in the process of buying my first buick

I am currently in the process of buying my very fist buick. I can't say that the car I'm buying is in nice shape or even runs, but I have wanted it for several years now so I deceided to just get it.

The car is a 1983 Buick Riviera 20th Anniversary. It has wire wheels and a fiberglass top with fabric over it. The car appears to be very saveable so I am having it taken straight to a mechanic to fix the brakes and go over the engine and get it runing. I can do alot but I can't do major components like brakes, major engine stuff, etc.

Was also thinking about buying a 1973 Riviera.

Good luck with the Riv! I wasn't even looking for one, but happened on an 83 Riv convertible in a town nearby. It's in pretty nice running shape, about 90,000 miles. The book says they only made about 1700 of them, so I would think it will be collectible some day. Haven't bought it yet, but the price is very reasonable, if only more room in my storage building!! For years I have wanted a 70 Riv because I like the fender skirts and the only year they had them; and have always wanted a 65 Riv because I like the clam shell hidden headlights! Maybe I'll hit the lottery someday. . .!

A lot of 83 Riv owners are very satisfied with their cars. I hope you become one of them.

Good luck.

BTW, I'd suggest you tackle one car at a time. It gets depressing looking at a group of non running vehicles when all you want to do is drive.

I made a mistake on the year of the other buick riviera I am looking at possibly buying. Turns out it's a '67 and not a '73. Everyone says that it's horribly ugly and that they don't like the way the car looks, oh well.

I guess the old saying " beauty is in the eye of the beholder " is fitting here, but I have never heard anyone describe a 67 Riviera as " horribly ugly ".

I know for a long time, particularly when new in 1971 and 1972 the Boat-tail Riviera was not well received but that has certainly turned around now and they are very desirable.

I think all early Rivs seem to have a very strong following regardless of year and I would certainly consider a nice 67 at the right price.

You can get pretty much all the mechanical stuff. If an exact gasket can't be found, one can always be cut from a sheet of material. Where it may get interesting is in things like body and trim pieces. If the body and interior are essentially complete, then you ought to be in good shape with a '67 Riviera.

It isn't my favourite generation of Rivs, but that is just my opinion. Don't buy or pass up a car because someone else likes or doesn't like it (unless perhaps it is the opinion of someone you happened to marry). Make the deal based upon what you like.

Good luck.