphere, with no apparent provision for lubrication. The carb, though, is a Zenith Pat. Dec. 28, sidedraft entrance and updraft to a central entry to an aluminum inlet manifold.

On the side of the engine block, along the edge of the magneto flange, and just below the magneto is a number: 2230 112

On a front corner of the streamlined crankcase is: 112

On the magneto itself is: FF4 S75 No 3240 889

An oil pump is located externally on the rear of the engine.

The gross weight of the engine is about 110 pounds. Due to this, I decided long ago that it was rather heavy for powering a 254 lb ultralight, though I was not worried so much about reliability. It is 4 - stroke, pressure lubricated, and rather low output per cubic inch.

I purchased the engine from a mechanic in Keene, VA circa 1955.

Hopefully, this will help differentiate the engine from later versions with "Deluxe" Ricardo cylinders.

Your engine is 1920 or later as the first L head engine was introduced in that year. All previous Henderson engines were F head Inlet over exhaust. 1920 was also a significant year with the introduction of full pressure oiling a vast improvement over the previous rod 'dippers"

There was a company (I believe in MI) that bought Henderson engines in the 10s & 20s and modified them for use on their propeller driven ice boats that were popular on the Great Lakes. Could this be an engine off of an ice boat?

According to factory Zenith literature:

Zenith model T 3 1/2 was sold to Henderson in 1920 and 1921.

Zenith model T 4 was sold to Henderson in 1922 and 1923.

The model should be stamped on the bowl cover.

In the FWIW category, the Zenith T was had a thin wall cast iron throttle body with a zinc alloy venturi. Over time, the venturi "grew", causing the cast iron throttle body on most to be cracked in the general area of the venturi.

Jon.

T4X WAS MID TWENTIES TO 28

Not surprising to learn the T4 was used later than 1923. We often find that the low production vehicles used carburetors long after the carburetor company records show (if they didn't run out of the initial order, why buy more).

Jon.

Guest 1915Stude

To jdome, that's interesting that Hendersons were used for prop driven iceboats. I didn't realize Hendersons were common.

There's no iceboating in Central Virginia, though. The probability of someone here having had a Heath Henderson aircraft is much, much higher. The largest lake I've seen freeze over here was five acres, and that only solidly for about one week, a half dozen times in 60 years.

To carbking, there is no model number on the float bowl cover. I got a better look and here is a corrected copy of everything cast on the cover:

ZENITH

DETROIT - U.S.A.

PAT. DEC. 29, 08

The float bowl and cover and associated 90 degree elbow and venturi, and separate air inlet both appear to be brass (nonmagnetic). The uptake portion that connects with the manifold is magnetic and must be cast iron. No visible part of the carb is pot metal. The body of the carb has "6 26" stamped in it in tiny numbers.

The carb bore and exit to manifold, is larger than on any Model T carb. The air inlet is 1.56" bore and has a "bale" or "bail" or heavy wire (.132") clip, almost surely intended to hold an air filter, of about 3" diameter X 3" length.

The engine has a red 7/8" OD phenolic tube about a foot long that carries the wires to the plugs.

Could the tall valve caps with six vertical, radial fins each, 1.7" base diameter and in 1.7" or 2.7" height, be an aftermarket accessory or add on? They look too antique to have come on a new engine in 1920-23.

To Barry Brown; the "T4X" you mention is not on anything I've posted, or on this engine. Is that a Zenith carb type?

1915Stude - the model should be STAMPED (a recessed set of letters and numbers) into the carb bowl cover. The zinc alloy (pot metal) venturi is located INSIDE the carburetor. Open the throttle plate and the venturi is the "necked-down" item below the throttle plate.

And the T4X superceded the T4; so having a T4X would not necessarily indicate a later engine.

Jon.

• 2 months later...
Guest Cengine
This 4 cyl air-cooled engine is circa 1918 to 1924. Original make - Henderson motorcycle. The valve chamber is open air, and carb and cylinder head valve plugs look like 1915s era. Has been converted for home built (Heath Henderson) aircraft use with finned, streamlined, aluminum crankcase, alum intake manifold, prop shaft extension riveted to crank, and rough stub exhaust pipes.

Has original spark plugs - mica insulated, magneto, and carburetor. A model T wheel hub fits the crank for possible attachment of a propellor. It is in nice condition internally - low mileage, and dusty and a bit greasy on the outside. No wear visible on the crank or bearings or cylinders. However the valve plugs are mismatched. The magneto puts out a great spark, but I've never tried to run it as it needs a proper engine mount and prop to deliver air cooling.

It is probably not practical to convert it back to motorcycle use as the aluminum engine block which contains the main crank bearings appears to have been cut away to reduce weight, since the MC transmission was not needed for use in an aircraft.

The displacement is small, estimated at about 80 cubic inches, and as I recall, it was rated about 20 HP at 2,500 rpm in a motorcycle.

I've had it 48 years so there is no hurry, but if you have a fairly rust free, restorable motorcycle of about the same age, for which new tires can be purchased, let's discuss a trade. I'm also amenable to cash.

Contact me with your questions, and I will get some photos taken for any serious inquiries.

Can you send me some additional information regarding your engine, pictures, price and shipping options.